Kerbal Space Program
  • Elmlea wrote:
    Surely this doesn't need a sequel?  They could just squeeze more DLC into the original.  I must play it again, it's remarkable, I haven't even tried the XB1 version.

Apparently it's a new studio doing the sequel but the original lot, Squad, are continuing to do stuff for the first one.  Dunno how this will work.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There is something about those Kerbals that annoys me. Puts me off.

I imagine I'd end up dreaming up ways of killing them instead.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • There are many ways to do that.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'd be very good at it but for the wrong reasons..
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yep.

"Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Looking forward to it, but I hope they've made the career mode fun. Most of the randomly generated missions in the original are bad.

• It'll launch in a fairly incomplete state, with some aspects of gameplay and career currently in KSP1 coming to KSP2 at a later date. I think I'll probably wait a while before buying it.
  • It's had such a troubled development here's hoping it's as good as it should be.
  • I would hold off.  According to a few players with early access, it runs very poorly and is barely different to the first game at the moment.  

I sunk countless hours into the first game so I'll pick this up at some point but not while it's a bit of a mess.
  • Recommended requirements are a gtx 3080. That's not a good sign.
  • I'm going to pick it up on release. It's way too expensive and bare bones for what it is, but I'm excited to embrace the jank. The new game looks inferior to modded KSP1 in a lot of ways, but I never enjoyed the modded experience. I think if you're happy to use extensive mods then you should steer clear of this game until it's in a much better state.

One of the things that early streamers have picked up on is the reaction wheels being nerfed. They were super unrealistic, and it made RCS thrusters unnecessary for anything except docking (and even then they didn't add that much function). I'm quite looking forward to having to use them.
  • The problem is 2K bought Star Theory and then disbanded and gave KSP to a new in-house team. Many stayed but many didn't. It was a monumentally stupid move all round.
  • Yeah - given how long it's been in development the game is laughably incomplete. The development story leaves a bad taste.
  • The recommended specs show it's not been made with a great deal of care. I mean really, a 3080?
  • Here's hoping though.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Recommended requirements are a gtx 3080. That's not a good sign.
    !
  • Recommended/minimum requirements are always kind of useless, they really need to state something like "~60FPS at medium settings 1080p".
  • They're saying they'll optimise it over time, but it really makes me wonder what they've been up to for 3/4/5+ years.
  • I bought this years ago and never got round to playing it. All I've done so far are the first few training levels but I can already see how this will open up to become insanely complicated.
  • It's amazing. You learn as you go by building stuff that blows up and then building stuff that still blows up but not as quickly. Great fun.
  • Yep, I'm loving the potential I can see it has. Intimidating though.
  • If you get into it, it'll eat your life. There are some seriously good mods for it too. Almost Skyrim level.

Here's one just for the clouds.

• Learning how to put two craft in orbit, getting them to rendezvous and then dock was genuinely one of the hardest things I've ever done in a video game.  Once you get it, it seems easy and I could just about do it with my eyes closed these days (as long as it's not an elliptical orbit). And it gives you a genuine (very basic) understanding of orbital mechanics and planetary transfers etc.

It's an astonishing piece of software, really.
  • It's absolutely beautiful when you finally pull something off.
  • Bought on release, and I've been to Minmus and the Mun so far. The games in early access, so I wouldn't expect everything to be completely sorted, but the game is significantly less robust than the original. Aside from numerous little annoyances (wings going on backwards, fairings not seeming to go on properly, small teleports when using time warp during docking, decouplers sometimes not working during flight, the orbit UI (conics) not working in secondary bodies when you're in the primary body etc etc....), I'm most annoyed about completely losing my most recent saves and having to restart. I guess not that annoying as essentially I've just lost my flags.

It's a buggy mess, but it's still somewhat fun. I'd recommend staying away until they've fixed what's there and put more in place. I definitely wouldn't want to learn the game in its current state.
  • There's such an enormous amount of goodwill for KBS I really hope they manage to sort it all out. Even Musk used to play it when he got home from buiding actual rockets.The roadmap looks good but considering the amount of time they've had to make it, it's not looking that promising. 

With all the amazing mods for the first game, some of which were made by actual rocket scientists, there's always hope the community can get involved to make it the game it should be. 

I'm tempted but will wait for now.
  • Every time I see the name of this game, it just reminds me of this classic from over 20 years ago:

I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!