Retro Gaming
  • Yeah, sd2snes uses fgpa to emulate most of the chips. Anything I want to play will be supported.

I did a geeky post a few months ago about input lag comparing my emulator, snes, crt, monitor, steam link, etc. The emulator is as responsive as real hardware on the crt.

But emulator <> real hardware and monitor <> crt.

Birthday next week and Mrs mrsmr2 is offering to contribute towards one. Decisions.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    A CIB JP copy of Ghouls and Ghosts for Megadrive is waiting for collection at my local Argos.

Drool.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Oh I say - this is immaculate - almost too good. Don't think it's a repro - quality too high.

F3yYFes.jpg

wtBzUan.jpg
  • nice box gonz, like the gamie genie. Some $$ in there mate.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    What a world of alts we live in.

Sigh. I see little value is keeping up with it, so I don't.

Anyhoo - MD G&G is a great turn. Indeed it less of a handful than Super but it's no walkover.
  • Ever played the Master System version Davy? Was an interesting port, added perma-upgrades like faster boots, along with some choice of which perks to choose. SNES GnG was evil, I managed to finish it on GBA but I absused the save system by switching the power off instead of wasting continues (it saved at the start of each stage iirc). All good games, Ultimate GnG is definitely worth playing too.
  • Maximo sits next to Shinobi as the main PS2 games I wish I hadn't ignored (along with Gradius V, which I bought and sold without unwrapping). I think I was annoyed at both for the move to 3D, but it makes no sense now as I was playing plenty of similar games at the time.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Played the CPC464 version and arcade versions of Ghosts and Goblins. That's the game I always go back to.  I usually play the Wii VC port which is solid. I actually experienced it in the arcade where its design was a crowd pleaser. It's in my top 100 list thread entry.

PS2 got Ghosts & Goblins , Ghouls and Ghosts arcade and Super Ghouls and Ghosts as part of Capcom Collection vol.1

However it has no 60Hz option so I'm not sure as to how accurate they are - though Ghosts and Goblins feels the same as the Wii VC version running. Those old arcade games didn't run at 60Hz (probably not even 50Hz). They don't feel squashed or stretched either. It depends how the devs match up the console resolution & framerate to the original game's I suppose.

Super on PS2 has no slowdown so it's probably the best version of that to play. I'm sure there are tougher games than Super but I can't think of one right now.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Maximo sits next to Shinobi as the main PS2 games I wish I hadn't ignored (along with Gradius V, which I bought and sold without unwrapping). I think I was annoyed at both for the move to 3D, but it makes no sense now as I was playing plenty of similar games at the time.

I'm in the ignore 3D school. Many of the enjoyable mechanics of the original games are grounded in 2D and rarely make the transition. It's too easy to fall into the generic trap and have a upgrade just feel like another 3D roamaround in a skin.

You should get hold of Gradius V. Gorgeous game though its difficulty spoils the party a tiny bit.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Tried PS2 Capcom Collection version of Ghosts and Goblins. It has been adjusted for speed for 50Hz but the music sounds off. Sometimes it sounds faster than it should and then OK in other places. 

You can adjust the image size and ratio to account for borders so while there are borders, the image isn't squashed so it's a decent enough attempt. Why they didn't just add a 60Hz mode, which on a PS2 just means running in NTSC, I do not know. Vol. 2 has that option. Weird.

Ghouls and Ghosts seems to play well too and the music doesn't sound off but I haven't really got a frame of reference for that having not played the original in the arcade.  Super G&G plays well with no SNES slowdown but is as hard as feck.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    So I've been trawling through the various retro compilations I have for PS2. Haven't booted these up in an age.

What has surprised me has been that apart from Taito Legends 1&2 and Capcom vol. 2, they don't have a 60Hz option.  But as far as I can see they have done a grand job at 50Hz.

Mentioned Capcom Vol.1 earlier and as far as I can make out the games run at the proper speed (old arcade games ran at a low frame rate) and because there's an image adjust the games don't look squashed.  However Vol. 1 also has Streetfighter II, SF2 Champ and SF2 Turbo. These seem to play fine as far as I'm concerned but I'm not sure someone who knows them better would find them. The original SF2 feels really slow but then I moved to that after playing turbo.

