• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    OK.

Pro Pinball The Web and Athlete Kings still available.

Both fine examples of their genre.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I was never going to pre-pay for the supposed new Atari console but it's getting clearer that it was a good move not to.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/AMP/2019/09/25/atari_retro_console/
  • Anyone played The Ninja Saviors on SNES? Very interested in the redo but it's a bit too pricey at the mo.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Never even heard of it to be honest.
  • Nor had I before the remaster.  Looks good though:

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Not my genre but looks stupendous. I used to play these casually with mates and they are a riot but as a 1CC thing (which is very much my bag - I rarely get satisfaction from progress based games) I could never get on with that type of game.

I love the souped up 2D 16bit look.
  • I put some time into that on my Pi.
    Looks amazing for the time, even the original version.
    It was quite hard but good fun.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Busted 57K on Asteroids Dx yesterday.

Hadn't powered the game up in a fortnight. Just felt right. Sometimes I power it up and it feels like it is in beligerent mood. It's one of those zen games and sometimes you know a score is on , others when you know you just need to walk away.  :)

Wifey was badgering me for a lift - if I had been left alone I may have broke 60K....sigh.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Anyone played The Ninja Saviors on SNES? Very interested in the redo but it's a bit too pricey at the mo.

I believe it was The Ninja Warriors on the SNES, a remake of the 1987 arcade game of the same name, which was released on multiple formats.

65777861ab2b87d7cbfb5c081df2a11a.jpg
  • Yep, that's the one.

It's another SNES game that's gained popularity post market like Hagane, and is now expensive to pick up.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Yep, that's the one. It's another SNES game that's gained popularity post market like Hagane, and is now expensive to pick up.

I had the original on the Spectrum, I remember it being pretty decent, now I have an urge to get the Amiga version.

JNK0iQy.jpg
  • Artwork for the Amiga version is good, reminds me of my treasured Ninja Turtles graphic novel.
  • Loved the music from the first level in the arcade, especially the applause part.
    I think the game's gimmick was that it streamed levels from disk (or something).

EDIT: oh, and triple screen.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Enjoyed Hagane on SNES. It isn't a genre I'm massively into. I also had First Samuari for SNES which was a real early one. Liked it too. But. Sold 'em off. Hagane was cart only but still worth a pretty penny. I would have probably kept it if it was complete in box because I loved the real import feel to it and its baffling attract sequence.

I still prefer arcade Shinobi to them all. I'm also fond of arcade Rolling Thunder although that's more like an Elevator Actions style of game.
  • Posted on the deals thread too but:

3 free copies of Retro gamer no money or credit card details needed therefore no cancellation required.

I've just done it and it seemed to work a treat:
    https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/3-issues-of-retro-gamer-for-1-3305709
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Analogue have posted a teaser for an announcement on 16 October with a Game Boy colour scheme - seems like it might be the Analogue Pocket they trademarked the name for recently.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
  • Has anyone here dabbled in everdrives at some point?

Tempted to pick up a RGB modded NTSC N64, sell the PAL collection and just get an Everdrive 64.

I'd make a tidy profit and save some space, even though the NTSC console and Everdrive would set me back £180.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I've heard something about them possibly not being the right voltage although if you're getting a modded N64 purely for one it's not like you're risking the health of your childhood N64 or anything.
  • This is the one I was looking at, a newer one apparently.

https://gamesconnection.co.uk/products/everdrive-64-v3-ultra-cic-ii-grey

An N64 mini seems to becoming more and more unlikely and N64 emulation still isn't up to scratch, so this seems like the best solution to me.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    The guy that does cores for Analogue has basically said N64 isn't coming for a very, very long time and would be very difficult to do even if a big enough FGPA core were available so it's not looking great for a replacement for real hardware.
  • It's all gone quiet on the Ultra Retron too, I was quite hopeful about that as the retron5 done a good job imo.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Since getting an RGB modded NTSC N64 I have a notion to offload my PAL N64 games too which I suspect might make me some nice coin - at least enough for an everdrive.  I'd keep my JP imports though.

An everdrive running Bangai O and Dr Mario 64 would cost less than those 2 games.
  • Just passed by a shop window with some retro stuff. The prices they're trying to charge are scandalous.

€35 for cart only PAL MK64.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Just passed by a shop window with some retro stuff. The prices they're trying to charge are scandalous. €35 for cart only PAL MK64.

I know playing on nostalgia isn't new, but I think they overrate how much we miss "mk"
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Just passed by a shop window with some retro stuff. The prices they're trying to charge are scandalous. €35 for cart only PAL MK64.
    Some N64 games have gone up a fair bit tbf.
    I sold a cart only MK64 on eBay for not far off that a few months back, so add in the shop premium and that is about going rate.

SM64 is another one that has shot up. That was always a cheaper game because of the volume of them out there but it can go for about £15 now.
  • davyK wrote:
    Since getting an RGB modded NTSC N64 I have a notion to offload my PAL N64 games too.

About 10 years ago I sold my PAL SNES collection and replaced it all with NTSC. It ended up roughly like for like in price but I don't think I have it in me to bother doing that again with N64, even though it's a much smaller collection.

I think an everdrive will suffice. Plus that way I could check games out that I missed out on such a Goemon or curios like Space Station Silicon Valley.

LivDiv wrote:
    Some N64 games have gone up a fair bit tbf.

Indeed, its another reason whilst I'm thinking of doing this. After the initial high prices of retro generations they settle down a bit. NES isn't as expensive as it once was, SNES/MD seem to be peaking and N64 is starting its ascension into madness.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'd be content if I swapped my PAL N64 games for either CIB US or JP copies of my favourites. It would involve ending up with a smaller collection but it wouldn't bother me.

I always assumed CIB US N64 games would be easy to get but it doesn't seem to be easy compared to JP versions - so far at least.

I've picked up cart only US New Tetris so I might just plonk it in the PAL box and be content doing that. Not sure though - for games with lots of menus I'd prefer the US version even though the JP packaging is superior. But I'd sell PAL games CIB if I get them US or JP CIB.

Of course some PAL games with lots of text might not have got a US release so I'd consider keeping my PAL console for those even with the inability to play them using RGB SCART.  But most games I like don't have a lot of text as my tastes are arcade style stuff so it probably doesn't matter that much if I go all in on JP where I can.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Opened up my 4 switch US 2600 with composite mod last night. It's been something I've had put away as a project for years as I only get a b&w picture with it.

Tried it with my "new" CRT and tweaked the colour adjust pot in the console and I now have a colour display. :)    So now I can load my Harmony up with a complete NTSC ROM set.

However I am getting some interference which seems to be affected when I twiddle the cables and sounds seem to affect it too. Anyone any experience with 2600s?  My PAL version is RF as it's a pretty sweet picture but I'm limited to PAL60 ROMs I can either find or create myself.

Forums point to grounds in the wiring (they seem OK). It could also be the power supply and the cables so I'll try different ones.

Just wondering in case anyone else here fiddles with 2600s.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!