Creating a website
  • Does anyone else use Google Analytics (and Webmaster Tools) much? This'll probably mean nothing to you, if you don't, but it made me smirk:

G615BeV.png
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    How did you get that result?

Google are usually pretty good with this kind of thing.
  • Came up while I was looking for RSS > G+ tools (I know, I know; I haven't had time to sort it properly yet).

I assume that someone at Google forgot to use their own tools, but it's kind of odd they don't ignore the GA campaign parameters across the board by default.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Could've been a test page that got deployed?

I'm just in the process of post web redev analytics checks - oh joy!
  • Ah, analytics checks are always fun. Been a tad easier on GA since they introduced the realtime bit. I assume you know about the debugger for Chrome, if it is indeed GA you're using? Spent ages pissing about with things before I realised that existed.

The link on that search result is the standard G+ homepage, only with the GA tracking from the Chrome "app" icon included. Presumably, someone had picked up the link and posted it to a site somewhere. If they were doing things properly, that should never come up in search results, though; even if they don't strip those parameters automatically, Webmaster Tools has an option to tell Google what bits of your query strings to ignore.

Edit: What's even odder is that the full URI from the icon is https://plus.google.com/?utm_source=chrome_ntp_icon&utm_medium=chrome_app&utm_campaign=chrome so they're ignoring two of the parameters.

Edit 2: Ooh, looks like there's a GA debugger for Firefox, too. Looks way better, too.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Nope didn't know that, but will take a look tomorrow thanks. My testing is more to do with relating new content and structure to the old site post launch and ensuring we haven't fucked anything up from a usability viewpoint.
  • As in making sure bookmarks and other external links get redirected to the right place? My sympathies if (like so often happens) nobody ever bothered speccing out the URL structures properly.

Related to analytics, have you heard about how Google's looking into replacing tracking cookies with some kind of "Advertising IDs"? Strikes me as one of those things that could be really good if implemented properly and widely adopted, but has pretty much zero chance of that happening.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    301's get done on launch, but I check those manually and in Moz.com. More to do with once you've changed the structure how do people one interact with it. What effect had the change made to conversion, bounce rate etc. 

I can't see the ad ID's working myself as I'm guessing that will involve more setup pain fir devs, which would lead more cost.
  • Ah, I get you. Thankfully, I've yet to be on a live site long enough to have to do that. I'm kind of dreading it.

Unless they royally fuck it up, I don't see these Ad IDs being more effort for devs at our level, I'd imagine it should all be handled by the ad servers and configured by traffickers. What I can see is it being worse for users, making them manage identity permissions and so providing loads of boxes they're going to click "ok" on without understanding and so legally giving companies more rights than they actually want to.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    The evil of cookies, did you ever see this vid kicking around when the EU cookie law was big news?

• No, it's pretty well made, tbh. Embedding videos using youtu.be links doesn't work, btw. For anyone that wants to see it:
    Spoiler:

I don't bother on my personal stuff, I think it's likely that I could get enough financial backing from various companies to overturn the law in court if they ever tried to do me for it. Not that they would, of course.

On stuff for clients, I do the small "just to let you know, we're using cookies" message with a close button at the bottom of the site. I figure that if companies with shit-loads of legal advice on tap reckon that's good enough, it should do anyone.

This is fun: http://nocookielaw.com/
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    This video is out of date anyway. We did a few click here to accept cookies type dialogs, then the ICO changed their minds and said it was ok to take an assumed opt-in policy, but that you had to notify users that you use cookies. Just like you are doing, so I'm sure you're find. We just direct people to the privacy policy now.
  • Ah, so that's why. Have to admit I pretty much ignored everything to do with it when I realised how unenforceable it'd be.

Poking about on YouTube, I have just been amazed by the variety of sharing buttons they've got now:

mUhdfIk.png

I've never even heard of two of those things.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Take a look at the updated Share This.  I never liked it, but the new functionality is pretty good.
  • Oh, didn't know they'd updated it, thanks.

It's certainly a lot better than it used to be, but I think I still prefer AddThis.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Generally I roll my own and just go with the major social networks, but it all becomes a bit of a ball ache when you have a client who wants people to share with 30 websites!!
  • Yeah, just dropping in a couple is easy enough, but it starts getting unwieldy after that. I keep meaning to start my own library for doing it, but then I keep meaning to start my own library for a lot of things.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Ha ha, I've been looking at frameworks lately, considering Foundation, but then there are always things I run into and think, the time I spend learning this I may as well create my own.

Will definitely need to get something done to speed up development.
  • I like to work more on functionality stuff than design, so haven't looked at things like Foundation for ages. Probably should, though; I seem to be getting more stuff where I have to design too and the only things I've currently got in my design toolkit are a CSS normaliser, an IE8 HTML5 shiv and a Twig function for doing responsive column classes.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Foundation is awesome.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    If you're a half assed lazy son of a bitch like me.
  • Is Sass a daemon? I don't know if I can run those on the cheap-ass hosting I use.

Edit: Oh, it's a Ruby thing, I see. I really should learn some Ruby.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Going back to RSS and social networks, I dunno if this suggestion to use IFTT gets you any closer to a solution?

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-auto-post-to-facebook-or-twitter-from-google-wi-1352124886
  • I had a good play with IFTTT a while back, but I need the posts scheduled and it can't do that itself. You can do Twitter via Buffer and direct to Tumblr (as it has it's own scheduler) but there's no suitable way to schedule Facebook from it or post to Google Plus at all (Buffer is an awful option for anything but Twitter, you see).

For a while I was using it to repost the Tumblr posts, 'cause it's got a really nice way of doing Facebook posts, but moved away from that so I can implement campaign tracking.

Once I get something sorted to auto schedule posts on the site, I might look at using it again, but eventually I'd like to have my own code interacting directly with the social sites.

If anyone's interested, I'll do a little post detailing my final choices on doing it, when I've settled on things.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    AJ wrote:
    Is Sass a daemon? I don't know if I can run those on the cheap-ass hosting I use. Edit: Oh, it's a Ruby thing, I see. I really should learn some Ruby.

Had a busy afternoon. Yeah sass is ok for you as you've got a mac so no issues running it. Check out Hammer for Mac on the AppStore I use it now for all my initial front end dev. Makes first round of development much easier, though I have to say my first use of sass wasn't great as I am very anal about the layout of my CSS and I don't like how sass outputs the final CSS. I think my usage of it will mainly be for variables.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Don't suppose anyone knows a Windows program that will apply .patch files? I'm sure it's a niche application but I can't find anything.

Hell, I'll use a command line if it comes to it.
  • Here you go, Mod: http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnuwin32/ you'll want diffutils, I think. There's probably easier things to use with GUIs and everything, but I'm sure you can Google just as well as me.

Boris, I mainly use Symfony at the moment, so would probably run Sass on the server, via Assetic. I'm not sure Hammer would offer me much in this environment, but it looks interesting so will check it out, thanks.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Cheers. I did manage to Bing that earlier but was secretly hoping someone might know a GUI option because I was coming up blank. Guess that'll have to do.
  • I hope this works, 'cause I'm totally going to be all "bow down to my superior search skills", if it is (literally got this from the first result on Google).

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/TortoiseMerge.html

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!