Namco Anniversary is the same, but this time there are no borders at 50Hz. You also still have an image size adjustment. It's a pity there's no TATE mode though as these would fill a rotated 4:3 CRT beautifully. The PS1 namco discs had this option so it's a mystery why this was dispensed with. But on my CRT these games look great - better than I remember.  The one downside of this collection is the loadtimes going between the menu and the games but apart from that it's great.

Midway Arcade Treasures 1&2 - again not 60Hz. But no big borders and image adjustment options. And again they feel as if they play at full speed. The only downer with this one is Smash TV which seems to suffer from flicker - it's probably some sort of interlace effect but it's one game to avoid. Vol. 2 has Mortal Kombat 2 which looks OK to me but again - it would be interesting to hear from someone who knows the game better. Vol. 2 hasn't much else to interest me though - however it does have Xybots and they have managed to map the controls onto the PS2 pad really well. The original game had a twistable stick for turning (Xybots is a very early arcade FPS) and the shoulder buttons work really well in its place.  Also Total Carnage in on there which has had a great solid treatment here.

Taito Legends 1&2 are great and have 60Hz. But trying them at 50Hz is painful - Bubble Bobble is butchered for example - so unless you can use 60Hz these collections should be avoided.  Darius Gaiden on this collection doesn't feel right for some reason but maybe that's because I have the faultless Saturn version.

The main problem with many retro compilations are the limitations of a standard pad. This is more noticeable with some of the Atari arcade games which is why I offloaded the Atari compilation. Too many of those games had vector displays which a PS2 can't recreate and/or have control schemes that require wheels, yokes, spinners , rollers etc.   There are only a few games on the above collections I noticed it being a real problem - Super Sprint is more or less unplayable without a wheel for example. They made a fair attempt with Paperboy on the Midway disc using the 2 analogue sticks but it's still a compromise.

I was expecting these to be a disappointment when I returned to them but in actual fact they are quite splendid for an old retro head like me. They are legal and don't require faffing about with in MAME, and there doesn't seem to any compromises (apart from Ghosts & Goblins and its music on Capcom Vol.1). There's also multitap support for those games that support it which is nice.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'm pretty ignorant of the MD catalogue I have to admit.

So I'm always glad to see something like this.
  • Is it known whether or not the Megadrive Mini will be hackable yet? There's a decent article on the console in RetroGamer this month, but no mention of adding ROMs. Looks to be a very well made package as is though.
  • The Polymega ( the emu console that plays virtually everything) is getting a light gun made for it that works with non cathode ray TVs which is pretty cool and sort of amazing given that it will work with old light gun games without any reverse engineering.

I quite like the look of it too:
    https://www.polymega.com/2019/06/05/light-gun/
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • That’s a really nice invention. If I understand correctly, it’s constantly triangulating its own position and attitude relative to the TV screen and calculating line of fire from that – then transmitting the info in a format that reads just like an old-fashioned CRT lightgun.
  • poprock wrote:
    That’s a really nice invention. If I understand correctly, it’s constantly triangulating its own position and attitude relative to the TV screen and calculating line of fire from that – then transmitting the info in a format that reads just like an old-fashioned CRT lightgun.

So this tech could be used by Namco for example on PS4?

Could light guns make a comeback?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • It’s feasible. Depends how well it works and whether this guy is up for licensing his tech. Looks like he will be, given he’s licensed it to Polymega already …
  • Fingers crossed then.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Love that yo went straight to Namco as Time Crisis and Point Blank were pretty much God tier
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Criminal that Point Blank never got a Wii release, it couldn't have been a more perfect fit.
  • Virtua Cop would have been nice too. That got a nice re-release on PS2.

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • A lethal enforcers double pack with police trainer would be nice.

• Virtua Cop and gun pack please. Would pay £59.99 (again).
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Point Blank would have been a perfect match.  Pity Virtua Copy didn't get a release either.
  • TOP FIVE LIGHTGUN GAMES. GO!

1. Operation Wolf
    2. House of the Dead: Overkill
    3. Space Gun
    4. Point Blank
    5. Silent Scope
  • Virtua Cop
    Vampire Night
    Ninja Assault
    Confidential Mission
    Ghost Squad
  • 1. Virtua Cop

Then all the rest, I don't think there's such a thing as a bad light gun game.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • yes even Mad Dog

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Time Crisis (hundreds of pounds spent on that game)
    Typing of the Dead (just to be a dick)
    Point Blank
    Some movement sensing thing in Sega World Bournemouth, you could duck and take cover, was super fun, if a on gimmick pony, but all light gun games are a gimmick anyway
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!