Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    indigoDos wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    100%-ing any of those monkey levels? I think that's where I gave up on the idea.....
    Got 98 on another one just then. Will just leave it there. Amaze game no question but I don't enjoy the character movement and stop-throw-thing happens-start again flow of its gameplay (plus I don't have the time-readies) enough to devote to it.

Aye - playing just to finish is great. 100%-ing turns into a bit of a plod but you can't deny it's a challenge.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Gradius III. It's still a neat shooter. Slow down and flickering are both horrendous on the current (screen filling bubbles) bit. Will stick with it to see if this area is anomalous, otherwise back to Axelay / RType III I'll a go.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    indigoDos wrote:
    Gradius III. It's still a neat shooter. Slow down and flickering are both horrendous on the current (screen filling bubbles) bit. Will stick with it to see if this area is anomalous, otherwise back to Axelay / RType III I'll a go.

SNES doesn't have a good track record with shooters and Gradius iii is a particularly bad example with its slowdown.  RType III is still solid.  SNES got good Parodius ports - so they are probably better to check out if you need a Gradius fix.

Vertical shooter-wise check out Super Aleste (aka Space Megaforce) and Super Swiv (aka Firepower 2000).

Playing Thunderforce III on MD at the minute. Rock solid implementation and better than TF IV as far as I'm concerned. It's infuriatingly old school with it's trial and error progression - sections are a total memory test. But I really like it.
  • While firepower 2000 is bland and has none of the charm of amiga super swiv, i find it plays much better.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    mrsmr2 wrote:
    While firepower 2000 is bland and has none of the charm of amiga super swiv, i find it plays much better.

It does have that 90s bland look to it. I remember getting the cart and not thinking much of it. But it has a certain something that kept me playing. Was able to 1CC it back in the day - there's no continue option on SNES version anyhow - so it has to be that way!

The graphics have a nice pre-rendered look to them. Overall it's pretty polished looking and it's excellent in 2 player. The jeep and heli play quite differently too so it adds some play value. I completed it with both vehicles.

Super Aleste on SNES is a technical tour-de-force. The devs worked miracles with the console - it has a pile of things going on without a hint of slowdown. The main problem with it is length - level 1 goes on for too long and the game itself is about 12 levels - quite a bit for a shmup.  Level 2 is my personal pick for best use of Mode 7 ever - an outstanding piece of work.
  • Yeah I remember Supers Aleste & Parodius fondly, good shouts. No going back to the Snes version of Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts either, it's slow-down city. Replayed it on the super smooth Capcom collection version on Vita not that long ago so not too disappointed.
  • SmashTV on SNES is pretty good. Can't remember slowdown there even with a gazillion sprites on screen.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    So after just having finished Bravely Default I've now started Ghost Trick on the DS. Seems like a nice follow up to BD, and strangely sharing some things with The 7 1/2 deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle.

How did I end up with a trio of
    Spoiler:
    (Don't read if you're not familiar with any of the 3 titles mentioned).

My mind's gonna be all scrambled once I'm done with this and the book I guess.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Off home to see my ill mum, what's the switch priority
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    hunk wrote:
    SmashTV on SNES is pretty good. Can't remember slowdown there even with a gazillion sprites on screen.

Yep.  There was a bit of sprite breakup but only in extreme cases - but no slowdown.

Blew my mind when I activated turbo mode by reaching the Pleasuredome!! Went even faster.
  • Definitive twinstick shooter on the SNES.
    Coop is a riot.
  • Mana Spark (PC) - I played the demo of this ages ago and enjoyed it enough to keep an eye on it. It's a(nother) rogue-lite but I'm really enjoying it.

It addresses a lot of the issues I had with Dead Cells, there are far fewer enemies in a level but fighting them feels more tactical. Apparently they work together to attack you but I've not seen much evidence of that. Sometimes they appear smart but they're mostly just dumb enough to be enjoyable to fight. Best of all, if they hit each other it actually causes damages (love games that work this way). The bow based combat doesn't just feel like you're chipping away at numbers, it's weighty and satisfying, especially when you fire an arrow perfectly over a shield. 

While there's nothing really new in here and you can tell the budget is pretty low it's all been put together really nicely and is well worth the £6 or so it costs. Nice music, too. Anyways, a picture is worth a thousand words so here's a video of somebody else playing it.

• Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Ah piss, that does look good. Might see what I can do with wor lass' work laptop. Nice to see an indie game where THAT'LL BE GREAT ON THE SWITCH doesn't apply.
  • Will add to wishlist. Fuck.

Meanwhile. Destiny 2 forsaken (with an starter of warmind dlc) is great fun. Stealing bows from warframe is a great idea.

Lots of content to get through. Few gripes. Haven't touched pvp yet.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Banner Saga, Part 1.  Not sure about this one yet, there was quite a lot to take in in the first 90mins or so.  I'm worried it'll be one of those grid tactics games I find tricky/tedious on normal difficulty, but too dull on easy.  At least difficulty can be moved up or down whenever you fancy it.
  • I wanna play the trilogy. What you playing on?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Switch
    I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
    And the number of cans I can normally do is 12.
  • Checked it out. £20 on PS4 or Bone. Over £30 on Switch. What the fuck, bloody fucking Nintendo tax.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I've started Captain Spirit. Been a while since LiS so it's kinda refreshing. Dabbling with a puzzler or two, FH4, Resi 4 and SotTR on the horizon. Would like to finish Velocity 2X, Monkey Island and Sunset Overdrive before I forget where I am in them.
  • I have take a moment to give big shout out to the strikes in d2 forsaken.

The game is in rude health and they are stunning.

Action packed romps.
  • I've started playing Wipeout. It's sooo good in VR. Just can't decide whether the cockpit locked to the ship or the spinny one that says level with the track is better.
  • Had a bash at deep sky derelicts last night, really like it - deck boulder darkest dungeon type
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Checked it out. £20 on PS4 or Bone. Over £30 on Switch. What the fuck, bloody fucking Nintendo tax.

I'll put it in the swap club when I'm done, but that might take a while.
  • That’s cool. Cheers.
  • For reasons unknown, As I already own the game on iOS, I bought Broken Sword 5: The Serpent's Curse for the Switch because I'm an absolute sucker for point and click adventure games.
  • For Honor (w10)

Amazing little gem. Initial impressions are: how did this slip by me?
    The fight engine and envronments are beautiful. Just done the opening level and I can already tell the fight system's got considerable depth; it packs alot of punch. It takes all the right cues from titles like Dark Souls and builds on the multiplayer. Good stuff so far.
  • Latest patch has introduced a load of bobbins I can’t be bothered with. Enjoy multiplayer until you’re sick to the back teeth of all the Aramusha and Centurion players.
  • Facewon wrote:

. Destiny 2 forsaken. Few gripes.

Still very few gripes. However, there's still some weird choices as far as fast travel and vendor location goes.

The walk to Hawthorne from the spawn in the main hub is getting old.

And there's a couple of weird choices in the new forsaken area too. Why do I have to walk this long ass corridor to see spider?

We need a name for the level of whining this is above first world problems.

• Bought a gpd win 2 (windows hand held), really getting into slay the spire - another great indie tip from tempy
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    The Torna expansion in XC2 continues to deliver and continues to stop me from playing any other game. Loving everything, from the nods to lore in the main game, to the remixing of the overworld theme.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!