Just completed
  • Chucel - the art work is minging, the main character is an annoying dick and the whole thing feels like an irritating fever dream.
  • COD4 Modern Warfare Remastered. Nowhere near as good as i remember! Dare i say the newer campaigns are better, the sneaky sniper bit with the Scottish dude aside, of course.
  • It was always shit. MP is where it was at.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Would have bought it when it was on sale recently till I discovered they were actually charging for the DLC maps separately. 

Greedy feckers.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Fire Watch (Xbox One)

If they could iron out the bugs (software ones, not in-game bees or owt) and the graphical issues (mainly screen-tearing), we'd have a stone cold classic of the walking simulator.

[9] conversation branches out of [10] plot curve-balls.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Domina

Well, I guess. It's one designed for replay and has an endless mode. Could dig deeper and build better gladiators quicker. Could up difficulty. Could try direct control of gladiators.

Some aspects of menu management could definitely be designed better, but it's generally fine.

Very strong aesthetic, sound track and rough and ready dialogue.

Definitely worth a crack.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Refunct
    Supershort FPS puzzler for PC. Lovely music, pleasant from start to finish, if not that challenging.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Domina sounds awesome, really need to give that a razz.  Always love it when you read good things about an obscure PC game, then find it's already in your library!

Lollypop Chainsaw (PS3)

A silly Grasshopper Manufacture beat em up.  I liked this when it came out - in my head it was a game where it was a little dull the jokes didn't land for the first couple of levels, but then it got progressively better and funnier as it went on.

That's still true I think, except it never got good or really funny; it was just okay to play and the jokes never really landed for me this time, but the setting and characters are wacky and pleasant enough for the most part.  Maybe the humour didn't really work for me this time since I wasn't really into the game as much - the game does boast 'famed Hollywood director' James Gunn as creative consultant and a writer.  I quite like his work on the whole and also Grasshopper's stuff.

The fighting's good in and of itself - basic stuff but it's fun.  It also has a cool gimmick where you get bonus points for killing a bunch of enemies at once.  You're encouraged to round up the enemies like a sheepdog, before hitting a decapitation.  Makes you think about how you're playing a little differently.  Quite like it.

Where it fell down for me:

*you can barely play more than 30 seconds in a row without the game wrestling control from you.  You beat a group of enemies, the camera lurches around to the exit, or shows your next objective.  Mostly it's always really obvious stuff, like there'll only be one exit anyway.  Sometimes the camera does not lurch away, and it's never a problem to find your way out!  
    *It's a short game but levels are spread very thin, dragging on for around an hour, and long after it's run out of ideas on how to mix it up.  Think I would have enjoyed it more as a budget, 3 hour game.
    *Didn't enjoy any of the boss fights.  If I never see a boss where you deplete it's life bar, then it refills and starts another phase, I'll die happyish.

Does have a really fun soundtrack.  Mickey kicks in when you power up and you get Cherry Bomb on the title screen for instance.  Good stuff.  The pseudo comic book aesthetic looks pretty rough and plain though and has not aged so well.

Okay game but wish I never played it again really.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Hollow Knight (PC)

The game I most wanted to play last year, has now been played.

And it was well worth the wait.  

It's basically Ori with swords, or 2D Dark Souls without numberwang, or Meat Boy RPG, or Salt & Sanctuary distilled to a funner essence.  It's basically a molding of three of my favourite games ever (those formentioned, excluding S&S, which isn't quite that rarified) - but then it's own thing on top, with charm, character, depth, fuckloads of content (more free DLC coming soon), for like £7.50 on Steam.

The platforming is tight, at times pretty challenging, but never unfairly so (in contrast with Ori's escape sections).  The fighting takes skill, but is simply executed.  The characters and narrative are deep, the world ongoing.  And the map mechanic was excellent, IMO, maybe the best cartographical execution I can think of in a game (how the map is established, rather than its rendering).

25 hours to complete, 80% done, I'll go back.  But I'm daunted by the rest.  Cos it demands a lot for what it gives you.  

Remarkable value, indie gaming at its very peak.  An achievement on every level.  For I think the first time since Super Meat Boy, it's a [10].
  • Well jel that you had the time. I got as far as beating a boss and getting a new ability to be able to progress to second area or something.
  • Demon’s first, then Hollow Knight. I think. At some point.
  • Mad Max

Incredibly solid open worlder.. let down a little by the lack of plot, the general unlikeableness of Max himself and a found the conclusion particularly annoying. But there's a lot to like a lot to do .. it's just that a bit like Just Cause it kind of needs you to mix up how you do it and it doesn't have quite the toolset to stop that becoming a little dull after a while.

The open world, you assistant and the car are all the stars though and a lot to like about it.

7 cans of Dog Food out of 10.
    I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
    And the number of cans I can normally do is 12.
  • Ass to the Creed: Origins - Discovery Tour -

Possibly my fave free add-on to a game. The (75) tours give a decent overview of Egyptian (and some Greco-Roman) customs, traditions and lifestyles.

Very cool to be able to wander around unmolested in 1st person and to interact with the lush environment in some neat + surprising context-sensitive ways.

Fantastical beliefs and that (extremely) grizzly and complex mummification process aside; their institutions and patterning of everyday lives don't seem that far removed from our own. 

