Retro Gaming
  • I’m leaving that there. You fuckers can click back a page if you want to see what’s REAL.
  • Played some ProGear, Alien Vs Predator and Strider :chef'skiss:
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Have watched the reviews of that Capcom thing. It does seem to be rather good.

@retroking1981's N64 purchase is a bold move but probably the right one. Certainly with respect to PAL games. JP boxes are rather collectable and I see me holding on to those for a good while. But I am tempted to sell my PAL games.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • nick_md wrote:
    qvtJ7hC.jpg Blasted one of those over lunch, looks ridiculous but surprisingly fun.

Empty filter sleeve, a copy of For Your Height Only and presumably a bag of can'ts cans tucked under the table.  Who works at a desk like this?
  • Hah, nice. Easy round tho.
  • Having nothing to do at work in front of the net is dangerous at times.

Just spent £350 on:

Boxed NTSC Nintendo 64 console
    Everdrive 64 X7
    EON Super 64 HDMI adapter

Looks like I'll be off loading the PAL collection sooner rather than later.

Wow decent splash of cash Retro. I'd be interested to hear what you think of the EON. Is it better than the RGB mod? Looks like a cool piece of kit though much like their GC add on.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    Yeah I've been thinking about an HDMI adapter for my GameCube. I should do a bit of investigating.
  • Carby is the cheaper option but the GCHD is viable too.
  • It was a bold purchase but something I've been humming and hawing about for some time now.

I'm confident my boxed PAL collection with 20 games including RE2 will see me profit in the long run.

If all goes well I'll have a superior setup and save some space in the process too. It'll also be nice to be able to play some 64 curios like Mystical Ninja 2 and get back some games I sold back in the day such as Hybrid Heaven, without breaking the bank.

I've received the NTSC N64, its in great condition so I'm pleased with that.

The EON HDMI adapter and Everdrive were both purchased from Games Connection and are on their way, so I should have them soon.

I will report back once its up and running.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Will be interested to hear what you think of it.

Mystical Ninja 2 is very good. I have a PAL copy of it. I believe it is worth a few bob as it's complete in box. It plays more like the SNES games with roaming sections and side on platforming sections - except they have a fake 3D look to them.
  • rzIiide.jpg

Love it. I like how all the 70s and 80s ones have a gold lighter on the cover.
  • Isn't that one from September?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Casio and seiko digital watches sum that period up nicely.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I'm going through the 1988 catalogue, the good shit starts at page 287.
  • Those Transformers prices from 1985. Bargains!
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • I was reading some stuff about Seiko. Some of their watches are now considered the best in the world and the watch company has split between posh Seiko and regular Seiko.

"Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I remember Seiko being top tier for watches when I was a kid.

I remember this voice over and slogan being used in their ads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVt4tEoSYF8
  • I know we all love a bit of Dreamcast in here. Noticed this on the BBC's home page which was nice to see. I've not listened
    to it yet so can't vouch for its quality:

httpss://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p07tbycq

Edit: Nothing new to hear here.
  • Just watched a video showing the Super 64 working on a GameCube which is quite cool. Whilst not being digital its not far off the proprietary GCHD device they produce.

Worth noting that it could also work on the SNES too if you mod the casing.
  • Received my Super 64 and Everdrive X7 last Friday. Been meaning so to a write up, sorry for the delay.

Only booted up a few big hitters but they all played flawlessly on the ED. If that's the case with all games, which I'm sure it is as it's running on real HW then it's a huge thumbs up from me.

Onto the Super 64...

It's undeniably good, the best your N64 will ever look on modern TVs. I didn't notice any lag whatsoever, which I have on raspberry pi's and retron consoles so I think it's great in that respect.

One annoying thing is the slick mode. Its good but you enable it by pushing a small button on the unit, it's not a on/off button though and resets to off by default every time your turn off the N64. So if you like the smoothing effect you'll have to push that button every time you power up. Not a deal breaker but still annoying.

As far as the picture quality goes the standard HDMI mode has more vibrant colours than composite and s-video and the slick mode introduces additional anti-aliasing which imo works really well, but others may disagree and prefer the raw pixelated look. It's optional though so that's win/win. There's plenty of reviews on YouTube and they're all on point, so check one of those out if you want to learn more.

The negative is that its only 480p, which is a noticeable step down from Wii U Virtual Console releases.

So are they worth it? That's entirely down to the individual and your love for the console.

N64 emulation is still rough and all those games that never made it to VC will never look better. Personally I'm really happy and am looking forward to checking out all the games I drooled over in N64 Magazine but didn't get to buy.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Sounds sweet. The one N64 game I am burning to try is Bangai O. It's a different game from the Dreamcast version; at least with respect to gameplay rules. I think the fruit has more of a role in powering up for example instead of just points on DC. Would be interesting to compare the two.

It's not hard to find the game, but it's not cheap. Genki games had a boxed copy for £50 a few years ago I dawdled over. No way you would get that price now. It's price probably makes an sd-cart a viable proposition even though I'd miss the physical item.
  • The Dreamcast version of Bangai-O is an all-timer for me.  I only played through it the once, after picking it up maybe a month after launch for a measly £9.99, but it's a genuinely outstanding game and worthy of consideration as Treasure's best.
  • I also like the DS version.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • I preferred the DS version due to the variety, not played the 64 version.

Wasn’t a fan of the 360 version although it was able to chuck a mahoosive amount of missiles on screen.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Saturn is 25 today.

One of the best with respect to how well it has aged.

4MB versus fighters, 2D shooters, Nights, Baku Baku et al. I still love it.
  • Even Sega Rally and Virtua Fighter 2 still look good.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Just had email confirmation that my Dreamcast Collected Works book will be shipping sometime in November which was a pleasant surprise I thought it was a while away yet.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Not sure how significant this is. An update on the beleaguered Atari VCS project. Looks a bit brighter.

https://medium.com/@atarivcs/atari-vcs-q-a-with-coo-michael-arzt-645c1a6d3e0

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!