Currently Playing
  • I'm still floating through a few things.

D2. Banner keeping me going even though I should slow down before starting from scratch with pc. Endgame Loot issues aside. Gameplay is great.

Echo. Home stretch. Flawed, but some great stuff. And for $20, I'll take that flier every time.

Hob. Once I got the settings right it's great. Maybe sorta kinda has a 3rd person metriod prime feel to it. Minimal hand holding is great. Although I seem to have hit spots where I don't know what to do next at least 3 times.

Warframe on the backburner.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    That paperclip game.  5hr 50mins.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I played 5 minutes.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • JonB wrote:
    Andy wrote:
    g.man wrote:
    This is presumably another of your questionable jokes that loses it's context in print?
    I thought the “better forum without Muzz/Elf/whoever was pretty much a staple, but hey ho.
    It got a chuckle out of me.

Just catching up and I appreciated this joke because I know both are just the absolute worst.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    I played 5 minutes.

First 1CC I've had in a while so I'll take it.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    As well as Brothers, I'm still cracking on with Luigi's Mansion 2, and have regained momentum. And indeed reached the last zone now I think. It is a goodun for sure, despite having negatives against it.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    About to take a second dive back in to the (for me) near-spiritual experience that is NaissanceE. This time with 144FPS, better contrast ratio, and some new headphones (HD 600). Should be a trip.

yes mate.

acemuzzy wrote:
    I hated that game. Did not (spiritually) work for me at all. Bollo hates me because of this.

yes mate.
  • Wasn't as incredible as the first time, had some bugs which I think were relating to the high framerate (I ended up having to limit to 60 in order to not overshoot a jump and complete the final run), but still something pretty spectacular and special.

2E1671BA2E3D45D1A206C23C3740D81C535B94EC

449A0483EB55082F5F727762E6F030BCDA6311EE

96897A0B5DBBA9D2F3B104067473EB61BE22326B
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Nina wrote:
    Still a bit of Super Metroid every now and then. Am on my way to Draygon, the boss in Maridia. Getting closer, but my God, I'm pretty sure I'm done with quicksand and grappling for a while if I manage this.

Poor thumbs aren't used to this at all, and I'm very thankful for the "create a restore point" option on the 3DS, wouldn't have been able to bring up the patience without it.
    Managed to get past the bit I couldn't do last time. Luckily the item you get after Draygon does make the quicksand and grappling slightly easier (I don't have the timing down yet of my new ability.)
    Cheated a bit on the boss here, there's a very simple way to get it killed, think @Elf mentioned it before. Don't feel bad about that at all.

Picked up another power up
    Spoiler:
    and I know there is one other in this area (Maridia) plus a reserve tank and some other bits. Looking at my inventory screen (and a walk through) and guess I got most my abilities. So will pick up a 100% map and do some backtracking, trying to get as much as possible before going to the last area.

Wonderful game, noticed there isn't much talk about it in the SNES mini thread. This game holds up so well, I never played it before and am losing myself in the world and the great soundtrack.

Had a quick look in the eShop, and there seems to be a decent selection of NES, SNES, GB and GB Color (I don't know anything about the Sega stuff on there) available. Might pick up more of them after finishing this. The games look great on the 3DS, being able to create a restore point at all times makes them a lot easier and a good fit for some quick sessions.
  • Enjoying your write up Nina - love Super Metroid, one of my fave games ever, and I'm so glad you're enjoying it. Agree 100% on world design / atmosphere/ soundtrack.
  • Super Metroid is a classic and practically set the standard for a whole genre. Without it there would arguably be no Castlevania-SotN, Batman Arkham series, Resident Evil, Dark Souls or Hollow Knight. Super Metroid has stood the test of time because it is clever, it's beautiful and still worth playing to this day.

