Just completed
  • Andy wrote:
    So, regarding online...

Ah. So here’s where that post went. Oops.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Hmm. I didn't enjoy the exploration in HK too much, thought navigating the map was a chore at times. Doesn't bode well for HLD does it?

I tried Axiom Verge a bit over the weekend. Didn't get on with that either, too retro for me.
  • Did you ever finish The Mummy?  Can't remember if it was you or Gav playing it.  Or both.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Nah, again too retro. It's not the visual style, as I like the look of them, but going back to that hold button to stand still and aim thing after playing modern stuff like Shadow Complex is a no go for me.
  • You didn't miss much.  A couple of half decent bosses and loads of irritating platform sections where your character gets knocked around the screen by bats.
  • Apotheon
    Not just completed, but got the platinum. Although, that was achieved through a wee glitch; the penultimate trophy is achieved through completing the game on Olympian difficulty. However, if you start a new game on that difficulty in your original slot, then load your save just before the big final boss fight, and beat him, that counts.

Anyway, it was a rather enjoyable romp through Greek mythology. At times frustrating, if you were overwhelmed by enemies, or the game was being a little obtuse about how to proceed, or in trying to remember what each thing in your inventory does and also select it in the heat of battle, but it was otherwise a fine enough mix of action and platforming, with some voice acting that would suitably put you in mind of Clash of the Titans etc. The art style is a selling point, but there’s more to the game than looking interesting.

One nice touch (which I believe is also used in Spider-man) is that when you find new (stronger) armour, it upgrades all the armour of that category you own, so that you can keep wearing whatever you think looks coolest.
  • Yeah, good little game that.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I did it. Completed Bravely Default, a game that keeps on walking that fine line of being way too tedious and making you want to go all in.

I have to admit I needed 1-2 week breaks between sessions, but every time I got back to it it managed to absorb me and I couldn't see why I took me so long to get back into it. Until that next point of saturation. It was worth it though, what a ride. It's so silly and meta, characters turn out to be way more interesting than you'd think at first.

Game clock says 103 hours, 3DS clock says 111. Time well spent. I did everything I wanted and got everything I had my eye on. I know you can clear it in half that, I had Muzzy's copy of the game and his save file has around 60 hours I think.

And you unlock a movie for Bravely Second after you've completed it. Oh my. Seems like that's gonna take it to the next level.
  • Old Man’s Journey

It wasn’t an entirely unpleasant experience, but I can’t say I’d recommend it. IIRC, this is the game I bought with my gold coins on Switch. I might have resented paying much for it.

How to describe the gameplay... imagine the scenery, mostly rolling hills, is made up of individual pieces of paper, some of which you can slide up and down a limited amount, but not if your character is standing on it. And he has a sort of an MC Escher-ish ability, to traverse the scenery by skipping from one hill to another, anywhere their outlines meet. The idea is simply to make progress. At times, you have to work out how to manoeuvre sheep between spots of green grass so you can pass, or how to pass walls, and so forth.

It can be a little frustrating, as it’s not always clear where the game wants you to end up; it may want you towards the top of the screen to travel further into the scene, the bottom to pull out, or the left or right. And there is a train section, involving pulling scenery up or down to make a straight track, that simply goes on too long.

At the end of each chapter, the old man sees something that triggers a flashback. There is no talking, no text. I’m probably an idiot, but I didn’t think the storytelling was as clear as the developers obviously thought it was.

It is very pretty, though.

DoBNQaIU4AAfQsL.jpg

DoBNQaCV4AAUo1F.jpg

DoBNQaIV4AE7YbB.jpg

DoBNQafV4AEquZA.jpg
  • Been tempted a couple of times but I think I'll give it a miss then, thanks.
  • 42946634_10217829769314988_7386197701521571840_o.jpg?_nc_cat=100&oh=0793ce506d63f13c8a7bb23dc88fb4db&oe=5C595DAA

Tomb Raider: Shadow of the Tomb Raider or something or other.

It's semi sort of open world and I'm not sure it really suits Tomb Raider. In general I preferred the previous game. This one feels padded and simultaneously a bit slim. There's lots to do but much of it isn't very interesting. Some of the Side Missions are terrible so I gave up. The optional Tombs are good when you can find them.

The story is bobbins and I'm not entirely sure I could tell you anything about it.. you start off with the usual Private Army type thugs.. then it goes a bit Assassin's Creed for a long stretch before back to the thugs and none of it makes much sense .. there is of course a McGuffin to find.

