Retro Gaming
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I don't really like the look of them. It's just as well as they seem to be very difficult to get. However if I find a bargain I'll take it. There's a few I'd like US CIB because it's a US exclusive or I don't have the PAL version. PAL versions seems to be getting very expensive now.

@Cheers Nina.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Tetrisphere is a grouping game. The Tetris moniker is a nonsense. They use some Tetrads as the pieces but that's the only link. It's a basic match 3 game really but the fact that it's in 3D and you can move pieces around and build up structures before performing a drop make it a game of skill.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Not of fan of these mini cab gizmos....but this.....

https://kotaku.com/sega-announces-mini-arcade-cabinet-filled-with-36-games-1844290153

Oh dear Lord yes.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Has anything used the gens emulator? Have installed it and located a few ROMs but it won't work. I think it's because I need a bios. I think I have that OK and I have loaded that as a ROM and it works (inasmuch as I get the classic MD boot screen) but if I set it as the bios in the settings the emulator still won't load a ROM...

Any ideas?
  • I have used gens in the past and can't remember it requiring a bios for md roms. You do need a bios for 32X and mega cd iirc. My current emulator is Kega Fusion. Works a treat and fairly accurate with master system, gamegear, md, mcd and 32X. Compatibility is pretty good too. All on windows mind you, not sure on other platforms.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Thought I had it there - unzipped the ROMS (though the doc says it supports them) but it runs like a dog and then crashes.  I'm on Windows 10 - might be that. A 64 bit thing perhaps.

Cheers @hunk ... I'll try that emu out.
  • Kega Fusion is rated slightly higher than GenS in terms of accuracy.
    Great emulator and together with snes9x essential for 16-bit retro emulation heads.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Works great...thanks @hunk.

:)
  • Anyone here got a soft spot or any memories of Cruis'n USA? I just blasted through it on my Everdrive.

Its a really odd game, it's undeniably bad but there's something I find enjoyable about it.

I think it's because it reminds me of the excitement of next gen back in 1994 when the N64 was still the Ultra 64.

I did eventually buy it when it reached the UK, but despite having a few hours of fun I returned to EB with their no questions asked 10 day return policy, the only time I did that in fact.

It's popularity always surprised me, it was a big deal in the arcades and sold 1.72M copies on N64. To put that into perspective, that's more than Jet Force Gemini, Paper Mario, Pilotwings 64, Banjo-Tooie, Mario Golf, the Turoks and yes... F-Zero X.

All this on the back of being, well... shit.

As an arcade game it was miles behind Ridge Racer, Daytona and even Virtua Racing really, but I guess I can see the appeal back in 94 though. 50p or whatever it was to play a mindless racer across the USA would have been worth at least one go.

Anyone got anything to add? I'm probably gonna check out the sequels on the Everdrive at some point.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I had Cruisn' USA. It was good in a shit way. It did have a certain something. Not in the same league as F-Zero X. Was a victim of my clearout.
  • I've never played it but I think this could open up quite an interesting debate about critically reviled games that you enjoyed!
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • I remember the arcade Cruisin' USA. Was not impressed with it after the likes of Daytona and Ridge/Rage Racer. It looked like a polygon superscaler hybrid; not bad but very dated compared to sega and namco's offerings.
  • Only played Cruisin USA briefly but it was one of those games that did seem to have a following despite not reviewing well or appearing to be particularly good.  Twisted Metal was another one I couldn't really work out, but it had a following.

Shit games you enjoyed is a topic I can get behind.

Spent a lot of time with Rastan Saga II as a kid, which came with my Megadrive.  Was nowhere near as good as the original, which I had on MS.  Look at the size of this almost non-animated sprite:

It played okay for the opening sections, but obviously the later levels were terrible.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I have put in my copy of cruisn USA in the past year, having played the new arcade last summer in Tokyo. I can confirm it is absolutely as appalling as you remember it being.

Get thee a copy of San Francisco Rush or the king, Beetle Adventure Racing.
  • Both of those are on my 'to play list' on my Everdrive.

I opted to go for Top Gear Overdrive first.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Am I the only person who thought that the Road Rash games were shit?
  • I love 'em, especially the 32-Bit one.

Currently playing II on my Mega Drive mini. Apart from the frame rate, it holds up quite well imo.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • It's not much cop as a racing game in hindsight, so I can see why someone might dislike it.  But punching tho.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The jerkiness put me off. US game players love the series. 

Never tried the 32bit version (tried a PC version and it was a jerky mess but that could have been the PC) but I didn't like the graphical style either.
  • In that case you need to read this before playing to hit the ultimate appreciation sweet spot for the main event:

34119331._SY475_.jpg

Like The Blair Witch Project Dossier.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Jesus.......
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

SF Rush is another series the US seem to be big on. If find it ok....Dreamcast version ..... but ive only raced in 1P. MP battle gets a lot of love.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    In that case you need to read this before playing to hit the ultimate appreciation sweet spot for the main event: 34119331._SY475_.jpg Like The Blair Witch Project Dossier.

Fucking hell I remember that. Neil West wrote it, didn't he? I'm sure there was a Super Monaco GP one too.
  • Yep. The Golden Axe one was the best of the bunch though.
  • I remember reading a Street Fighter II novel as well, and a Street Fighter II Turbo one. From SNES Force I think.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I presume they were a load of old shit?
  • Yup.
    Spoiler:
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Yup.
    Spoiler:

Depends on your age and the times. :)
  • The first Streetfighter one was surprisingly hardcore if I remember rightly. Guile was an alcoholic with PTSD.
  • There was a Streets of Rage book with Sega Force too.  Could be making that one up though.  Or confusing it with a Streetfighter effort.

Edit: Maybe Sega Pro.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!