Just completed
  • Her Story (Mac)

A great interactive story really. Use search words and terms to unlock clips (over 200 of varying lengths from a few seconds to a minute) of a woman being interviewed by cops, and piece together the story. But it’s so well put together, works really and is surprisingly compulsive in trying to find more videos. Hits get less successful (diminishing returns) as you progress obviously but there is a skill to it (listen carefully to the clips and suss out key words that may occur across more than one clip etc).

I found all but one random clip in middle and a block of 8 towards the end. (A database diagram shows which ones you’ve found.) Found the random one after I made credits roll, but still no idea about the block of 8 (I know when in the interview they are but not how to trigger them?!). Gonna look it up.

Well worth a few quid and few hours of time. Onto Telling Lies shortly.

[8]
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I really liked her story but found Telling Lies extremely anoying and fairly boring
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • The problem with Her Story was that, if you got the right search terms, you could see the clips that were meant to be seen later very early on, making the rest a dull mop-up.
  • GRiD

Overall I enjoyed it.. still got some events to mop up but essentially finished the campaign..

It kind of straddles the sim/arcade racer divide with mixed results.

there's a few problem and complaints but mainly you either start at the back and fight through the pack with variable results or start at the front and don't really see anyone.

There's got to be a better way of framing a car career than here's a list of events get top three to move on and here's money for cars.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Andy wrote:
    The problem with Her Story was that, if you got the right search terms, you could see the clips that were meant to be seen later very early on, making the rest a dull mop-up.
    I get that but still prefer it to telling lies, watching someone go “aha”; “mmm”; “aha” isn’t my idea of fun.   Also where the fuck is the rewind button?
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I enjoyed Her Story and have Telling Lies in my PoS I think. So maybe I should adjudicate?
  • Just finished The Witness.

I'll try and go into more detail about it another time, but I did not like it.

It's oh so very clever and well put together, and quite pretty. The ambient sounds are good too. I liked some of the puzzles.

There's just something cold, and quite off about it all. I generally get what it's about, but there are probably more efficient and pleasant ways of getting that stuff across. It feels quite hollow somehow.

I am kind of proud that I managed to force myself through the endless bumper book of puzzles, many of which were dreadfully repetitive, and some that were genuinely unpleasant. I did enjoy some of the environment based ones, until they overstayed their welcome.

I got it for free so there's that, it got to the point where I had to get to the end to see if there was more to it, but having done that I now realise I should have done something more productive and enriching with the time.

5/10
  • Pretty much what I feared and the reason I didn't play it, particularly the bumper book of puzzles bit, and you've justified my decision.  Excellent stuff.  Much like Baba I assume it's not for me.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Nah you're doing it wrong
  • Line puzzles though? They're only slightly more fun than wordsearches.
  • Classic Muzzy Moot
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    It's a game that imo has a lot to say about the nature of epiphanies which I think was also one of the meanings behind all the audio logs. But I'm currently on a break from it for the third time after only 50% of the way through so I guess there are limits with how much I can relate to Blow's attention span.

To me the most impressive thing about Witness is some of the illusion sculptures you see created by statues and shadows.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Unless Blow's point is telling you epiphany burn-out is a real thing and effects hundreds of cosmic brain game designers like him so what chance do you have of making a good game.

What a dick head.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    A Short Hike is wonderful. An [8] for sure.
  • I think I enjoyed playing A Short Hike more than any other new game I've played this year.  I mean, I haven't played many new games but still.

I legit choked up at the peak.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Squidlit (Switch)

GOTY 2020.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • I was tempted but it's tricky to gauge how well a GB homage platformer plays from trailers. Glad Awesome Pea had a demo as I didn't like it. Recommended then?
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    You can beat it in an hour. But let's put it this way: I finished it, and then immediately played it through again.

Twice.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Stranger's Wrath on the PC for the billionth time.

Now that it launches from Steam I can get achievements, so that was a good excuse for another playthrough - even though my last one was only a few weeks ago.

What joy to see that a number of achievements are bugged and don't unlock, and some require you to get them in one playthrough as the counters reset if you quit the game. Not great for the hidden barrels that appear in the first town and right at the end of the game - that's a long time to play in one sitting.

Luckily there are ways of getting around them so I've got all apart from the bounty 250 outlaws. Not sure whether to do the workaround or just play again and capture that many in one sitting. Obviously I'll do the latter as it's another excuse to play this again. :-)

Also, been playing on Switch. Too many stutters for me, it's not terrible, but not a patch on the PC version or even the PS3 - which was 720p rather than 1080p. Deadzone on the joy cons and pro controller are annoying as well as it makes it harder to aim. Still, it's SW so it's automatically the best thing on the Switch. ;-)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I've been tempted by SW on the Switch, but the price puts it out of impulse buy range. But when it goes on sale...
  • It ran fine on Vita so there’s really no excuse for a poor port
    The Forum Herald™
  • As a point of reference I thought it was poor on the Vita. It’s nowhere near that bad.
  • Oh ok

Maybe I should dust the vita off
    The Forum Herald™
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    The question now is: are Bob's standards too low, or mrsmr2's too high?

PLACE BETS NOW.
  • I played it on og Xbox as well and i sweAr Down it was fine on vita
    The Forum Herald™
  • My standards are fine for me. They are very possibly higher than a lot of other's.

Xbox played better than Vita version. Vita version isn't truly awful but it is the worst version of all.
  • Going to play through the xbox version again as it’s been a couple of years and rose tinted glasses ....

First impressions are the cut scenes look much better than any modern version when viewed on a crt.

Normal game looks a bit ropey, rubbish textures, and blurry sd graphics. 30fps (ntsc version) which is a shock especially on a crt.

Controls nicely (unlike vita) and load times are very fast - second only to the pc version.

Will play through a couple of towns to check the consistency of frame rate.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    credits rolled on Dragon Quest XI, 58 hours in, everyone at 99. And it hits you with the
    Spoiler:
  • You did all that levelling up before the credits?

At least it should make the rest of it easy, I guess.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yeah, I hit the electro / hallelujah buzz as soon as I got all party characters. Just something nice and mindless to do. The bosses were something of a doddle.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!