Review Scores and Bo Derek. Do you trust any publications reviews?
  • In the end it's all subjective M, no one is right or wrong, but identifying things like polish, depth and mechanical/thematic quality are important, even if you don't like the genre. Edge are good at highlighting all of that, and they often make me want games I know I won't like, such as Hot Pursuit.
  • Moto70 wrote:
    Games weren't out when I was 12 ffs.
    You're older than G.Man and me?

Ha, I'm 38.
    We had the speccy when I was a kid.
    Kids today dont know they're born.

Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • @Tempy

You just can't stay out can you?

Score LA Noire, I dares ya.
  • LA Noire gets 10 until you realise it is far too structured, then it gets an 8 cos it is still brilliant.
  • TheDJR wrote:
    @Tempy

You just can't stay out can you?

Score LA Noire, I dares ya.

No :( in my defence, people are being WRONG and my course is really boring right now.

I never finished Noire.
  • Tempy wrote:
    TheDJR wrote:
    @Tempy You just can't stay out can you? Score LA Noire, I dares ya.
    No :( in my defence, people are being WRONG and my course is really boring right now. I never finished Noire.

You didn't miss much
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I played roughly half an hour of Noire, decided it wasn't for me and gave up.

[5]
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I played roughly half an hour of Noire, decided it wasn't for me and gave up. [5]

I played 10 minutes of Bayonetta and sat through the world's shittest cut scenes.
    [1]
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I played Dead Island on co-op and had a laugh. - 7

I played Space Giraffe and the reviewer must have a hard on for aging hippies. - 1

I played Limbo. - 6

I got told that I didn't get the story Limbo was telling so I changed its score. - 3
  • How can anyone 'not get' the Limbo story?  Did you tell them where to go?
  • I spent 2 weeks solid playing Toy Story Racing -9
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Dead Island is the worst game ever. Strictly horseshit.
  • Kow wrote:
    Dead Island is the worst game ever. Strictly horseshit.[10]
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Plan M wrote:
    How can anyone 'not get' the Limbo story?  Did you tell them where to go?
    What's the message?
  • LA Noire just felt like sitting with my mother on a Sunday afternoon with my head up my arse watching some identikit procedural cop show that didn't have Ice T in it and I didn't have the luxury of distracting myself by fantasising about killing my mother because I had to push some cunt about and press a button. I'd prefer fantasising about killing my mother, basically.
    Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • Hurray.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Tempy wrote:
    My investment in this thread is an accurate barometer of how bored I am of my current study. Maths. Ugh.

I agree with all your posts so far except this one. Maths is great. 

[3.14159]
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Bayonetta and Space Giraffe are both fucking excellent. Bayonetta more so.
  • Space giraffe can do one and I can see bayonetta is a good game but not that great.
  • To quote Einstein, 'its all relative' butThe way Edge qualify a 10 can lead to problems. Being the 'best in class' and scoring an Edge 10, easily leads it to other games in other genres being 'better'. I'll take Little Big Planet as an example. At its core it's little more than a basic 2D platformer but has a myriad of cummunity shiz in there not seen on a platformer, ergo an Edge 10.

Personally I think theres a million better games, and examples of 2D platformers that make a mockery of LBP, but its Edges way. I can (almost) see their point sometimes but it definately doesn't hold the same impact as a 10 from them used to.

Im hoping TLOU brings it back though!!
  • Space Giraffe didn't get a 10.

The only Edge 10 that I have no interest in is that rock band one. All others have been massively innovative / influential. I still read Edge and still assume their review scores will represent my level of enjoyment in a game, providing I'm interested in the game in the first place.
  • Rock Band 3 is the definition of a 10.
  • There you go then, their review scores are usually worth taking into account providing you're interested in the game. Good
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    We weren't just discussing 10's, we were discussing scoring in general hence the fucking shoddy SG was brought up. It stills remains the only game I have ever bought off the back of a review and to this day I would happily kill the reviewer.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    mangman wrote:
    I still read Edge and still assume their review scores will represent my level of enjoyment in a game, providing I'm interested in the game in the first place.

This for me too
  • Moto70 wrote:
    We weren't just discussing 10's, we were discussing scoring in general hence the fucking shoddy SG was brought up. It stills remains the only game I have ever bought off the back of a review and to this day I would happily kill the reviewer.

Space Giraffe is genuinely good. I don't get the hate. It's fun to play and very satisfying when you bull a load of enemies.
  • I think a problem with Edge 10s (which is a bit apparent in the Last of Us review) is that they get all gushing about concept, ideas, originality etc, and they do make the game sound amazing, but they often don't mention or seemingly consider the more measurable and boring technical elements.  'games are art' is all fine and dandy, but if controls are shit, or menu systems are clumsy, or framerate is troublesome etc, it can have a massive effect on how good a game is to play regardless of how emotionally or intellectually involving a game is.
    i'm not saying any of these things are a fault in Last of Us specifically as I haven't played it...but from the Edge review i'm also not sure of how it will be to actually play it...it could have horrible checkpointing or it may be perfect, is it good but only 2 hours long or will it last 30?
    Like Hulka was saying, LBP is a perfect example, as a game it's not a 10 at all, but then Edge didn't score it just on it's merits as a game, but on it's potential, it's ideas etc...
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Team Buddies got no higher than about 2/10 across the board and I loved that game.

GTAIV and Bayonetta scored high, one was too dull the other was too nauseating.

'view scores bitches.
  • I tend to look at the Official Playstation magazine, and buy games that gets praise there. Not necessarily because the reviews are well-written (they're not), but I've found out they like the same games that I do. That's all I need to trust a review.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!