Many games on the snes mini are standard setting for their respective genre which is why the snes mini is such an important compilation. Super metroid is extra influential because it not only influenced 2d platformers but the whole action adventure- exploration genre as a whole.
    Spoiler:
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Agree with all that, can’t think of many games which have aged as well as super Metroid
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I missed SMetroid as a sprogg and have bounced off that and every 2d-a-like since including Castlevania. Despite really getting into Prime 1.

It's my one claim to plebe.
  • @hunk: you sure you’re not thinking of SotN in  your spoiler?
  • Super Metroid is in my top 5, or maybe top 10, ever, but I haven't played it in 20 years. Should remedy that at some point.
  • Spoiler:
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Wasn't as incredible as the first time, had some bugs which I think were relating to the high framerate (I ended up having to limit to 60 in order to not overshoot a jump and complete the final run), but still something pretty spectacular and special. 2E1671BA2E3D45D1A206C23C3740D81C535B94EC 449A0483EB55082F5F727762E6F030BCDA6311EE 96897A0B5DBBA9D2F3B104067473EB61BE22326B
    I've always really liked the look of that game.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • JonB wrote:
    Super Metroid is in my top 5, or maybe top 10, ever, but I haven't played it in 20 years. Should remedy that at some point.

3rd best game ever behind [insert a Zelda title here] and [insert a Mario game here].
  • Zeldas come in a bit later. There is a Mario up there though.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    JonB wrote:
    Super Metroid is in my top 5, or maybe top 10, ever, but I haven't played it in 20 years. Should remedy that at some point.
    3rd best game ever behind Ico and Tetris
    The Forum Herald™
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    JonB wrote:
    3rd best game ever behind The Wand of Gamelon and Mario is Missing.
  • JonB wrote:
    See it through. It's quite short.

Yar, finish Brothers.  Won't take long.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I AM STILL PLAYING IT
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Super Metroid I see as number one even if it isn't my own personal number one
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Good luck with the third car Davy.  Was called a Stratos iirc, I could never quite keep it pointed in the right direction.
    :) Will need to unlock it first! That Lakeside track is really tight.

Just unlocked that Stratos- it's quick but you guys were right it's a bitch to handle - twitchy. Beat my best single and 3 lap Desert time 2nd time out though.
  • g.man wrote:
    I've always really liked the look of that game.

I'd love to see a remaster of it actually, with some of the buggy areas tightened up and the engine moved to UE4, smoother shading and such.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Still enjoying Super Metroid. Seriously, anyone that hasn't played it should at least give this a proper try. Loads of ways to play it these days, and it's worth your time.

I still find it amazing how they achieved the world in this game, you're definitely lonely, not sure what you're looking for, enemies are usually pretty clear but not all of them are extremely dangerous to you, same goes for the environment. This game asks you to be curious, to enjoy your surroundings (as they're beautiful) but they're not safe at all, and you just don't know what will happen. You need to interact with it, but be on the look out at the same time. Since you might need to keep certain enemies alive to progress easier, you can't just run and shoot.

Got all my suit power ups except for one, so am hunting for energy tanks and missile /bomb power ups. 6 Energy tanks to go, 2 reserve tanks and no idea about the ammo. I've a 100% map with me now, and am just crossing all the ones I got. So far I'm pretty sure Maridia and the Wrecked Ship are done, and am back at the same area my ship is. Enjoying going through all the areas again, fully kitted out and have one more listen to the soundtrack while scanning everything. Even so far in this game keeps on surprising, I had forgotten about the shinespark jump. You learn it at some point, but I didn't need it (/forgot about it). Turns out it's the only way to get a couple of missiles that I just couldn't figure out.

17 hours in, even if the last bosses turn out to be too hard for me, this is definitely a top 5 game for me.
    HLTB had it at 8 hours, so I thought I'd play it to get a few under 10 hour games done, but I'm glad I can enjoy this for much longer.
  • Last boss is (difficulty spoiler)
    Spoiler:
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Super Metroid is an absolute stellar game. Definitely one of my favorite games from the 16bit genre. I would kill for a HD update for the Switch. Kill!
  • I would happily have the original on the switch
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!