Just completed
  • I enjoyed JC2, thought 3 was aces, but 4 feels a little meh. It’s gone way down my list of things to play to the point I’ve considered deleting it. It’s only because I don’t need the storage right now that it’s still on there.
  • I've never played any of them. Jank fests?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Sack the rest off and play Cyberpunk

• Sack the rest off and play Cyberpunk

I'm gonna borrow my mates copy.

• Sack the rest off and play Cyberpunk

• regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    And that's 60+ hours in, but Yakuza 7 finished this morning in terms of main quest and all substories. I cleared some of the side stuff, such as the Holdings, the Dungeons, Baseball, Cinema, Vocational School and the like, but anything to do with driving (cans and kart) wasn't for me to be honest.

Plotwise, it's some of the great melodramatic Yakuza shit - you'll know by now whether or not that brand of particular apeshittery is for you or not. What shouldn't be underestimated is how outrageously good Ichiban is as a new protagonist, taking over from Kiryu. Just an absolute moron with a heart of gold and faith in his friends. If the next series entry is the continuing adventures of Ichiban, sign me up.

The new battle system/rpg stylings hit some highs and lows. Overall the system is a refreshing change up for the series, and the playfulness with which it approaches transposing jobs from game to 'reap life' makes it feel like a spiritual successor to The Stick of Truth, with nearly the same amount of crudeness. The vast majority of battle can be brute forced, but later on in the game, it demands you at least know RPG101, which is no massive ask. But at points it feels a little half baked, particularly in terms of positional attacks and area effects. I believe the system was changed pretty late in the development and this is where it shows. Much like the protagonist, though, I'm keen to see it continue in the future.

So yeah, it's more Yakuza, I'm here for it, and enjoyed my time. The sub stories are still that same mix of bonkers, emotionally manipulative, and odd comments on the mundanity of Japanese life (traffic census?) but the new stuff is welcome, and I'm happy to see the series finally stretch out in a different direction. Plus Nick Ogata is the best .
  • I've had Days Gone sat on my hard drive since getting the PS5, but the amount of open world games to play is ridic. I've got Valhalla to finish (never gonna happen) Days Gone, Ghost of T, possibly Cyberpunk at some point, Maneater and that Just Cause 4 from last month. It's mad.

Is Just Cause 4 worth a go or shall I just delete? I've also got Shadow of the Tomb Raider which is on plus but can't for the life of me remember if I've already played it. Is it the second game???

Shadow of the tomb raider is number 3.
    Rise of the tomb raider is 2.
    Tomb raider.
    (Reverse order as your one is at the top)

Just cause 4 is alright for 5 minute blasts but it's a really bog standard game and average at everything it does.

Ghost of tshumia definitely deserves a playthru.
    (Even just to see all the qol improvements needed in Valhalla etc)

Days gone is ok but really slow till you get to the hordes.
    (I still need to finish it too)

• I've been playing Days Gone and I'm really enjoying it. A lot more than Valhalla even. It's the most generic game ever. I think I just like guns and zombies. It's really good.
  • For me Yakuza 7 was goty for asking you to play as a homeless person - felt a real connection which I never get from Tolkienesque RPGs
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    We Were Here (PC)

Co-op puzzler.  Bit clunky/glitchy, but kinda fun for an hour or two.  eEscape Room, basically, with a nice touch of in-game chat via walky-talkies (so only one at a time).  Oh and it's free.  So yeah maybe worth a look if you have a suitable buddy.  

(There are two paid-for sequels, which I might try in due course...)
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Virginia - Didn't think much of this at all. Starts off interesting - walking simulator-style detective story with no dialogue and little text. Unfortunately it didn't end up hanging together for me. There is so little interactivity that there's little benefit to it being a game - the game rapidly cuts from location to location attempting to ape the editing style of a movie which cuts out some traversal but also results in this unsatisfactory gameplay loop where you search for an arbitrary interactivity prompt in a small scene then get transported to another small scene where you have to search about for an arbitrary interactivity point and so on. 

But ignoring the interactivity, the game doesn't even work as a piece of audio-visual storytelling. Having decided to go for a dialogue-free detective story, already a very ambitious concept and one with huge potential to accidentally lose players' understanding, the developers over-egg the pudding with a deliberately ambiguous narrative and trippy drug-infused sequences towards the end. Polygon posted an article entitled 'What's going on at the end of Virginia?' where the writer, along with elaborating on some fan-theories, talks to the lead designer, who notes that most players drastically misinterpret the story and that they haven't seen anyone match their interpretation of the story in detail. I think that says quite a lot, to be honest.

I'm sure some people will enjoy struggling to interpret this but I'm in the camp that thinks it's incoherent and personally suspect the story's obtuse nature is more incompetence and accident than design.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • I agree with most of that but still have a weird soft spot for it.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I agree with most of that but still have a weird soft spot for it.

I think if it had had dialogue or they'd kept it with no dialogue but taken more care to ensure the player could parse the story then it would have been pretty good. Like the limited interactivity would have always irked people but the rest of the experience is potentially interesting enough to still make it worthwhile. I get the impression the devs ended up too close to the project and just didn't get that their idea weren't coming across sans pre-existing knowledge of what the game was trying to convey.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • fucking hated Virginia

• Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order

Star Wars meets Tom Raider basically. The gameplay is alright, some cool force powers and abilitybto switch between single and dual blade lightsaber on the fly. The bosses for once were alright as well, none really ground me down with frustation

The story is quite enjoyable with a moral dilemma that is intriguing. Storyline Spoilers below.
    Spoiler:

I thought the game was overly long for me, could have done with being shorter but then its difficult to know what to cut out. It borrows a few influences from Dark Souls but doesn't really implement them properly. The loot boxes were completely meaningless to gameplay as all they did was give you new aesthetic pieces for your lightsaber or new outfit for the protagonist. That was definitely a weak part of the game. Loved my driod though. So cool. I want one.

