Retro Gaming
  • Playing through Metroid Prime for the first time, it looks beautiful even now. It must have looked incredible in 2003, 60fps too.
    Great sound, also.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Kind of jealous of anyone playing this for the first time.  A joyous game.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • MoesTavern wrote:
    Playing through Metroid Prime for the first time, it looks beautiful even now. It must have looked incredible in 2003, 60fps too.
    Great sound, also.

Aye, was a stunner.
  • Eric wrote:
    Just had email confirmation that my Dreamcast Collected Works book will be shipping sometime in November which was a pleasant surprise I thought it was a while away yet.

Came through this morning and looks lovely from the outside, but slightly disappointed with content. I will caveat that to say I only had a flick but it doesn't seem as well curated compared to the Mega Drive complete works I bought a few years ago.

Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    Eric wrote:
    Eric wrote:
    Just had email confirmation that my Dreamcast Collected Works book will be shipping sometime in November which was a pleasant surprise I thought it was a while away yet.
    Came through this morning and looks lovely from the outside, but slightly disappointed with content. I will caveat that to say I only had a flick but it doesn't seem as well curated compared to the Mega Drive complete works I bought a few years ago.

Waiting for mine to arrive here in Aus, I'll be sad if this turns out to be the case as the MegaDrive one was ace, and the DC one was delayed so they could get it done properly I thought too.
  • My Mizuguchi signed copy hasn’t arrived yet :(
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I can't honestly say the Dreamcast book feels like a step down to me? The initial essay section has been intermixed with the production document section compared to the Mega Drive book, which I'm not a huge fan of, but it generally seems on a par other than that - in fact I think the page count is higher?
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Had another flick through and I'm probably being overly harsh. It's a good book but I don't think it's as good as the MD one. The images are beautiful and there's a lot of content however I will say most of the focus seems to be on Sonic, JetSet Radio and Shenmue, I would have liked a few more niche games like Outrigger, Ferari 355 etc but understand time constraints etc. Book size is smaller that the MD version, fonts are bigger (makes it look a little clunky imo) and numerous page breaks (using a saved by the bell type stock image) probably account for the higher page count.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    These kinds of books are unlikely to have much new content for the likes of us sadly. They are kind of destined to be a tiny bit disappointing.

I fancy the hardcore gaming 101 shmup book though. Only vol.1 at the minute, their next one covering later games would be a no brainer for me.
  • VAMPIRE ATTACK!!!
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • davyK wrote:
    These kinds of books are unlikely to have much new content for the likes of us sadly.

That's exactly how I feel. I've had various ones in the Amazon basket a few times but I always end up taking them out.

I just get the feeling I'd flick through once or twice, learn nothing and then put it in a cabinet with Guinness World Records books etc never to be touched again.

They do look nice though!
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    yeah - sort of thing I'd like to have bought for me instead of getting them myself.

I really liked The Art of Atari book though.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Posted this in the puzzle thread but belongs here more.

Got myself a copy of this.

8lhcU8p.jpg

Really nice release this. Every Sega Tetris game you can think of with a new one called New Century with all the modern features (follows the guidelines). Has various display options too  - 480i, 240p, 480p and 480p with scanlines. The old Sega arcade game is here with 2 different hardware emulation options. system-16 and the old E board.

Has the Megadrive version too which is nice.

Controls on New Century are really slick and there's a hardcore mode that ups the level every 4 lines that is even more sensitive. Infinite spins are optional (isn't of any benefit in the 40line and 3min modes but it's nice to be able to control this). New Century has a 3 piece preview queue.

Also has Flash Point and Bloxeed games thrown in for good measure.

Comprehensive
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Heh. Just found this thing has replay support as well. Comes with a handful of superplays to watch. :)
  • Loving your enthusiam davy. The PS2 is my most neglected console so much so that it was only when Escape gave me his modded console a year ago that I ended up taking interest. That console is currently on my repair bench for a new laser and fan repair (soldering job eeek) if it doesn't work I might have to add an external one.

Love all the Sega AGES 2500 releases on the Ps2, would love a full set. Might be pricy though!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye - some are very expensive now. I have the first PS2 Fantasy Zone disc - just has the arcade game and an update. There's a later disc that has all the console and 8bit ports but since I have Super Fantasy Zone on MD and the original game on saturn I've all the Fantasy Zone I need.

Galaxy Force is one I fancy but is an expensive one.

There's a columns one but the Saturn version is better - has far more content.

Virtua Racer looks nice too but it's another expensive one.

Maybe Space Harrier - will see. The Saturn version is probably just as good going by the description as I've no interest in console ports of that.

