Mobile Gaming (iOS/Android/Other)
  • Anyone here play Piano Tiles 2? It's actually the closest thing to IIDX I've found on mobile, I reckon, although bare in mind there are a bunch of great rhythm games on mobile that *aren't* like IIDX (such as the great Beat EVO YG). I played the original Piano Tiles (Don't Touch The White Tiles) ages ago but only got turned on to the new version last week by a friend. There's a bunch of game modes and surprisingly difficult song selection, once you work through the tiers. Energy system hasn't become a barrier and I'm enjoying it immensely. Would be interested in swapping scores / speeds with forumites if anyone's interested:

Maybe @Davyk or @Dubs will take the challenge that I've been dangling in front of them these past weeks/months/years ???
  • Andy wrote:
    Eurogamer: Older iPhone, iPad games now warn they'll soon become obsolete.
    Load up many older iPhone or iPad games and you may now find yourself facing a stark warning - that the "app will not work with future versions of iOS".

"The developer of this app needs to update it to improve its compatibility," the warning continues.

So far so standard, right? iOS updates itself all the time - and sometimes games are affected. (And speaking of updates, you'll only see this message if you're on the latest iOS firmware update, 10.3.)

But it's the scale of the issue which has many iPhone users concerned. The upcoming iOS update mentioned in the warning is almost certainly iOS 11, which is expected to drop this Septemer and will - it has been widely rumoured - kill support for 32-bit apps completely.

Apple introduced support for 64-bit apps back in 2013, with iOS 7, and has since mandated that all apps support 64-bit as standard. It later began warning users that 32-bit apps might "slow down" your iPhone, even if this generally wasn't the case.
    It now appears Apple is ready to call time on the 32-bit era for good.

So, what does this mean for your games? Currently, hundreds - if not thousands - of well known titles are affected.

Games known to currently need an update include FTL, Baldur's Gate, XCOM: Enemy Within, Doom, Ridiculous Fishing, Super Crate Box and Rayforce.

Many of these larger titles likely will receive the updates they require. Sadly, the real casualties will be games from defunct developers or titles which are just no longer supported.

You can check which of your games need updating on your iPhone by going to Settings > General > About > Applications.

Developers have around five months to update older games, or they will become obsolete. Alternatively, you can choose not to upgrade to iOS 11.

I'm thinking about the games I still play that have been been showing the, "this app may slow down your iPad/iPhone," warning for a while. My concern is not just the games from defunct developers, but also those from the likes of EA who will choose not to update, because they'd rather you bought a newer version.

I'm already fed up of the wider issue of games/apps that I've originally paid for, that are then converted to a subscription / freemium model. I tend to vote with my wallet, and don't give them any more money, and I fully appreciate that it'll be covered by the EULAs, but it's still tiresome. Now I anticipate I'll be adding neglected apps to the list.

Just to confirm that this is as thought; I’m on iOS 11, Pix’n Rush is one of those that had the warning, now it doesn’t load.
  • playing some motor sport game atm ,it's pretty good
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • mk64 wrote:
    playing some motor sport game atm ,it's pretty good

I've heard it's good.
    That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    Anyone tried the 868 Hack expansion?
  • mk64 wrote:
    playing some motor sport game atm ,it's pretty good

I've heard it's good.

It's a bit samey.
  • my biggest issue is that I don't know much about F1 :)
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • yea
  • New Layton is out. On iOS before 3DS I think.
  • Darkest Dungeon coming to iPad on 24 th Aug, can use game saves from Pc as well
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Hitman Go is really really good.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I bought a couple of games for the journey back from France, ended up doing Monument Valley 2 in one sitting. It's utterly charming, of course, but I didn't find myself scratching my head at any point as I recall doing with the first game. It's probably a bit more affecting than the original too.

I also grabbed 868-hack after so many people here went on about it. So far, IDGI. If anyone has any tips or pointers to share, I'd appreciate them.
  • I didn't at first either. It's a push your luck rogue-like.
    Do you just get to the end of the level of do you get the money/energy/upgrades and get to the end of the level?
    It's really good once it clicks and you get your head around the different upgrades.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Strike Team Hydra looks awesome. A bit XCommy.
  • Darkest Dungeon coming to iPad on 24 th Aug, can use game saves from Pc as well

That's a must buy for all iPad owners
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I've seen the talk about it, I could well be interested. Will it work with touch controls?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Good, good.

