Xbox
    bordude
    PSN
    bibidybobbidyboo
    Wii
    bordude / bibidybobbidyboo

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    Dishonored 2 ng+ High chaos as Emily. Even with all the runes from the first play through and scouring each level there's still not enough runes to power everything up. There's just to many powers, some of which are a bit rubbish, so you basically fall back on reach/blink and bullets/bolts. Cos the others are too fiddly most of the time, Got a chance to explore more of the levels though and they're really well designed. There's so much to see and do if you explore. Still feels not as good as the first though. Deffo not up for a third powerless play through, 61% of trophies.

This seems to be the general theme this generation. Most sequels are slightly worse than the previous generation's version, extra shiny graphics aside. Batman, COD, Dead Rising are three examples in addition to dishonoured. I'm sure there are plenty more.
    Twitter: Mr Three-Dee@martingwilliams
  • What Remains of Edith Finch
    If you didn't like Virginia then you'll probably hate this, although it's more interactive. It's short enough that if I wanted a refund from Steam after finishing it, I could easily get one. It looks pretty good mostly, exceptional occaisionally, and poor once or twice. Beyond pure aesthetics, it might have one of the most densely designed locations in a game ever, and every inch of it characterises the stories that are told, perhaps in a way that might feel trite or twee to some, but from the first look you get at the house you kind of know what you're in for. Oh, the the music is lovely. Sometimes your walk speed is too slow. If you like The Royal Tenenbaums, 100 Years of Solitude, Gone Home, or That Dragon, Cancer, I imagine you will like this. It doesn't represent a new shift in storytelling in games, but if you like the category of games that this falls into, you won't mind. 

I don't really feel the need to go overboard with detail because it's quite a weird game. There is a lot of novelty in the best sections. Out of them all there are three stand out sequences that I believe had their intended effect, but given the nature of the game I don't want to talk about them. One of the has a twin-analogue section that's one of the best uses of opposing analogue sticks since Brothers. I am broken when it comes to emotions and so I felt the correct emotions for each story, and that means I both laughed and welled up a bit. I'll leave it at that.

Tin will like this.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    READS LIKE A [TIN]
  • Is that from the South African review?
  • Finished it already?!

Ticked off two and I'm on my third. Going bed now. Great so far. That tune. So haunting.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Steam refund is 2 hours. Finished it in 110 mins.
  • And yeah, immediately reminded me of Gone Home. And after the first main but I did, I see the 100 Years in it. Weird and also disturbing.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Completed South Park The Stick of Truth earlier. I have to say I really, really enjoyed it. The combat was good fun and the quick time aspect helped keep it lively throughout. The humour was good and the quests were, in general, really good fun. Thankfully, however, the game was also fairly short which helped ensure it didn't outstay its welcome.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Little Nightmares

Had my eye on this for a while, was hoping for a stylish Inside type, which is more or less what I got.  It started well, then became a touch irritating by the second section, so I ended my first sitting feeling a bit disappointed.  All is forgiven for the latter half of the game though; sections three onward were pretty classy.  Some of the camera angles don't suit the 3D movement (why tilt the view awkwardly when the character is traversing a thin platform?  It should be user-friendly to get from A to B, not Monkey Ball), and the long-armed blind enemies were a bit of a swing and a miss for me, but overall I've got no qualms about having paid £15.99 for the disc + soundtrack.  If this were digital only I would've waited for a sale, but releasing it as a retail title too reeled me in, so more of this please.  Bundles of atmosphere and the Delicatessen/Inside/Spirited Away/Tim Burton fever dream mish mash of styles ended up working really well.  

[8]
  • I liked Edith Finch, it certainly wasn't a turkey like Virginia or a dead and decomposing duck like The Beginners Guide. 

It has some beauty, some humour, a couple of neat ideas and was only 60% as twee as I feared it would be. That said, while I like walking simulators as an idea I'm not sure they need to try to be so emotionally weighty. At least this one is relatively self aware.

[Prot out of Proteus]
  • Did you think that the 
    Spoiler:
  • I agree with all of that. Big spoilers.
    Spoiler:
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Is there any service that offers a single view into steam+psn+xboxlive to make it easier to see if you own a game on any of them (if you don't care which)?
  • So I guess I have kind of completed Forza Horizon 3...as in I have completed an exhibition race at all locations, fully upgraded all festivals and completed the bucket list. Whilst I know there is still a huge amount to do, I feel like this is a good enough moment to say I am finished with the main stuff.

I loved every single second. It is a stunning game to look at, controls well, has fun tracks and is just a constant stream of rewards, progress and awesomeness.

Gonna get Blizzard Mountain and Hot Wheels in the next few weeks.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Persona 4. 
    I didn't know anything about the game at all, only that quite a few people here really liked it, and that it's ok to cheat on the exams. I got totally sucked in, and am glad I got a vita for this. 

Final thoughts are a bit long and there are spoilers of course. It's just that this game has so much to offer that it's hard to not talk about it. (And B only gets jealous when I try to explain why this game is great, as he doesn't like playing handheld, but would have loved this game as well).
    Spoiler:
  • So I guess I have kind of completed Forza Horizon 3...as in I have completed an exhibition race at all locations, fully upgraded all festivals and completed the bucket list. Whilst I know there is still a huge amount to do, I feel like this is a good enough moment to say I am finished with the main stuff.

