SAVE THE PIKMANZ (Pikmin 3)
  • Pikmin 1 was something like that I believe. I havent played P2, but P3 I guess feels short (given I'm estimating about halfway through with 6-8 hours done).

Enjoying it very much though. It's unlike any other game series.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Surely if you're halfway with 6-8 hours, that means it'll be about 12-16?
  • Order of magnitude!

Also I'm playing a bit slower somewhat - trialling out a day or two, then restarting the day and doing it efficiently. It's nice practice for multitasking.

I had one instance today where I finished a boss but didnt have time to take back the spoils of war to base, so the following day I sent one guy to harvest the carcass, another up the other end of the map to harvest some fruit, and the third babysitting a handful of yellow pikmin harvesting the chilli seeds.

Very good stockpiling day until some of those small spiders took their toll.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I'm more interested in the total time for 100%ing the story mode as it's something I'm very interested in doing - I don't mind if the time to credits is fairly short if there's a few more hours finishing off the fruit to be had.

There's also mission mode too, haven't even touched that yet.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • I think its such a relaxing game to play (until the twilight bell chimes) that completion time isnt going to fuss me. In fact, its more likely to make me go back and play P2 finally.

Visually P3 is lovely, but to me P1 still looks nice and organic, so it will be fun to see how P2 differs. I'm glad its a game that very few series have ever tried to ape too. Something unique in gaming can be very rare to come by.
  • I'm just bumbling my way through it, first time, enjoying the scenery and only replaying days in the event of horrible massacre (like when I accidentally threw a bomb-rock-carrying pikmin at a boss and in his misguided kamikaze adventure he took about 20 others with him). Then I'll do it again with 0 deaths. Then I'll wait until someone figures out what the quickest possible (number of days) 100% (0 deaths) is and I'll do that. Three games for the price of one; that's what makes it one of my favouritest games.

@vela - my favourite aspect of P2 is the dual-time underworld/overworld dynamic.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Apparently there's some sort of code hidden in it too?
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    There are a series of hidden tip files that don't have tips in - I got one that had this illustration with a single character in it. I think when you put them together you get a message or code or something.
  • @EvilRedEye - I got one of those in the third area (vaguely hinting) in one of the areas where you get tiles to go to the boss. Havent seen any others yet myself but now I know ...
    I'm just bumbling my way through it, first time, enjoying the scenery and only replaying days in the event of horrible massacre (like when I accidentally threw a bomb-rock-carrying pikmin at a boss and in his misguided kamikaze adventure he took about 20 others with him). Then I'll do it again with 0 deaths. Then I'll wait until someone figures out what the quickest possible (number of days) 100% (0 deaths) is and I'll do that. Three games for the price of one; that's what makes it one of my favouritest games. @vela - my favourite aspect of P2 is the dual-time underworld/overworld dynamic.

Thanks for the tip, I'll crack on with P2 I reckon after this is done with.
  • Well I've ordered Pikmin 1 for £12 and Pikmin 2 for £15. Do you they still look good on the Wii ?
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    2 looks good
  • I played the first one a year ago and it still looked fine to me, quite lovely tbh
  • For GC games, they look astoundingly pretty.
  • That's good news , I'm now playing with the remotes and its way better especially the aiming ! Took a while to find how to seperate your pikmin and stop them following you.

After enjoying this so much i can't believe I've never played a pikmin game before.

Despite people slating the fact you can use different controllers and its confusing , i thinks its another great idea from Nintendo , it would've and should've made the transition from Wii to WiiU so much easier if people actually knew about this great machine.
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • I only finished P1 for the first time ever about six months ago. I'm certainly not a graphics whore, but I still thought it looked very nice. Same with the brief bit of P2.

Obviously Pikmin 3 is another level, but it is astounding to me to think that what is a 12 year old game can still look this good.

Made some big progress in Pikmin 3 this afternoon, although one boss battle took a massive toll. 100in my squad, reduced to 47. Absolutely devastating enemy, incredible scale too. I like how some of the 'bosses' are very much tailored for fighting with specific coloured Pikmin, but you can still get them with some attrition with the other colours.

I've just come to accept that you need some types to start the battle, and others are colateral damage. The key is being quick with the C button to switch between what ones are being thrown.

And make sure to harvest those chillies whenever you have a spare pilot to send off with half a dozen Pikmin.
  • Pro tip: get all the yellow icons that look like save files that pop up on the ground early on.
  • OK, now I'm up to the final mission bit. Hurry up and play this people so I can talk about it.
  • I'm absolutely loving this though I've only put in about 8 hrs so far. I finally got the blue pikmin yesterday though, in a lovely twist in the story-line. Looking forward to whatever surprises still await though...
  • Brilliant twist that.
  • Finished. Final level is fantastic. Lovely game all round. Now to do Pikmin 2 I think.
  • Am I being thick or is there any way to have more than one save file going at a time, without switching Miis?

EDIT: Also, do unplucked Pikmin only become flower Pikmin if left overnight, unlike previous iterations?
  • Only one save file. You can get flower pikmin by feeding them yellow sap etc from eggs, some enemies and some things you dig up
  • Thanks but I'm still confused about flower pikmin; I should have been clearer. I know you can flower them by drinking nectar etc but I'm talking purely about unplucked pikmin. It seems that they possibly do flower if you leave them in the ground for a while, just not sure how long it has to be. In previous games it was about 5 mins (real-time).
  • I think overnight is the minimum time.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I've had some bloom to the flower stage but that was on a day when I came back after a boss fight to get the carcass so getting those seeds in was the first thing I did. They seem to need most of a day now.
  • Also make sure you send maybe 5 Pikmin on any level to collect endless torrents of those small red berries. Flower Pikmin are all well and good, but those berries are very handy.
  • Pikmin 2 flowering tip (mild spoiler for the uninitiated):
    Spoiler:
  • Cheers for that, I'll keep it in mind. Should get stuck into it this weekend I hope.
  • Had a crack at the final mission earlier and it's a crafty piece of work, to be sure. Not sure I've entirely gotten my head around why there's a 'flag' hierarchy thing, but if one thing's for sure, it's that this is trickier than the previous two games and could be a bitch to complete with 0 deaths.
  • Let me know when you figure out why. I won't say until you have finished it though.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!