I must say, I'm really missing my iPad since I lost mine. I thought I'd be fine with my iPhone as it's a plus and so not that much smaller than my old mini, but I really think I might have to replace it with a 10" iPad.

Tempted by the Pro as well, but it's a large premium for the, admittedly attractive but unlikely to be used by me all that often, ability to use the pencil.
  • Pencil and pro is a incredible combo - I took it to my Illustrator friends house at the weekend, he was flabbergastedbamboozled by it.

• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It does look great, but it would be an extra £280 even before I take the Pencil into account.
  • If you draw or want to draw then do it, mine has already started to pay for itself - it's opened up another little revenue stream from the publishers I freelance at, which will pretty much pay for the price difference in one job.
    If you don't/can't draw or don't want to then avoid.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Darkest Dungeon coming to iPad on 24 th Aug, can use game saves from Pc as well

That's a must buy for all iPad owners

DD on iPad is a perfect match
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Erm, it looks like one of those match 3 and attack the boss games but without the match 3 bit.
    What's the gameplay hook?

• Wha? Darkest Dungeon is a turn based roguelike RPG that's heavily inspired by Lovecraft.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    Flipping Legend is quite fun. Simple three lane runner and flipping your guy left or right advances one square. Hit guys to keep health, avoid traps, collect coins. There's a few character to level up to gain bonuses to special skills or starting with shields, etc.
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Wha? Darkest Dungeon is a turn based roguelike RPG that's heavily inspired by Lovecraft.
    arg, I'll watch a review.
  • The gameplay hook is that it's a difficult but compelling roguelike. The combat twist lies in the fact that attacks deal health and sanity damage. Sanity damage can cause people to be scarred with ailments which usually add negatives such as a propensity to steal items, harm others, or be afraid of certain enemy types, as well as other things.

You grab a party and go into a dungeon, which you have to explore. As you push further, the light goes out. As the light goes out you suffer more damage, take sanity damage over time, but your chance for critical damage increases. You also need to pack curatives, food, and sometimes camping equipment. Finishing a dungeon increases your levels and nets you loot that lets you upgrade your settlement so you can foray further.

Your crew toe the line between indispensable and collateral to your ultimate goal, as you may mismanage them into a position where they're so afflicted with problems that you may as well suicide them, or they are so high levelled that they won't partake in the quests you're currently doing.

Combat is class based, with your crew all doing different things that are largely based on the positions that you put them in. Lots of status effect stacking, manipulating your positions and the enemy positions with abilities, and doing your best to turn stacked numbers in your favour.

Essentially it's 2D XCOM style roguelike, but with a sanity mechanic woven through it. I don't know where the Match Three thing was coming from.
  • Anyone grabbed Galaxy of Pen and Paper yet?
  • Tempy wrote:
    The gameplay hook is that it's a difficult but compelling roguelike. The combat twist lies in the fact that attacks deal health and sanity damage. Sanity damage can cause people to be scarred with ailments which usually add negatives such as a propensity to steal items, harm others, or be afraid of certain enemy types, as well as other things.

You grab a party and go into a dungeon, which you have to explore. As you push further, the light goes out. As the light goes out you suffer more damage, take sanity damage over time, but your chance for critical damage increases. You also need to pack curatives, food, and sometimes camping equipment. Finishing a dungeon increases your levels and nets you loot that lets you upgrade your settlement so you can foray further.

Your crew toe the line between indispensable and collateral to your ultimate goal, as you may mismanage them into a position where they're so afflicted with problems that you may as well suicide them, or they are so high levelled that they won't partake in the quests you're currently doing.

Combat is class based, with your crew all doing different things that are largely based on the positions that you put them in. Lots of status effect stacking, manipulating your positions and the enemy positions with abilities, and doing your best to turn stacked numbers in your favour.

Essentially it's 2D XCOM style roguelike, but with a sanity mechanic woven through it. I don't know where the Match Three thing was coming from.

Thanks.
    I did say it looks like those match 3 [crawlers] minus the match 3 aspect.
    You set a party of different aspected and coloured allies, healer brawler, ranged etc... then you go into the dungeon, you meet a screen of foes. Select the one you are strong against to attack and then match gems on the board, that determines the attack strength. Then the foes have their turn to attack you, repeat...
    So not too dissimilar by the looks of it but just without the match 3 gems type of thing was what I was getting at.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!