Currently Playing
  • I thought that reboot series would go from strength to strength, really enjoyed the first one. The second was a bit disappointing and signs pointed to the third being the worst. Shame.

Edit: Tomb Raider
  • Still mostly enjoying it, but a new section is giving me the rage.

Side mission, Lara has to stop a human sacrifice. Miss Croft, in her infinite wisdom, has chosen to do this while a considerable number of the game’s toughest enemies are watching. Trying to melée these guys is pointless, you have to dodge then counter. Which would be fine, but they’re swarming you, so you’re getting absolutely no warning that some of these attacks are coming from off screen. When you do counter, they probably need a second strike to kill them. Even when you do, cunts with bows and arrows are shooting you from range while you’re fending off the guys with swords. Two strikes from either, and you’re dead. And forget hiding in the foliage, these cunts are in full-on eagle-eye mode.
  • I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again: I would love, love, love an Uncharted or Tomb Raider without the combat. Pure environmental puzzling. Add strategy, tactics, and planning to the navigation, managing stamina, and your climbing supplies. Fuck, make it a Metroidvania, in one single, massive tomb, where unlocking new techniques, or finding equipment left by previous explorers, means you can now get further in another part of the tomb.
  • I agree with you there Andy.
    I completed the first 2 TR reboots but was quickly put off the third. At no point did I enjoy the combat in any of them.
    Which one has the helicopter and infinite goons as the end boss? That was fucking trash.

Uncharted I havent played much of but again the combat put me off, pure shit.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    That’s a good idea. The combat is generally shit, though the bow and arrow, as I recall, was quite fun. Uncharted's combat is very repetitive.
  • The bow and arrow was decent but after a while made redundant.
    I liked the hunting.
  • Bow and arrow could still be utilised. Some great puzzles in TR involve firing ropes around, and you could still include hunting. Although, I’d like to see it toned down. You don’t need three dead big cats, two dead bears and the feathers of a giant condor to make one wee satchel.
  • Which of the trilogy have you enjoyed most Andy.

I really liked the second one. The first a bit light on puzzles, the third was just fucking nonsense.
  • I’m (mostly) really enjoying the setting of the third. The second had a good variety of environments, iirc. Apart from that, if I’m being perfectly honest, I’m not sure I could differentiate them much just thinking about it.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Blackwell Crossing.

I swear I'm actually playing it and not just mis-clicking off Black Mesa.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Which of the trilogy have you enjoyed most Andy.

I really liked the second one. The first a bit light on puzzles, the third was just fucking nonsense.
    Totally agree. Haven’t played the third one due to the critical hammering it got here, but largely enjoyed the first, and absolutely loved the second.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Of the reboots:

2>1>>>>>>>>>>>3
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Of the reboots:

2>1>>>>>>>>>>>3

So they copied uncharted with that too!
    I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
    And the number of cans I can normally do is 12.
  • At least we know Tomb Raider 4 will be great!
  • I was playing more of Shadow of the Tomb Raider today. I’m feeling bad about the fact that I’ve only really been critical of it on here.

There is some excellent tomb-raiding to be done, in fairness. I’m currently in the middle of a really excellent side-mission; it started off with some non-challenging but still fun (and gorgeous) environmental navigation, followed by Lara being given a hallucinogenic that causes a scary trip - a familiar trope but really, really well executed in this case - which then led on to a great section (that I’ll pick up tomorrow) of environmental puzzle solving. In this instance, a temple constructed in an old fault line, the wind travelling between the rock faces powering a vast serious of percussion and wind instruments, providing a growing cacophonous soundtrack and plenty of opportunities to be crushed or fall hundreds of feet to the rocks below.

I can’t say I’ve really followed the story over the trilogy, I think I’m supposed to remember some characters from previous games, but none of that matters, really. The story is just there to hang all these set pieces on. Aside from the two bits I’ve complained about (the second of which I’ll go back to once I’ve unlocked a few more perks) I’m having plenty of fun.
  • I’ve realised that some of the really great side missions I’ve been playing are DLC. Evidently I had bought a complete ultimate mega edition with all DLC downloaded before I even started playing, so it was less obvious to me that these things weren’t part of the main package. I just played through another really great one, with great level design. Given that some of these have been the highlight of the game for me so far, I can see why people might be less keen on the game if they didn’t play them.

The really great news for me is that, looking at the trophies, I’ve done 3 of the DLC missions, but there are still 4 I haven’t done.

(Also, I went back to the side mission where I was being overcome by enemies, this time with a few more abilities enabled and, because I knew what was coming, took my endurance, focus and perception enhancing herbs just before the fight started. Kicked arse, so I did.)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    DOOM MUTHA FUGGIN SIXTY FOUR
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Yoshi's Island (SMW2)

Finished the first world which is a far as I've ever gotten.

Had it on SNES back in the day. Was originally disappointed as it didn't seem to have the same kind of scope as SMW but I'm enjoying it now. The graphics look lovely on switch.
  • I seem to have no motivation to play anything. 

Or work or do anything at all, for that matter. 

Such an ennuing feeling.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Such an ennuing feeling.

The first two sentences I can totally empathise with, have been feeling like that for well over a year, but this sentence really makes my brain hurt, and I'm glad that it does, thank you
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Imagine my excitement entering this thread ...

Anyhow Saints Row IV is on!
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I enjoyed the pinball aspect, thought it made for an enjoyably laid back experience if you're at peace with the hit & hope element the genre can bring.  The layout and progression were secondary to the screen to screen action.  It's not a great Metroidvania in terms of design by any means, but (pinching Muzzy's words) the meandering was pleasant.  Really enjoyed pinging the little guy around, but it's fairly easy to criticise.

I've gone back to this (Yoku), having finished Ori. And I'm still just pootling about happily. Got a couple of bee lines which helps. Story is ticking along, side quests aplenty, just what I need atm really.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    I seem to have no motivation to play anything. 

Or work or do anything at all, for that matiter. 

Such an ennuing feeling.

Local mp. Reminds you why you like videogamed. Pick something casual and just switch off.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    10 hours flown by in Persona 5 Royal and first dungeon down. I've spotted a few new additions, and collected all the will seeds, but it's same old STYLE.

Enjoying it.
  • Power of Illusion on 3DS. Some okay platforming with a smattering of recognisable retro tunes, but the touch screen drawing is tedious and the fetch quests are annoying. Will finish it as there's not much left on my 3DS pile of shame, but it's a bit shit so far.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    10 hours flown by in Persona 5 Royal and first dungeon down. I've spotted a few new additions, and collected all the will seeds, but it's same old STYLE.

Enjoying it.
    Keep us updated Reg. I'm looking forward to picking this at some point.

• regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    As we've discussed, there'll be a part where I don't know what's new and what's not! But you are introduced to the new character on like day 3.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Yeah I'm just curious what you'll think of it. I remember you posting at one point that Royal was rumored to have some issues with displaying gay or trans characters, so I'm interested to know how you feel about the game.
  • I've been chipping away at Celeste in my evenings this week. What a fantastic game this is.

I've reached the end but have tons of collectables to mop up.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!