I got the Ps2 to play the likes of DoDonPachi DOJ and Espgaluda that got solid ports at sensible prices but of course that massive JP library is now open to me, PS1 included.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Seems this Tetris collection was coded by M2.

It shows.

The original Tetris arcade game generates the same sequence of pieces after power up - this version does too - but you can change that in the options.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Anyone hear of this? 3dSen "3d-ises" NES games.

Not Earth-shattering but nice. Coming out on Steam by all accounts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlmN5fr5l5Y
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Nintendo Play Station prototype up for auction:

https://www.polygon.com/2019/12/26/21038222/nintendo-playstation-auction-2020

Cross-posted to sins of the silicon thread.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Played around with the Everdrive 64 for a couple of hours this morning, playing ROMs and either keeping them with the intentions of one day playing (honest) or deleting them never to play again. 

I only gave them about 5-10mins each. All these games I either wanted back in the day or have since heard positives about from youtubers such as Glenn Plant.

Here's some brief thoughts:

Automobile Lamborghini - I read and heard some positives about this but its definitely a stay away for me. With racing games I instantly know if I'll like it by the controls and this is not for me.

Beetle Adventure Racing - a keeper, felt good to play and looked good for a game from the era, one I intend to actually play.

Destruction Derby - felt surprisingly good compared to the OG on PS which is the only other one I've played. Not sure on this one yet. Will need more time to decide.

Wipeout 64 - like the above I'm surprised to say I think this plays better than the OG on PS which is the only Wipeout I've ever owned. Will play more but one I can see myself deleting.

ExtremeG/Extreme G2 - controlled ok, but the foggy graphics coupled with the speed and pop up makes them ones to delete.

Hydro Thunder - pleasantly surprised by this one like DD64 above. One I'll definitely come back to but might not be a keeper in the long run.

Mickeys Speedway - felt very good, I'm guessing this just came too late in the N64s life for people to care, especially with MK64 and Diddy Kong being out so long.

Multi Racing Championship - definitely a product of its time with only three tracks like Sega Rally. Unlike that though this controls shit imo. One to delete. 

Polaris SnoCross - never heard of this until I saw it on Glenn Plants youtube channel as it was a NA exclusive. Like he did I found myself instantly enjoying the arcade action. Might very well keep afer playing more.

V-Rally 99 - another one I owned back in the day. A rare case of N64 pulling of those famous PS digitised graphics with no fog and little pop up. Its decent although inferior to the PS version, its also far to sim than arcade for my liking. Will delete.

Top Gear Overdrive - possibly the pick of the bunch, instantly fell in love with the controls, even more than Beetle Adventure Racing. Its definitely a keeper.

Nagano Winter Olympics 98 - I played this back in the day and remember getting some enjoyment out of it. Had a quick blast for old times sake but will be deleted.

NBA Hangtime - basically NBA Jam with 4 player so definitely a keeper.

NFL Blitz - Special Edition - the NFL equivalent of the above, pure arcade goodness, a keeper.

NHL Blades of Steel '99 - looking for an NHL equivalent and played this on the back of the name. Surprisingly enjoyed it more than...

Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey '98 - which got all the plaudits back in the day. Will have to give them both a bit more time to decide what I keep and delete.

Rampage World Tour - felt a bit clunky and I didn't have fun, will delete.

Robotron 64 - looks like a relic in dodgy early 3D clothing but plays like a dream, a keeper.

Sonic Wings Assault - quite impressive for the time I guess but with the genre coming so far its one you have no need to play these days outside of nostalgia, will delete.

Mace The Dark Age - curiosity got the best of me here. Its ok, something I'm guessing might have got something like a 3 in CVG. Not terrible but with so many superior games on the market this was one for N64 only owners at best.

Superman 64 - couldn't resist trying for myself before deleting

Tetris 64 - seemed bare bones to me which makes it redundant, I also have The New Tetris which I didn't get around to trying.

Tetrisphere - erm, help? I didn't really get it. I want to like it but I'm not sure I have the patience to bother.

Wetrix - unlike the above I get it but still not sure I can be bothered with it.

Anyone ever play any of the above and have opinions to share?

I still have 116 ROMs to go through, although that does include the 30 or so I owned and loved which are obviously keepers. Will report back on the others I try out when I have another lazy Sunday.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Mickey Racing - an example of Rare's technical ability being greater than its ability to create enjoyable games. Technically excellent but dull as ditchwater to play.

Tetris 64 A very good complement to New Tetris as it doesn't have the square forming mechanic and is more a straight up tetris game. Its 4 player battle mode is quite interesting in that you can send garbage to whomever you like one line at a time. Also has giga tetris modes with a combo / collapse rule making it enjoyable. But you have to be into Tetris. (This one also has the heart monitor features used in the bio tetris mode that uses your pulse to set the game speed). This was an early release that was JP only. I actually like the crisp look of it (mine is modded RGB SCART).

