Just completed
  • Red Dead Redemption 2!! At first i liked it, then i find it a bit of a drag, just so big, felt i was getting nowhere, then when i could sense i was near the end (and i sorted out settings on my new TV to make it look ridiculously amazing) i absolutely loved it.
    Spoiler:
  • I wasn't aware it had alternate endings, I didn't get the one in the spoiler.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I wasn't aware it had alternate endings, I didn't get the one in the spoiler.

There's 4 depending on story choices and karma level or whatever it's called.
    Spoiler:
  • I didn't purposefully do anyone wrong outside of the main story (apart from to a woman who was relentlessly attacking me in a town and absolutely would not stop ever until she was dead, aka the actual best bit in the game), but I didn't help anyone either.  I guess my ending was somewhere in the middle.
  • Yeah i got full honour or whatever, wasn't that hard, just ocassionally help strangers, don't kill anybody outside of missions.
  • Valkyria Chronicles 4

I've said elsewhere on the forum that I wanted to finish this before I go on holiday (tick), and before starting Fire Emblem (also, tick). I was around 15 hours in, but after another 25 hour push, I've seen the credits. Non je ne regrette rien!

I picked up the first VC on the PS3 and was immediately taken by the art style and the gameplay. I then got stuck on a mission. I also had growing frustration with with the system of chapters (which presents small vignettes of dialogue, as discrete parts of the tale) forcing me to listen and not play. I gave up, but I was annoyed that I gave up.

I'm a little older, wiser and I love my Switch - so when VC4 was released and the reviews said it was the best one since the original, I was sold. This time, it wasn't the same frustration that stopped me from playing, it was the commitment needed and the flurry of decent Switch games vying for my attention. That's on me, not the game.

Anyhoo, background context aside, VC is superb and I would recommend it to anyone who has a passing interest in turn-based games. The story is strong, but it isn't without its questionable content: particularly when it comes to children and women - albeit, the latter is cleared up a little as the story progresses. The real winner is the gameplay though - which really does make you think about how to approach the enemy and what tools you need for success.

I didn't have to grind too much to get the game finished, but there are some power-ups that you only see at certain character levels, which I had to get from completing the skirmish missions (main missions from another angle basically). Those power-ups make very (I mean very) light work of the latter foes. You also need to invest in resource allocation and there's always that fear that you haven't made the right decisions and you won't know until it is too late, but it didn't turn out like that for me.

I've probably rambled on too much and would be interested to see if anyone else has given this a go, or seen it through. If anyone is enjoying Fire Emblem and, after the 80+ hours that offers, wants more - I think this would be viable next choice.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I’ve started this a couple times but didn’t get more than a few hours in. It’s reassuring to know that it’s only 25hrs. I’ve easily spent more time than that on Fire Emblem.
  • Is he not saying another 25 hours after an initial 15, making it 40 in total?
  • Don't ruin this with your accurate maths. C'mon.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    It was late and I was drinking was my excuse. 40hrs still isn’t bad.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Tearaway (vita)

Good fun, it's looks amazing and I had more fun with the camera than I want to admit.

Around the halfway point / maybe two thirds in it started to drag a bit, but the last couple chapters made up for that.
    I enjoyed the use of the vita features, but wished they'd kept it a bit more basic at times. Specially when you had to use the rear touchscreen and move Atoi around, that felt very awkward. Also didn't enjoy the camera, the extra objectives want you to explore, but the camera prevents that and I got stuck on scenery plenty of times.

The charm of the whole thing made up for the annoyances though, there's some great moments with the only purpose of making you smile, and it works.
  • Agree on the camera and the charm. I was more moved by the conclusion than I care to admit.

The camera had issues, aye, but I found the game consistently inventive and one of the only games I can think of that really used everything the Vita had to offer, despite occasional frustrations.

An absolutely lovely game.
  • Great music too. Well, I liked it anyway.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Properly completed Red Dead Redemption 2 now!
    Spoiler:
  • I finished Metro: Exodus. Really rather excellent overall. Wasn't mad keen on the final hour or so but it wasn't enough to taint the experience. Feck playing it on a higher difficulty than normal though. No thank you, sir. Next up on the old Gamepass for me is Batman Arkham-whatever-the-latest-one-is.
  • Detention

So I'd read about this horror game that was supposed to be really good earlier in the year, and when I saw Detention on sale in the PS store I thought that was it. Turns out that the game I'd read about was Devotion and had only been released on PC anyway, and had since been removed from sale altogether. It also turns out that Detention was the previous game from the same Taiwanese devs, Red Candle. It also also turns out that it's really good.