I think Ilium was my favourite level of the lot
    Spoiler:

It just made me really want another KOTOR single player game.

Btw, it has one of the best last levels in a videogame that i can remember. It wasnt something i was expecting, so i was like OMG, WTF?!? Major spoiler below, don't click if you ever want to play the game through to the end.
    Spoiler:

All in all, an enjoyable game, room for improvement. 7.5

• Witcher 3

46 hours and 59 minutes playing apparently. I'm trying to think when I last spent so long (over a relatively small time frame) on a single player game, and I'm not sure I ever have, at least as an adult. And that was me trying to stick to the main missions as much as possible, with only a couple of witcher quests done.

Epic, sprawling, fun, silly, bit clumsy in bits but overall technically hugely impressive.

Overall, it was good enough to keep me playing. Which sounds like damning with faint praise, but it's also quite incredible for any game not to irritate me too much that i give up, especially this kind of open world game.
    Special praise for this though I think has to go to the xbox series X. being able to reload in about 2 seconds, quick resume and fast fast travel were all huge factors in keeping me engaged. I've not played on previous gen but can only assume that those things took a lot longer, and it's those moments where i can get frustrated, turn off, and never return.
    I'd also mention the checkpointing and quick save options, which together meant i rarely had to do a lot of repeating and travelling to get to a point i had died previously, which is another surefire way to get me to turn a game off.

I really liked that it made it easier to focus on the main missions, and gave level suggestions for missions to help you decide which to tackle next. It wasn't always perfect, but deffo preferable to a map cluttered with a million missions and no real idea of which ones should be attempted. Also being able to basically ignore crafting and alchemy stuff helps streamline things for me.
    Also being able to skip one sentance at a time in cutscenes, so i could just read the subs and speed things up, was another positive for me.

Basically, open world adventures always appeal, but for me there's always too much bloat and faff and frustrations and I just give up after a short while. Witcher 3 does a pretty good job of making it a lot more streamlined and letting you just follow the story and action if that's what you prefer.

Also a special note to the creepy pervy outfits on some of the main female characters. I'm fine with the sex and nudity in the relevant scenes and places, and i understand the witches might use it as part of the charm, but i do wish the devs had shown a touch more class at times. Ves' outfit was just silly (and even gets called on it in game), and Ciri, who is effectively your daughter, yet all the way through her top is open so you can see her bra and cleavage - even when you get to colder locations, she adds a fur collar to the outfit but still has her top open. Maybe I'm just getting old and it was my dad instinct kicking in, but I really wish I could have told her to put on a jumper or something! ;)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Wolfenstein 2

Well it would have been traded in if Cex were open but they arent. So i thought id give it a bash. Got the end. credits. Its not a bad game. The cutscenes are well written as are the side characters. Though 70s blaxpotation stereotype claire was annoying. I like BJs monologue to himself. The in game scenes were enjoyable as well. The "film script" being a highlight. Wont say anymore for spoliers.

Wasnt a fan of the HQ, didn't like the layout or getting lost.

Gameplay wise, not knowing where an attack was coming from if it wasnt in your direct field of vision was a pain. Having to press the square button to hoover up stuff was a pain. That sorta thing should be automatic nowadays. I did on occasion end up wondering around randomlessly when i couldnt figure out where to go next and the hint wasnt bringing up a direction arrow.

The rest of the gameplay was fine. Kill nazis basically.

Give it a solid 6.5/7
  • Wow. That’s a very high score. 93% is great. Will play at some point in my life.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Have you got it on Xbox dino?
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Have you got it on Xbox dino?

Nah ps4 moot. Can send if you have a ps4.
  • Cheers but it's been fucked for ages, only works for streaming. Got decent list of exclusives to catch up on when I get a PS5 now.

I might try Youngblood instead anyway, it's on game pass.
  • Gears 5 Hivebusters DLC

I thought it was quite poor. Writing poor, didn't care about the characters, action didn't seem very intense.
  • Donut County
    Pretty basic and very short but I loved it for what it is.
    [8]
  • Shovel Knight

After owning it for a year or more and bouncing after a few levels, I gave it another go and finished it. Can't say I really enjoyed anything about it really.

The gameplay is turgid. The music irritating and it looks horrible. I've finally realised I don't want to play another 8-bit inspired videogame in my life ever again.

I dunno why I persevered tbh. It was a war of attrition and I'm glad it's over and I can delete the thing off my switch.

Horrible game.
  • Shovel Knight After owning it for a year or more and bouncing after a few levels, I gave it another go and finished it. Can't say I really enjoyed anything about it really. The gameplay is turgid. The music irritating and it looks horrible. I've finally realised I don't want to play another 8-bit inspired videogame in my life ever again. I dunno why I persevered tbh. It was a war of attrition and I'm glad it's over and I can delete the thing off my switch. Horrible game.
    Enjoyed that review, would suggest you steer clear of cyber shadow

• I played it the other Knight. It's a lot more playable and reactive than shoveling turds.
  • I'm going to play it again now, just to be sure.
  • Chalice reviews remind me of Metacritic user reviews, where everything's either 10 or 0.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!