New Tetris is a rather nice game. 4 player support and a control pak feature that lets you stake some of the lines each player has made on their own cart or profile (which unlock new skins and tunes) in MP games which I doubt was ever tried by anyone. Voss tunes are excellent. It's main gimmick is that bonus lines are awarded by clearing lines that contain silver and gold 4x4squares. Gold squares are formed by arranging 4 of the same piece, silver by 4 different pieces. The shape randomiser seems to take this mechanic into account but maybe that's just my imagination. 4 player has several different modes to keep up the interest.

Tetrisphere It looks odd but once you get the rules it is very addictive. I'd play through the Tutorial as it isn't really a tetris game.

Wetrix Rock hard. You have to be into the genre to play this. And again - you really need to play through the tutorial which is very good and prepares you for the onslaught this game even in classic mode chucks at you.

Robotron 64 Rough as a badger's arse but plays great. Only thing I find is that games last a bit too long. Maybe I had the difficulty set too low. There's a 2 controller mode for twin stick but I've never tried that.

Haven't played it yet but Wipeout 64 is supposed to be very good. I wrote it off as a shit no-effort port and didn't touch it - but reviews are complimentary and YT videos show it to be rather nice.

Will be interested to hear if you can compare Bangai O with the DC version.
  • Wetrix is excellent.
    I am amazed there havent been more recent versions released, especially as it would look brilliant in HD.
  • davyK wrote:
    Haven't played it yet but Wipeout 64 is supposed to be very good. I wrote it off as a shit no-effort port and didn't touch it - but reviews are complimentary and YT videos show it to be rather nice.

Will be interested to hear if you can compare Bangai O with the DC version.

I was honestly shocked at how much better Wipeout 64 and Destruction Derby 64 played compared to the originals. I know they were early pre Dual Shock PS titles, but I wasnt even massively impressed when they were first out after the novatly of the amazing graphics wore off.

Bangai-O is a good shout, I'll download that and add it to the Everdrive to try out.

Had a go of The New Tetris and got 303 lines. That's by far the most I've ever got on any version, so the difficulty in that respect is very different in this one.

I know your big on your Tetris so it's interesting to read about all the different features of each one. I'll play around with them more but I'll probably end up deleting them as Tetris 99 has me covered and I still have my NES cart for the nostalgia.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Wetrix is excellent.
    I am amazed there havent been more recent versions released, especially as it would look brilliant in HD.

Definitely a game I could see being quite popular of the digital scene.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    @retroking1981 - Re those Tetris games - I tend to agree. I collect Tetris games and like comparing them - I have Tetris64 CIB and PAL New Tetris CIB and US-NTSC cart only. They have 4 player modes which always makes them worth a look but modern tetris games usually make older releases redundant.

New Tetris is kind of famous because there's a rant in the ascii dump of the ROM file.

https://tcrf.net/The_New_Tetris
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There's a bonkers tough game for N64 for Fire Electric Pen. Will be interesting to hear what you think about it if you can find the ROM. Also known as Ucchan Nanchan no Honō no Challenger: Denryū Iraira Bō

Check Excitebike64 if you haven't played. Superb game.
    Mystical Ninja 2 plays like the SNES originals. Excellent stuff. There's a US version so you can following the narrative which is nonsensical but might help with the gameplay.
    Star Soldier Vanishing Earth is a 2D shmup.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    VAMPIRE ATTACK!!!
    I found this terribly funny because it didn't seem to relate to anything that preceded it and was just Kart putting a thought into words.  Or, he's suffering a PTSD episode from a past vampire-related incident.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • @davyK I heard about that rant recently on an episode of the retro hour podcast. The same person did it in another game too, can't bloody remember what game though.

Will check out that JPN ROM, cheers. Excitebike 64 is one of the 30 I own and love and Mystical Ninja is all ready on the Everdrive. Gonna play that in co-op, the only other one I've played is the SNES one so I'm looking forward to how it compares.

I also have Star Soldier Vanishing Earth on there. I saw some yt videos that say it's only good by default as it's one of the only releases of the genre on the system. Co-op though so will no doubt play it.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Star Soldier on N64 is good if you like the Star Soldier series of shmups. It has a 2 and 5 min caravan score attack mode as well as the main game.

Games in this series look very humdrum until you start stumbling upon scoring tricks and hidden secrets - it's all about the score though so I wouldn't expect any big set pieces etc.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Me playing Fire Electric Pen. I've probably posted this already but I'm getting old and repeating myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otHVIXWl1mc

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!