Titbit: Apparently they loved their beer and drank it while working and with meals everyday (including children) - daft surely, de-hydrating oneself and one's progeny whilst living in such a hot desert climate. Sleuthing needed to establish the veracity of titbit + some other, odd, factoids.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    People in Britain used to drink beer all the time as the fermentation process was one of the few ways to make water safe to drink. The beer in question had a very low alcohol content and is the origin of the term ‘small beer’ used to describe something unimportant. I wouldn’t be remotely surprised if the Egyptians did the same.

• Ah, so not a bunch of raging alcoholics plying their young folk with booze while attempting to re-animate the dead and create inter-dimensional portals then. Esteem restored.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Blip Blup (Android)

Puzzler by the Monument Valley folk, but more boring, and less aesthetically pleasing.  A few tough levels (particularly getting three stars; for unknown reasons, it's impossible to get two stars on any level, which somehow annoyed me), but it was all just a bit boring.  I also did find the solving very intuitive, and not in a good way.

A "meh" [6].
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Type:Rider (PS Vita)

So I genuinely thought this was one of the worst games I've ever played.  I only completed it so I could write one of those comedy scathing reviews, which I'm about to try to do - but in googling how to spell the name, I'm somewhat shocked to discover a 90% rating on Steam, with "Very Positive" reviews.  I mean this is clearly bullshit.  Please, somebody else, play it, and back me up here!

So yeah, this game.  It's just awful.  It takes a fundamentally dull subject matter - fonts - and then removes the fun from it to give the premise for a platformer.  The physics for your character(s) - a colon (the two dots in the name) - are very hard to work with - depending which is/are touching the floor, jump does subtly different things, and it all feels chaotically non-determinstic.  So for the trickier sections (of which, fortunately, there weren't many) there was always an element of crossing fingers.  And you can get stuck on scenery - in a fucking 2D platformer - and it's hard to read what will/won't kill you, and there's insta-death sections, and bits where you cannot predict what's ahead so fairly inevitably die the first few attempts.

Fortunately the checkpointing was generous.  But it kinda had to be.

Worse though is just the sheer boredom of it.  There's no excitement to progression.  I mean Level 7 is "Times New Roman" - whoopedy fucking doo.  And the rewards for getting the hard-to-reach asterisks are exciting (spot the sarcasm) snippets of info about that level's font.

The world map is a hill.  With a steady upwards incline.  With a flag bit for each world.  That's it.

There are 9 main worlds - and then in a rare moment of excitement, a 10th bonus world.  And, to show how hip the developers are - it's COMIC SANS, and it even has a cat with lazers coming out of its eyes, cos yay memes n shit.   Fuck me.

Oh and each world goes platformy it / puzzly bit / platformy bit / puzzly bit.  And all the platformy bits and puzzly bits are shit.

Just dire.  A generous [3].  Please, though, somebody else play it to convince me I'm not just disappearing up my own arsehole.

Thanks.
  • You could play some good games, you know. Your completed list reads like some self-imposed gaming flagellation.
  • Even I gave up after 10 minutes of Type Rider.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Florence (Android)

Interactive story, really, but I liked it - nice art style, quaint story (awww), nice UI.  A rose-tinted [8].
  • Gunstar Heroes. This is still my favourite game ever which is pretty much indicative of my attention span. Lovely mechanics, it still looks fantastic, memorable boss fights and you can complete it under an hour. Really nostalgic game for me, bringing back fond memories of me completing this with my SNES owning neighbour co-op and one that still stands up. Gee, I love and miss Treasure x
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Obviously there's more to Gunstar than Seven Force, but omg Seven Force.  BOSS IS APPROACHING.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    KAMI (PC)

Simple concept for a puzzler, but very well executed, and surprisingly fiendish at times.  Gold on all the 'classic' puzzles, but still a few 'premium' to go, but I'm going for a stingy [7] at this stage anyway.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Obviously there's more to Gunstar than Seven Force, but omg Seven Force.  BOSS IS APPROACHING.
    I've never beaten all seven forms, I probably need to rectify that. He's in alien soldier too iirc.

Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Ehh.  I'm probably gonna give that another go at some point, as I'm still not quite ready to admit I just don't like it, even after five or six attempts over the years.  I've seen the first couple of levels plenty of times.
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Probably the closest I've come to feeling like I did when I finished FF7 back in the 90's. I really enjoyed this. It took me just over 60 hours to complete.

Particularly impressed that I didn't need to grind at all to see the end. Every time I got stuck, I just needed to rethink my party and set up. The field-skills aspect, however, did mean I had to retrace a few steps to progess - as my characters didn't have the necessary skills to clear certain check-points. Perhaps I should have paid closer attention to that.

The real star is the battle system, which keeps on adding new elements all the way to the end. There's loads of layers and systems in place, perhaps too many. It did all click for me though and battling never felt like a chore.

I reckon 8 out 10 is a fair score for this.

• Breath of the Wild

All I got was a gold star, so all you're getting is a score.

5/5 (not as good as Odyssey)
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    That's Kirby star allies done. Kirby games usually go off the rails at the end but this was a new level of batshit, fighting a giant demon in a battle out of
    Spoiler:

Completely insane.
  • Kirby's mask for that bit was straight fire.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!