Mobile Gaming (iOS/Android/Other)
  • If there are games with IAP that aren’t either designed to get money out of you, or are just badly designed grinding snore-fests, I haven’t seen one but, frankly, I don’t want to. I do sometimes look at what the IAPs are; if they’re just character/level unlocks that’s less of an issue, but when I see a list of ‘handful of gems’ and ‘chestful of bullion’ I’m physically repulsed. It’s a cancer in videogames, and I fear it’s a tumour that we’ve let grow beyond the point of curative treatment. When you see these things with digital loot going for £80, I don’t for one minute believe that anyone in their right mind is buying that and feeling good about it. It’s about as loathesome a tactic as the current theme of online bookmaker advertising.
  • Developers want to make money. 

(Sometimes) it's like the pick and mix at the cinema; it's expensive, it makes the experience better, but you can choose not to have it and have a perfectly fine time, and know that those indulging have subsidised your entertainment. 

Anyway Iron Marines is good.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Pretty much.

The truth is that if you release a complete game on mobile for £10 or whatever and don't offer microtransactions, it's pretty much guaranteed to bomb. Even Nintendo weren't immune from a huge drop off in users once people actually had to fork out for the full game. The only way that a higher upfront cost may make any sense is if the game is is being ported over from another platform in order to squeeze out a few more sales.

When it comes to mobile gaming, the entire industry is subsidised by those players willing to chuck loads of money at microtransactions. By all means avoid games that use them if you like, but you might as well try avoid restaurants that serve soft drinks on the grounds that they cause obesity.
  • That analogy would work if the restaurant kept taking my meal away after a few forkfuls, telling me that I can wait five minutes for them to bring it back, or get it straight away if I buy yet another drink.
  • Or forced me to eat the same starter over and over until I’d collected enough stamps to have the main course.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Very few games with microtransactions operate them in anything like that manner. I fully agree that the few games that do should be avoided, but that’s a minority of such titles.

I’ve played loads of games with microtransactions in my life without ever paying for a single IAP. The one or two games I came across where I felt like my progress was being stopped because I wasn’t spending money were deleted and I moved onto something else.
  • Andy, maybe just maybe not every game follows the same path. 

Some are virtually unplayable unless you continually fork out for IAP; some IAPs allow you to push ahead quickly; some use IAP to unlock chapters so the free part of the game acts as a demo; with others it's dressing like extra heroes or literally just decorations and the game plays well with no IAP at all.

Iron Marines is in that last category. Then again it's a fiver. 

Avoiding all mobile games with IAP is a pretty extreme response and shuts you off from a lot of decent experiences.
  • A little lighter on the cancer and tumor metaphors if you don’t mind.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I would think anyone on this forum is educated enough to try a free game and realise if IAP is balanced or not. To say all IAP games are bad is disingenuous at best. It’s all about where you place value.
  • Frankly, Andy doesn't want to see a game with balanced IAP. He said so. Presumably it would upset his world view or something. All IAP = bad. Nice and clean, black and white, onto the next.
  • Clash Royale is one of the highest grossing games there is but you don't have to spend a penny to compete at the top. It's just more of a grind.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • hearthstone has IAPs but is still great fun without
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Likewise the Kingdom Rush games offer the ‘buy more gold or this hero character’ IAP but do not require you to do so to complete the games. It doesn’t even feel like a grind to do it without IAP assistance because the core game mechanic is so good. I have never purchased any IAP for that series but it’s easily one of if not my most played series of games on iOS.
    That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • I used to spend ~£20 a month on one mobile title, didn't see it as a big deal at all. I played that game endlessly, competed in the top leagues and had a blast all for the price of a (cheap) round each month. Lots of people were f2p only players and could compete too, but obviously they were more restricted in ways.
  • any good NEW tower defence games out? Not played one for a while. 

Love games like kingdom rush, pvz, the creeps etc
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Iron Marines! More RTS maybe than true TD but I think you'd like it.
  • NeoDefense is pretty much GeoDefense, if you like that kinda thing.

I love Dungeon Warfare - which is similar to TD but floor and wall traps instead. Nice RPG type upgradeability to it as well for progression.
  • picked up Inside for IOS yesterday as it was being reviewed and promoted by the store. I enjoyed Limbo so giving it a go. It's great so far.
  • Did you post that before or after it was revealed to be a dodgy fake?
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • after I bought it - strange thing is it plays perfectly

• So hang on is it a copy of Cuphead?
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Mis-read the first paragraphs. Actually sounds like a decent port!
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Madness.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • It is a good port just the game doesn’t lend itself to touch controls

• Just on that topic I don’t suppose anyone has a recommendation for an IPad game pad?

Bought Jade Empire last night, it looks quite good but it’s just not happening with the touchscreen interface.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Andy wrote:
    SteelSeries Nimbus.

Yup.
  • Cheers - looks like one of the local shops have it in stock too.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!