Currently Playing
  • Yeah it's lovely. Like getting a big hug.
  • It is. Plus it's really good. There's never been anything else quite like it.
  • I'm thinking of replaying VIII on Vita.
  • TheDJR wrote:
    I'm thinking of replaying VIII on Vita.

VIII actually works best on Vita, imo. The ability to pick up, play for a bit, then leave it on standby means you can really take your time and spread prolonged battles drawing magic without having to worry about when you need to turn off (and thus save). It takes the feeling of grind out of the draw system and really lets the game shine.

Plot pacing is still awkward, though.
  • When I tried it straight after VII on Vita I bounced right off it.
  • It's one of those games for sure. I think I was just really in the mood for it and the convenience of the Vita was a plus.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Guardian Forces are metaphors for premature alzheimers.
  • TheDJR wrote:

VIII actually works best on Vita, imo. The ability to pick up, play for a bit, then leave it on standby means you can really take your time and spread prolonged battles drawing magic without having to worry about when you need to turn off (and thus save). It takes the feeling of grind out of the draw system and really lets the game shine.

The draw system is so jarring after materia system. Like you said you spend whole battles drawing the magic out to ensure you have 100%, and then I found I'd never actually cast anything because it's junctioned to my stats.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • MattyJ wrote:
    TheDJR wrote:

The draw system is so jarring after materia system. Like you said you spend whole battles drawing the magic out to ensure you have 100%, and then I found I'd never actually cast anything because it's junctioned to my stats.

The stat vs usage issue diminishes later on when there's a greater variety of spells to use, but yeah.

It does add the most variety to boss battle strategies, though, even if taking advantage of those strats requires foreknowledge of what is to come (an ongoing jrpg weak point). I actually think if you were allowed to switch junctions on the fly that the system would be nearly perfect.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    @krs — how did Planescape go in the end?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    So 1001 Spikes is pretty solid fun.  I'm up to 1003 lives having completed the first proper world, but have died Quite A Lot.  Recommended, if you like tough but generally fair platformers...
  • Escape wrote:
    @krs — how did Planescape go in the end?

I lost interest. I didn't care about what was going on and wound up playing Mother 3 instead. I think that sums up my relationship with RPGs pretty well; I can't get into fantasy or sci-fi which leaves me with the Mothers and the Personas. They'll do.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Well, I got down RPGs (got down RPGs)
    And I pretend to play (I pretend to play)
  • Having a bash at Doom.. Didn't download the patches but fuck me is there a lot of screen tearing on PS4?

It's not as much shooting as I thought either.. I'm currently under whelmed.. It super floaty feeling too.
    The Forum Herald™
  • When I played Doom I was like, how much more shooting could there be? And the answer is none. None more shooting.

Unless your punches were bullets, obviously.
  • They were bullets from the gun of life
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Lick my love gun
  • Started playing thumper - really is ace
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Pullblox World. Hurting my brain already and I'm only 20% through. So many "doh" moments.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Enjoying Torment. Especially the visuals which I didn't expect.

Though i'm toying with the idea of restarting without the mind reader ability. It seems the same as picking the Malkavian Clan in Vampire Bloodlines in that it cryptically spoils and alludes to future surprises while undermining the primary dialogue and generally should be appreciated on a second play.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Thus far my favourite thing is a console that is blatantly pretending it's not intelligent while droning COMMAND ME in different tones of glee and scadenfraude because it knows you have no fucking memory what it does.
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    Bollockoff wrote:
    Enjoying Torment. Especially the visuals which I didn't expect. Though i'm toying with the idea of restarting without the mind reader ability. It seems the same as picking the Malkavian Clan in Vampire Bloodlines in that it cryptically spoils and alludes to future surprises while undermining the primary dialogue and generally should be appreciated on a second play.

I felt much the same at the beginning, but it seems less intrusional the more I've played, and its appearance somewhat lessened. 

It can also be used against you. So there is that as well. I would say that, all in all, the effect is rather slight, in comparison to the good old Malkavian's abilities.
    It's a world of truck drivers.
  • TheDJR wrote:

I played VII a few years ago on Vita, I might just do the first 2/3 of VIII.

• Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Silke wrote:
    I felt much the same at the beginning, but it seems less intrusional the more I've played, and its appearance somewhat lessened.  It can also be used against you. So there is that as well. I would say that, all in all, the effect is rather slight, in comparison to the good old Malkavian's abilities.

Yeah I've seen first hand many times now they seem to really incorporate it into a good chunk of conversations which is nice. Erritis in particular has an entirely insidious facet I'd not have counted on past the comic relief facade. Not that I dislike that angle since his voice acting heavily reminds me of Lilarcor from BG2. Including the way soundbites will spring up just after a dramatic event and you can't not laugh.

Currently rolling with Erritis, Callistege and Rhin. Dropped Tybir despite being the party Face because he keeps trying to con everyone we meet. I like my characters with a dash of evil not a dash of prick.
  • War Thunder. God, it's great.

For someone who grew up obsessing about WWII planes (a love that's come back to me in adulthood) it's fantastic. I'm not sure if it's actually a good game, objectively, but I'm having so much fun flying Messerchmitt's, Spitfires and Zeroes.

I got a PS4 after not owning a home console for years and it's just become a glorified War Thunder machine.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Dandy Dungeon. That is some excellent title music.
  • LarryDavid wrote:
    War Thunder. God, it's great. For someone who grew up obsessing about WWII planes (a love that's come back to me in adulthood) it's fantastic. I'm not sure if it's actually a good game, objectively, but I'm having so much fun flying Messerchmitt's, Spitfires and Zeroes. I got a PS4 after not owning a home console for years and it's just become a glorified War Thunder machine.

I'd love a straight-laced WWII air combat simulator, but I couldn't get on with War Thunder.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    Dandy Dungeon. That is some excellent title music.

Me too. It's weird though. Just had my first visitor
    The Forum Herald™
  • Andy wrote:
    LarryDavid wrote:
    War Thunder. God, it's great. For someone who grew up obsessing about WWII planes (a love that's come back to me in adulthood) it's fantastic. I'm not sure if it's actually a good game, objectively, but I'm having so much fun flying Messerchmitt's, Spitfires and Zeroes. I got a PS4 after not owning a home console for years and it's just become a glorified War Thunder machine.

I'd love a straight-laced WWII air combat simulator, but I couldn't get on with War Thunder.

You can play simulator mode, or realistic battle. I'm pretty new to it so I've been focusing on the mayhem of arcade mode - which isn't very historically authentic, but still great fun.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!