Think something like a 2D side-on Silent Hill, with nightmarish versions of ordinary locations (most of it is set around a school). But there's no combat and it's a bit more puzzle focused, kind of like a simple point 'n' click adventure, but not shit. But then it's set in Taiwan during the 60s during the anti-Communist purges and all the disturbing shit connects to the terrors of the time. And it's really quite scary, or at least very tense for long periods. Genuinely effective horror. For instance, to get past monsters you have to hold your breath and walk really slowly right by them, which never stops being a nervy experience. You're also forced to get your hands dirty to solve some of the puzzles, with one 'solution' being particularly grim. But the inventiveness is admirable and it all fits with the overall themes. If anything, perhaps it drags out the final part a bit much, with a tonal shift that focuses more on the narrative, but it's a powerful enough story to get away with it.

And right now it's £4 on the PS store (other versions are available). It'll only take you around 4 hours to finish it. Give it a go. Preferably with headphones.

69099451_10157134921995831_1836952590466678784_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_oc=AQmE6KG8XhJF7FwpYdiLZp4xY1dFSQ3QSh5kXpu80K983WVaObyoJVR78ja6H8UD2JU&_nc_ht=scontent.fecn4-1.fna&oh=4f79f7c7798fa7df477f6ab9995a3c16&oe=5DC875CC
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Detroit. Really enjoyed it. I don't know how much influence I really had over the story but it felt like quite a lot. Great graphics and voice acting and the story kept me interested, despite being a classic sci fi trope basically. Probably also just the type of game that fit into my current circumstances too - nice bite size chunks.
  • Inside
    I'm sure I'm very late to this party, but I've just finished Inside, after picking it up (for free) through the Epic Game store. I enjoyed Limbo, but wasn't blown away. I think this is a better experience overall - albeit I'm not sure that
    Spoiler:
    was exactly the closure I was looking for, when I first started running through the woods.
  • It wasn’t what I thought would happen either, but I can’t think of a better conclusion.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Inside was great. The ending was certainly different, I loved it.

I've just completed Creature in the Well with 100% completion no less, I can't remember the last time I did that. Fantastic game, the odd difficulty spike here and there but I was never in any danger of quitting on it. The timer seems to be a bit wonky as it has me down as 24 hours, pretty sure I wasn't playing it in my sleep. It's not the longest game and completing it has left me wanting more, always a good sign.
  • Do we have a games of the decade thread yet?
  • Baba is You can wait, I'm terrible at it anyway. Creature in the Well next for me.
  • Do we have a games of the decade thread yet?

There's a games of the gen one iirc, but not decade. Sounds like a good one, someone make it pls.
  • Batman Arkham Knight. Enjoyed this in the end and even ended up doing all the DLC (I must have bought the Ultimate edition years back and not realised). The best part of the DLC was being able to play the game in the Burton Bat-Suit.
  • 8. Resident Evil VII

Had its moments. I’m glad they went back to creepy horror and first person perspective works really well. Started off good, but I found myself getting bored halfway through and the fetch quests got tedious. Picked up again later and was good for a while then kept going... it seems a mixed bag. And could’ve done with a more varied set of enemies.

Tried VR. I loaded a save from just before the final fight with Jack. Man, it was fucking awesome but I was feeling sick after just 5-10 minutes. Not for me. If only I had the stomach/head for it. 

[7]
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Arkham Knight done. Had it for ages on the pc but never got round to it. Pretty good overall and I did literally zero side missions, no Riddler stuff at all - main story all the way. The tank battles can fuck right off, though, particularly the later ones and the game definitely outstays its welcome by a few hours, the whole end part is just nonsense. But overall it was fun.
  • Gears of War 5

Gears is back and bigger than ever! Which sadly ends up translating to bloated, not titanic. Two of the central Acts take the COG out of the corridors they are familiar with and drop them in quasi-open world segments where you travel by skiff from objective to objective, uncovering hidden tasks along the way. It looks nice, but it plods, which is a pretty succinct way of summing up the whole game. It feels rote, with none of the set pieces carried off with the flair of the previous games.

New enemies seem to be nothing but awkward bullet sponges with a tendency to chain you with attacks that make a few of the tougher fights a bit tedious. It’s a shame because all of the drudgery is set in really beautiful vistas. The scale is pretty immense at times, with a special mention going to the section set in a red desert dotted with fulgurite, eventually leading to a set price set in storm where you watch the structure form and crumble as you play.

The story is utterly ho-hum, and it feels like they don’t really know what to do with it, just like the game itself. Characters are witty and enjoyable enough to be around, it ultimately there feel like there are no stakes, no one to position as a primary antagonist, and the rug gets pulled on you so quickly at times that you never feel like the impact has time to settle before you’re off blowing up the next disposable thing.

Heavy 6/10 material, but at least that gunplay is satisfying.
  • Sounds like it’s Gears alright.
  • I really enjoyed it, it just isn’t anything special

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!