Currently Playing
  • Tearaway on vita is an all timer. Somehow the remake on the PS4 lost a lot of the charm.
  • Yar. Adored Tearaway on Vita. The sun camera goes a long way, tbh, but I also think it’s an example where the front and rear touch pads really add to the tactile nature of the game world - something that the PS4 controller, even with the central touchpad, can’t really replicate.
  • Yup, it’s a rare example of a game and its platform complementing each other perfectly. The first time my fingers arrived on screen via the rear pad, I had to double check that they weren’t actually my fingers. They got the movement absolutely spot on from the inputs. That alone would have made it the best use of the Vita’s functionality, but the fact that they made such a beautiful, joyous game with that puts it in my all-time favourite games with ease.
  • Put off playing it for ages, ended up loving it (Vita). I'm still tempted to play the PS4 version anyway, I have started it.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I've also been putting it off for ages, B not really being that impressed with the ps4 version didn't help either. Wanted something short before FE, so it was Tearaway or Steamworld Dig. (I actually need to finish Celeste too, but I need B nearby for that, so he can help me / calm me down. He keeps hogging the TV these days though, he seems to enjoy swearing at Bloodborne a lot. Yesterday he went a step further and introduced swearing at Bloodborne YouTube videos)

@Andy, yeah, I was confused by the fingers first time too. Pretty good moment when you realize how it works. I haven't seen much, but it's been pretty charming so far.
  • Just got Resi 2 and done the first 5 minutes. Been looking forward to this for a while and don't have anything else to play right now.

And now I've got an email from a site I'd contacted about reviews a few weeks back - do you want to review Fire Emblem? Yes, I want to review Fire Emblem. So suddenly I have that. Resi 2 will have to wait again.
  • Fire Emblem would be a tricky one to review imo, good luck.
  • I'll certainly have to put plenty of hours in over the next week. But I wanted to see what it was like and it's quite a big one to review for me.
  • Getting a couple of hours of Resi 2 in first. So far it's the perfect remake. Just exactly what I wanted it to be.
  • Resi 2 is amazing. There’s a rumoured 80-200 hours in Fire Emblem, so good luck with that!
  • Samurai Shodown. It's still early but I'm liking this. Very accessible for the casual with loads of emphasis on spacing and massively powerful normals.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Kingdom Come: Deliverance

Really quite fantastic so far, I really didn't know it was going to be this immersive and interesting, and I assumed the jank would be far more significant. Looks astonishing, what a next Elder Scrolls or similar game should be aiming for, and I've got it performing pretty well, though with fairly powerful hardware. Will have more detailed thoughts to share soon.

I love going in blind to games and being very pleasantly surprised, thanks to Face for the gifted code.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Have you tried setting it to absolute max settings? That little warning prompt makes.me lol. I get like 35fps at 4k
  • Shadow Tactics

It's great
  • I’m stuck st the start of the second level, iirc.
  • Back to OG Steamworld Dig. At a tough kind of tipping point with regards to progression and upgrades unlocked. Keep on dying and only have one fast travel point unlocked which means each time I'm losing a lot of light to just get to where I died last. Frustrating.
  • Have you tried setting it to absolute max settings? That little warning prompt makes.me lol. I get like 35fps at 4k

Very high with a few ultras, HD texture, sound, and voice packs enabled. 1080p from 50-100, mostly at 80fps. You need to faff a bit to make sure the HD packs get downloaded and enabled.
  • Fist of the North Star, Lost Paradise. Bought in the sale on the strength of a Jim Sterling review and I'm loving the silly ott fun of Yakuza in a Mad Max wasteland. Technically it feels almost last gen in some ways, but good for £20.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Horizon Chase Turbo is awful isn't it?

What am I missing?  You're all (*) idiots.

(*) specifically, moot
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    What am I missing?

Current evidence points to your brain.
  • It's good fun in short blasts, I've found.
  • I gave it a [7] in the end, so I'm off the hook either way (*)

(*) as if it were ever in doubt.
  • Djornson wrote:
    Shadow Tactics It's great

I'm upgrading great to really great.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm not finding much doing it for me atm #teamcosby

Had a DQXI sesh last night though so will try and go balls deep in that in case it sorts me out.

I miss the 52 games thread really. Actually striving for that meant I flitted way less and hence saw the best of each game I was playing.
  • Djornson wrote:
    Djornson wrote:

May push this up the queue, bought it ages ago on a ps+ deal. How long does an average session last? Can you save at any point?
  • I’m back into Valkyria Chronicles 4 on Switch. It’ll be a push, but I want to break the back of it before Fire Emblem on Friday.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Djornson wrote:
    Djornson wrote:
    May push this up the queue, bought it ages ago on a ps+ deal. How long does an average session last? Can you save at any point?

You can save whenever. You could play for just 5 minutes but its like trial and error crack, i've been up till 1am two nights in a row!
  • I'll give it a bash soon.

Any thoughts on the Dragon's Lair games, anyone? Afaik they were a big deal at the time, or the first one was at any rate, then became gradually more derided over the years as the interactive FMV thing became undesirable. I like what became known as QTE's, and I'm keen on a couple of Don Bluth films. I've played a couple of the platformers but none of the proper arcade games. Worth playing? The collection is cheap atm.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    They’re terrible as actual games, basically an animated film which jankily cuts to fail animations if you fail to press R/L/whatever quickly enough.

They’re the only games possibly ever where I’d recommend watching a YouTube vid over playing the actual game.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Dragon's Lair appeared in '83 when I was 17.

I was big into arcade gaming then. It was a heady time when genres were being formed and control schemes experimented with.

There were huge crowds around the machine when I first saw it. There was even a second screen on top of the cabinet for spectators.  (This was not an uncommon thing in early days of arcades - I remember Boot Hill having that).

Even at that age it was obvious to me that it was just bits of video on a laser disc linked together with next to no interaction. I played it once , shrugged, and walked away.  The animation was/is great but that was irrelevant. I really didn't see what all the fuss was about.

You can get Dragon's Lair on DVD - an indication of the richness of the gameplay.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!