Xbox One
  • In TV news, there's a Philips OLED for same price as the LG OLED, and now I don't know which to pick. The LG has the 2.1 HDMI and seemingly the best OS/UX...but the Philips has the Ambilight. Could anyone make a recommendation of one TV other the other, would there be any difference in the actual picture?

I vote LG but to be honest no idea. What is RRP of Phillips and when did it come out?
  • In TV news, there's a Philips OLED for same price as the LG OLED, and now I don't know which to pick. The LG has the 2.1 HDMI and seemingly the best OS/UX...but the Philips has the Ambilight. Could anyone make a recommendation of one TV other the other, would there be any difference in the actual picture?

Perhaps this may be too late but Philips build quality is not great, especially with tvs and even more especially with Ambilights.  I know this from personal experience. 3 fucking times.

Ambilight is so good though.

Not too late to confuse me more, but too late for me to do anything today! ;)
    I'd pretty much decided on the ambilight, but nowhere local had them in stock to see. Popped into a currys on way back from daughters footy, she liked the LG, i saw your message and thought 'ok let's get the LG!'. But I didn't have the right id on me to set up the finance. :(
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Djornson wrote:
    In TV news, there's a Philips OLED for same price as the LG OLED, and now I don't know which to pick. The LG has the 2.1 HDMI and seemingly the best OS/UX...but the Philips has the Ambilight. Could anyone make a recommendation of one TV other the other, would there be any difference in the actual picture?

I vote LG but to be honest no idea. What is RRP of Phillips and when did it come out?

They're both 2019 models i believe, think both rrp around 1400-1500
  • They'll both be awesome, don't sweat it too much
  • This is the kind of 'just get one bought you twat' motivation i needed! ;)
  • Microsoft are running this gamerscore for reward points thingy again. Basically what you earn in GS gets converted into reward points. The caveats being you need to first earn at least 500 points, claim these and then you are free to earn as many points as possible up to a maximum of 10000. The final caveat being it's from a set game list, as below:

Dishonored 2
    Fallout 3
    GoNNER
    Mutant Year Zero: Road To Eden
    MINIT
    Middle-earth: Shadow Of Mordor - Game of the Year Edition
    Resident Evil Revelations
    Jump Force
    Spintires: MudRunner
    Samurai Showdown II
    Yooka-Laylee
    Halo Wars: Definitive Edition
    Superhot
    Braid
    Worms W.M.D
    Quantum Break
    Guacamelee! 2
    Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
    King Of Fighters 98 UM
    Dead Cells
    Outer Wilds
    Saints Row: The Third
    Neon Chrome
    Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun
    Hydro Thunder
    Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
    Old Man's Journey
    Momodora: Reverie Under The Moonlight

This promo is live now and runs till the 2nd December.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    A lot of them (all?) are on Game Pass though, should make it easier to get hold of them.
  • Yeh it's related to GP so the idea is they are all accessible. You'd have to go some to get the full 10k but a couple of thousand points are doable.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    If you've already got the points from playing these games before do they count?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I didn't get a fiver off voucher, but did notice a "5000 points if you spend over £30 in the black Friday sale" reward thing. Which equates to about a fiver. So worth looking out for (think you have to activate it before purchasing), and suspect it works even if you got the voucher too...
  • If you've already got the points from playing these games before do they count?

No I don't think so. I think claiming the first 500 is necessary to activate the offer too.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    That's pretty shite then
  • I got the LG. Got the xbox setup. Then the tv got commandeered by wife and kids. Strictly has never looked so shiny. :|
  • Hahaha
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Good game, good game.
  • Time to drink
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Blasting through Minit was pretty quick and it's on the list above fwiw (425 points or something without trying it anything)
  • I got the LG. Got the xbox setup. Then the tv got commandeered by wife and kids. Strictly has never looked so shiny. :|

Nice one. I just watched Giri/Haji with the TV in 'technicolour expert' mode. It was difficult to concentrate on the story it looked so nice at times.

Edit: Also, was it you who was PC and used to play Rocket League with us from PC? Didn't realise you got an xbox as well. I guess i may have assummed you Forza from PC as well. Apologies if i have got that wrong.
  • Had it on pc but been xboxing for a while now.
    Just checked our forza 4 in 4k hdr. Yum. Gonna fire up sea of thieves to look at the sea now
  • Make sure you do the setting where you set the HDMI input your xbox is on to HDMI TRUE DEEP COLOUR or something like that. At least had to do that on B8. Or better first step is to do the xbox 'test your tv for HDR' or something, you should get all green ticks.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Ram, try SOT on the Vivid preset (turn the colour down a bit though) it's how Boolitt and Boozy and me play it on our LG's.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Cheers. Think those settings are on, it did a lot of auto detection at start and had a poke around.
    Not dived into trying to adjust the advanced picture options yet,mainly cos i don't know! ;)
  • Ram, try SOT on the Vivid preset (turn the colour down a bit though) it's how Boolitt and Boozy and me play it on our LG's.
    I just tend to use the game setting now with a couple of tweeks. Vivid was burning my eyes after a bit
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    It's the extra 'faux frames' processing that puts iron in my canon. Just makes everything move silky smoove.

Off it goes though for TV and movies because 'soap opera' effect.
  • The Daddy wrote:
    Cheers. Looked at this and nearly all the settings there are the default, but then i think i prefer the look of the 'standard' preset (for normal TV anyway).

Tested FH4 and Sea Of Thieves, both looked splendid even on the automatic 'game' mode, so i think I'll leave that alone since i believe it's optimised for reducing lag etc.
    I've even re-downloaded RDR2 as I feel that needs checked out in all it's glory too, though haven't got round to playing it yet.

For those with the LG Oled, do you have any issues when viewing dark scenes? Black is very black on mine, and anything bright and colourful looks awesome, but I see very noticable banding/pixelation in scenes of more subtle darkness.

eg. if i run this test video, the majority of it looks awesome. but the bits where it's mainly a blank screen with a bit of text and a sort of lensflare/halo around the text, it really noticeably breaks up into solid chunks of about 4 shades of grey

Do you get similar if you try it on yours?
  • No but at 0:17 the banding is noticable. By banding i mean that from a light source there are like curved bands of light radiating from it. I noticed it in Read Dead Redemption 2 with the moonlight. Watching the vid on my laptop i can see the banding a little bit not but as pronounced. Just watching this 4k Iceland Atmos thing holy shitballs.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Will have a gander later Ram.
  • I'll have a look later too. I find it hard to test some of these things because it's always hard to know if it's the limitations of the source or an issue with settings. I know it's still hard to encode black details in video files. Or at least it seems that way. The only thing I've watched that hasn't seemed to suffer from that is Intersteller 4k blu ray. All the downloaded files or Netflix I've watched hasn't handled dark scenes too well.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    For Gav's sanity, I've posted about this in the gadget thread.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!