Cricket Thread - Crickets (Tests, ODI, T20)
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Or what Vela said.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Rogers was unlucky no doubt.

Still looks a stumping to me, as much as Bell in the Champions Trophy.
  • I'm personally of the opinion that all technology should be kept out of test cricket. It's not going to happen of course, but even this test shows that on average things are pretty damn good just by the umpire's call.

Benefit of the doubt and all that, where needed. All these calls have been very close and the umpire's initial calls are all justified even with the analysis at super slow-motion level showing some of them may have been technically wrong.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Well this just shows once and for all that test cricket is completely unpredictable at this level.

I mean, christ, what's going on?

In the spirit of things, and doing my best to not be English about this: I reckon Cook and Pietersen will calm things down, with a few close calls, then go on to big scores and give us a good chance to win this.

TAKE THAT MOCKERS!
  • Hahaha. Hussain just asked Botham how his breakfast at the hotel was... apparently he had ordered two poached eggs, grapefruit juice and black coffee. Someone had taken his order form and ticked every single box on the menu so he ended up with two trayfuls.

EDIT: Pieterson out. Less humorous.
  • Balls
    Can-of-sprite
  • I love cricket commentary.
  • Agar on the scoreboard!
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Massive wicket. England's average middle-order exposed.
  • Yes. I dont know how reliable England's tail is, but they have to bat out today to post a reasonable total for Australia to chase. I'm thinking 200+ will be a challenging target.
  • Reliable its not 1 nil Aussies.
    Can-of-sprite
  • i can only assume that the problem with the england batsmen is they're too gentlemanly to want to outshine each other, it's like they do their best to ensure only one of them has a decent score in any one match.  i think they draw straws before hand over whose turn it is to 'score big', with a fall back gentlemans agreement that if they get out too early, the rest of them will do too so that no one looks bad.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Finally get a decision our way.

EDIT: Urgh.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Agar gunning for MOTM, or not if we lose.  Evenly poised, just as it should be.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Bit of a scare earlier but this is looking better.
  • This is looking very good indeed.

Lead over 230 now, I reckon if we're still batting by close we'll be home and dry.

The Aussie batting line-up is as brittle as wafer-thin slice of chalk, and lightning won't strike twice.

Well done Bell, showing the doubters what he can do under pressure, and well done Broad for finally sticking around for a bit.
  • Should've walked there.

And now a drop. Funny though it is, not great from Broad.

EDIT: Awful umpiring though.
  • It was such a clear edge that you have to say he should've walked. Just because none of the Aussies would've (Honourable mention to Gilchrist) walked doesn't abrogate your responsibility to the spirit of the game.

Ah well.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Spirit of the game is all well and good when the series is done, not on the third day of the first test.

Someone -I forget who- was saying how most cricketers careers are defined by how well they do in the ashes. I don't blame him for not walking in the slightest.
  • It was so blatantly out, I'm sure Broad expected the Umpire just to raise a finger anyway. He doesn't have to walk, but it's cheeky to stand there because everyone in the ground knows that he was out.

On the other-hand I'm not that bothered as the Aussie's wasted their reviews on terrible choices and were lucky with some umpiring decisions of their own. If it was against the Aussie team of the 1990's I'd probably laugh, but we needed all the help we could get in those days.

It's clearly a piss-take though as everyone knows Broad hit it, and yet he's still batting tommorow morning.
  • I would have liked Broad to have walked although with the exception of Gilchrist I can't recall many Aussies walking - McGrath was saying earlier that Aussies are brought up to wait for the umpire to give it before walking. Having said that he's added what, 10 runs since? Agar added 92 after he should have gone. Whilst the potential impact of Trott is more debatable, a Boycott-esque defence of his wicket with an occasional plunder of runs was ideal for the situation; he's not one to throw his wicket away in that scenario. 

But the Aussies' last review was terrible, deserved what they got in some respects.
  • I said the other night that it all evens out. Cant complain about one and not the other.

As I said though, I'd much rather umpire's word and no review system, and walking if you know you're out. But the stakes are high and few people ever do that.

What a game.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Wasted review, dunno why they used it then.
  • Yep, they were pretty optimistic to review a blatant legside ball earlier in the day.

I dont blame the batsman for not walking, but I do believe more batsmen should walk especially with camera scrutiny. I still think the proper review system is yet to emerge and what we have now is just a compromise.

But at the end of the day you get bad and good ones all the same.
  • Personally in not a fan of walking. Its the umpires decision in the end. Boycs made a good point about nonsense lbw appeals (much like the wasted review one) which are all about conning the umpire and hoping the tech glitches in your favour.

People keep mentioning the agar decision and say how it cost England 92 runs, I say if you can't skittle a number 11 more quickly then the bowling side should take responsibility.

Some other people have also said that if agar was out then England would already be four hundred ahead, which entielry misses the psychology from batting from 100 runs ahead or 60 runs behind.

Weird that this match is now likely to hit a fifth day after 19 wickets had gon before lunch on day 2!
  • I'm not sure of the relevance to Agar and walking. Agar knew at one point his foot was in the air, but not relative to when the bails were off. Broad knew he nicked it (presumably). Some people can carry on knowing they got away with a blatantly bad decision (most players, not singling out Broad here), some can't (Gilchrist - a rarity).

A better example would be the LBW of Trott. He knew he (most likely) hit it, but had no option but to walk when told. Broad knew he hit it and had the option to stay. It evens out.

In the end, I'm not complaining because there have been bad decisions both ways. It's just how the game is. I've seen Australia lose series (notably vs West Indies, Adelaide Oval, 1991-92, Craig McDermott given out caught behind when it hit his helmet) on wrong decisions. It happens.

I just think wrong decisions will be more tolerable if there is no technical replays/reviews and an honour system will naturally emerge as more detailed replays become available. We have T20 and ODI cricket - use the high tech there. Test cricket has an opportunity to position itself as the purists form of the game even moreso if they abandon reviews and just select umpires based on accuracy.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Not sure on the reference to the Agar decision either, it was too close to call and he didn't know if he was in or out.  He may have batted at 11, but he's no 11.
  • I always used to walk, because I had to be honest with myself. I understand that this doesn't bother everyone, but for me it's the only thing that matters. It might well be the umpires decision, but if I thought I'd nicked it and stayed where I was then that's all I'd be able to think about. Better to have a clear conscience.
  • The Gentlemen's Game

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!