It's like they've just thrown to much stuff at it, to many systems, to many collectibles, to many things to search for.. You have to do Bat vision every few steps and it lights up with crap that'll award XP and you need that as you don't really know what upgrades are going to be needed. They're a mixed bunch too.

It's just a tiny bit unpolished. You end up longing for the crisp platforming of Uncharted and you get the feeling Drake wouldn't of made quite so heavy weather  of it. There's so many systems in play the game is still over laying them to make sure you don't forget that of course I can repel down here or make this jump with an axe swing.. It's also quite janky with her sometimes bouncing off things when she should stick the landing or getting stuck in teh scenery and bouncing around.. fitting tribute to the PSone classic but not quite on in this day and age.

Also she dies a lot. and the load times aren't quite fast enough to stop this being annoying.

Swimming is absolute bollocks even after three upgrades. and the air hole animation is exactly the same every time. Give the girl scuba gear already.

Oh and despite a hue range of costumes I'm being forced to play a huge amount in a set costume. Which is annoying.

It's fucking beautiful to look at though. Went with resolution over frame rate and it's gorgeous.

Oh and the final boss fight required far to many hits. Fuck off. Three hits is the rule.

Overall though it's an enjoyable enough romp. Worth a tenner for sure. 7 out of 10.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Bit of a stretch to call that stuff in Uncharted platforming.
  • That's about when I was expecting with TR.  Hopefully I can burn through it without having to do extra stuff to level up my skill trees.
  • You wait until you see all the white paint they've used in this.

and this is straight out of the Uncharted play book

42894636_10217821875077637_3645608510458167296_o.jpg?_nc_cat=109&oh=d1d52bc578d378a30cd25e9928686d66&oe=5C4E6A9E

May as well make me walk through it and talk to some locals.. oh.. you are doing.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Skill tree is uber disappointing.. ended up with loads of points left over cos nothing interesting in it.
    The Forum Herald™
  • I like walking about taking to locals.
  • I guarantee you wont in this.. I've never heard as much dull crap.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Bob wrote:
    I've never heard as much dull crap.
    Have you played Octopath Traveler?
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Been tempted a couple of times but I think I'll give it a miss then, thanks.

@Moot_Geeza I have free copy via humble.... all yours if you want to dabble.
  • Much appreciated but I only use consoles, my laptop struggles to run Google Chrome.
  • Spec ops the line.

Very very good. Small lack of polish around cover controls, but it packs a punch. Played on pc, and with all the settings cranked up it looked quite OK for a now oldish game.

Spelling Konrad with a K really saved us all from lazy heart of darkness comparisons, luckily.

• Lol

I absolutely loved it. Good to see it getting more love.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Into The Breach

Spent a fair amount of time on this now and have done it on Hard mode with the squad I find it easiest with. So I’ma call it completed there although could just keep on playing and playing. It’s an utterly fantastic game that is so fun to play. An an amazing soundtrack. Will go into my Top 100 list.

[9]
  • I'll probably fold and buy that in a sale at some point, depending on how WarGroove turns out. I do want to try it, despite not being convinced I'd like it (see also: Dead Cells).
  • Dragon Quest XI

Saw the credits this morning after 60 hours. This really is an old school SNES JRPG brought up to date with sharp visuals and lots of user friendly gameplay features. It's actually too generous in some ways, to the point of overriding any meaningful challenge - I don't recall ever finishing a JRPG before without ever seeing a Game Over. Plus it certainly feels overly conservative in its structure and combat for the most part. 

But there's a sense of nostalgia and a certain comfort in knowing how things will work that comes with that too. And actually it does get more interesting as the game goes on, especially as you realise that the slow pace in establishing everything in the first half has been working to set up a much breezier second half with a number of good narrative pay offs. The characters are also a good bunch once you get to know them (although the hyper-camp Sylvando pushes things too far at times).

So perhaps not the classic I was hoping for, but it's a very well made game with tons of stuff to find (expecting a lot of post-credits stuff now) and that usual DQ style and charm.

A 7 or 8, depending how harshly you judge it for lack of originality and some dated content.
  • How many hours did you put into it?
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    How many hours did you put into it?
    Sorry, just edited it in. About 60 to the credits. Could certainly be done quicker though.
  • That’s not too bad for an RPG!

I need to start a rota for the games I’ve got on the go.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!