I loved every single second. It is a stunning game to look at, controls well, has fun tracks and is just a constant stream of rewards, progress and awesomeness.

Gonna get Blizzard Mountain and Hot Wheels in the next few weeks.

Pfft. Come back when you've completed all the championships in the main game as well as the mountain. You've barely started.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Nina wrote:
    Persona 4. 
    I didn't know anything about the game at all, only that quite a few people here really liked it, and that it's ok to cheat on the exams. I got totally sucked in, and am glad I got a vita for this. 

Final thoughts are a bit long and there are spoilers of course. It's just that this game has so much to offer that it's hard to not talk about it. (And B only gets jealous when I try to explain why this game is great, as he doesn't like playing handheld, but would have loved this game as well).
    Spoiler:

I will find time to peruse this tome today.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Back to that,

Oddly the PSP version of P3 gave you the option of a female protag and it was quite involved, with new romance options obviously and everything. Not completely sure why they seem to have ditched that idea from after.
    Spoiler:
  • Presumably to do it justice there's quite a lot more work.
    I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
    And the number of cans I can normally do is 12.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    @Bollock, I don't know anymore where I read the interview, it randomly showed up in GoogleNow. He felt like he had to put too many resources on getting the story working with both genders. In the games after he wanted the whole team to completely focus on just the one main story line and all the paths that would spawn from the different choices. It didn't bother me anyway, I'd rather have a good story.
    So P3 is on PSP? Might see if I can find a copy, I should still have my PSP at my mom's place.

And about your spoiler, yeah, that's exactly the reason why I wanna replay. Maxing that S.Link and looking at the story with more knowledge about the plot. It's for whenever I'll be flying back to NL.
    Looked at the trophy list and seems that there's another 2 that might be interesting to have a go at.
    Spoiler:

Just had a look at the PSStore, I can download P3P for the vita it seems... Don't think I have the time but it's good to have this knowledge now. No need to check if the PSP still works.
  • Yeah, PSP games play on the Vita.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Saw the second on the store as well, but for some reason that's even more expensive than the P3P. I'll keep an eye on them, don't have the time right now but it's good to know they're there. As long as Sony doesn't remove them.
  • Persona 3 is where the whole daily life and social link stuff started.

2 is fantastic, but much more of a trad RPG in structure. It actually comes in the form of 2 games, sold separately, so you might wanna make sure you either tackle part 1 first or do some reading up before the 2nd one which is the only one that was originally released in the west.
  • I thought about trying P3, but assumed it would be difficult to go back after playing the later games. P4's dungeons already felt dated and after P5 that feeling's only going to be exacerbated further, and I imagine P3 is even more old-fashioned in those areas. Or am I wrong?
  • P3 only has one dungeon which unlocks piece by piece, like Mementos in 5.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    The P5 opinion drop hype is real.
  • Ah? I really like 5. However, I think it's always gonna seem kinda anemic next to the content density of golden. It compares well to vanilla P4, which is what we should be looking at. I think a Golden equivalent could make it the second best in the series, but it's still great.

My review of it has been hard-going though, as I've struggled to articulate exactly why I think it's, thematically and conceptually, the strongest in the whole series - I'll probably not bother.
  • I think it's excellent at this stage. A slow starter, but gets better the more I play it, and I can't remember when I've played something so perfectly polished. Also, while there are some contrived plot points, the overall narrative is really well done. Better than P4 for me.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Got it. Both. I just wanted to feel less stir crazy with my own thoughts. Thematically I think it's both potentially powerful and surprisingly current with youth / old divide on a social scale (maybe not in Japan) but it's disrupted at key beats.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Tin will like this.

I don't know if that's a recommendation or condemnation from anyone else's perspective - but I shall definitely have to give it a look now...

Meanwhile, I've just finished Statik,which is on PSVR.  Quick version - if you have access to PSVR, then play this.  It's a slightly odd game in a lot of respects - firstly it's a perfect fit for PSVR in that it actively takes the limitations of the technology (you're fixed in one place, and can't see your real world controller), and makes them part of the game.  You play the game through the eyes of a test subject, body strapped to a chair, device attached to your head, and hands sealed inside a strange box.  Each level gives you a new "strange box" to deal with, and the first job on any stage is to figure out just what each and every button on your controller does with each device.

In fact, to be honest, that's mostly it.  Figure out what the buttons do.  Then figure what the box does.  Then do it.  Except each one represents a very different puzzle requiring a very different way of thinking.  Some were immediately obvious to me, some had me stumped for a fair while.  All of them were deeply satisfying once I'd got them.  (Actually, that's not quite true.  The very last one is a bit duff, but it has such a fine payoff, I can forgive it.)

Beyond the puzzles there's a bit of what can only be described as filler, including a recurrent and decidedly weird series of question and answer sessions.  These are mildly amusing, but really only serve as a kind of washout period before the next puzzle.

At first, I wasn't really convinced this was a game that needed to be in VR, but without going into too much detail, as the game went on it became apparent I was wrong.  That's kind of a shame really, because it's a game that deserves to be widely played - it's not quite Portal level shenanigans, but it comes close.  

Finally, it's worth saying that, like most VR games out there, it's really short.  A few hours will allow you to clear the main game.  It's a really satisfying few hours though, with a gently, obtusely told Sci-Fi tale buried within it.  Highly recommended for anyone with the kit necessary to play it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!