Pro Wrestling
  • I wish nxt was an actual proper show rather than what feels like a mish mash of matches cobbled over a few days.
  • NXT is an old school wrestling show. The storytelling is done in the ring, which is ideally where everything important happens. They don't need to have promos that tell the story: the wrestling does that.
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • XOMuggins wrote:
    NXT is an old school wrestling show. The storytelling is done in the ring, which is ideally where everything important happens. They don't need to have promos that tell the story: the wrestling does that.

But I like the promos.

For me NXT is always a reliable PPV event on  the mania weekend, but I'm never bothered to watch it for the month that I have the network. Still, it has more appeal than 205 live so that's something.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Man, it isn't just a reliable PPV, it's fucking astonishingly good. Did you see the Gargano main event? That is some Ric Flair/Steamboat level stuff right there. I could write 10,000 words about how good the Bayley/Sasha Banks feud was.
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • XOMuggins wrote:
    Man, it isn't just a reliable PPV, it's fucking astonishingly good. Did you see the Gargano main event? That is some Ric Flair/Steamboat level stuff right there. I could write 10,000 words about how good the Bayley/Sasha Banks feud was.

See the problem I have here is that Nxt is, no doubt, exceptional high on work rate. There is some stunning in ring work (almost too much for my taste). But the same can be said for NJPW, RoH, and many other indies in the US. Wrestling standards have never been higher. We're past the horrible garbage scene of the late 90s and now there are amazing matches to be found all over the internet. So while NxT keeps that standard high, it's not enough to make me take real notice. 

I agree that Johnny wrestling has huge potential as a babyface (and his opponent in that match looks proper heel) but at the same time, he could also end up being the next Paul London, especially while Vince is the gate keeper. I looked at Ricochet and thought that there was a guy who could be a top, top guy with his charisma alone but he is small and fact is, Vince doesn't go for small too often. It takes really exceptional charisma for someone to make it big in the fed while being small. Daniel Brian is one who bucked the trend but not many really hit main event level. Even Mysterio couldn't crack that (and while he was given a shit title run, I never saw him as a guy who could headline)

While we are getting huge amounts of top workers (as you said, awesome roster) we are not getting too many potential hogans, austins or rocks coming through. And I think wrestling needs that as much as the technical stuff. I know many here disagreed with me but the previous manias best match was Brock v Goldberg IMO. Only 3 moves but it was super intense and the crowd was hot. Seth Rollins could work rings around both those guys but he never gets the heat he needs to really main event. And as I said, if every fed out there has steller work, what you need to set the real stars apart is the charisma and the ability to connect not just with the very forgiving Nxt crowd (very similar to the ecw situation) but also the average fan who doesn't follow things to such a degree. Its the wrestler who grabs those fans who will be the real next big thing. Hogan had it, as did Austin. I never felt Cena managed it myself. Reigns is nowhere near that reaction (despite being a much better worker than he gets credit for)

For me the guys who I think could break out are Samoa Joe (at least as the heel who the face has to beat) Daniel Bryan (his monster video promo for mania a few years back was epic), Charlotte ( as a female undertaker in terms of just pure respect) and Braun Stromon. From Nxt, I saw a lot of great workers but not many who I think can transcend. I thought Adam Cole had huge potential, Johnny Gargona certainly deserves a push but the 2 guys who were wrestling for the nxt title were forgettable. 

To really crack the scene at the moment I think you need guys who can wrestler a good match, not necessarily 5 star all the time, but more importantly can get the fans to, just for a second, believe. And the really good ones break through the wrestling scene and become bigger still (Hogan, Austin, Savage, Rock)

IMO of course.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Brock-Goldberg was pure, utter trash. This is from a WCW guy who loves Brock.

The biggest problem the WWE have is the WWE. If someone starts to connect when it's not their pre-ordained moment, fuck you. They almost never ever run with someones natural ascent.

Braun Strowman had a very entertaining bit where he won the tag titles with a 10 year old, sure. But he should have been winning the Universal Title from Brock. The crowd recognised his hard work, how much he's really stepped up, and their car crash booking of Reigns made Strowman both sympathetic and an ultra badass. Knocking off Brock at Mania to take the title would have been the perfect finale for the show. 

But no, they were like, right, if we have Brock paste the shit out of Roman, they'll totally give him a standing ovation. No! He got silence. Silence! The ending of Wrestlemania got nothinged from the crowd! That is literally the worst reaction in wrestling.

As for NXT, it's not just a workrate show. It's a storytelling show. It's mostly told in the ring though. Watch the ending of the Unsanctioned match. 

Aleister Black is amazing. The feud with Velveteen Dream, over Black not saying his name was fantastic.
  • it does surprise me that strowman is basically invincible but hasn't had a proper title shot yet. He's also popular so why not give him the belt and then give reigns a fighting chance at getting it or for joe to slap on the clutch for a random win now and again. 

It's just a bit shit that brock barely turns up. That's not really in the fans interests. 

There's quite a few big guys on the roster and it's getting bigger. I like that it's kind turning into gladiators. 

I'd like to see Dolph turn more technical like mr perfect or ravishing rude. I'd also like to see more work off the turnbuckle but the 205 and womens divisions scratch that itch. 

Big Cass is back, thoughts?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Brock-Goldberg was pure, utter trash. This is from a WCW guy who loves Brock. The biggest problem the WWE have is the WWE. If someone starts to connect when it's not their pre-ordained moment, fuck you. They almost never ever run with someones natural ascent. Braun Strowman had a very entertaining bit where he won the tag titles with a 10 year old, sure. But he should have been winning the Universal Title from Brock. The crowd recognised his hard work, how much he's really stepped up, and their car crash booking of Reigns made Strowman both sympathetic and an ultra badass. Knocking off Brock at Mania to take the title would have been the perfect finale for the show.  But no, they were like, right, if we have Brock paste the shit out of Roman, they'll totally give him a standing ovation. No! He got silence. Silence! The ending of Wrestlemania got nothinged from the crowd! That is literally the worst reaction in wrestling. As for NXT, it's not just a workrate show. It's a storytelling show. It's mostly told in the ring though. Watch the ending of the Unsanctioned match.  Aleister Black is amazing. The feud with Velveteen Dream, over Black not saying his name was fantastic.

Couple of things.

Brock v Goldberg achieved well beyond what could have been expected. Goldberg was never that good to begin with (vs Nash and vs Stiener are the only 2 good matches he had. Theres also his five minutes in the elimination chamber but anyone made to squash that much will look good) and Lesnar was definitely into coasting mode by this point. The booking of the match was perfect, it didnt try to do a match which would never had worked and all the spots looked good. And it got a great reaction. It wasn't a top in ring match but I dont feel wrestling has to be.

As for the rest, I'd find it hard to disagree. The WWE policy of only pushing people who they want seems to be so damaging to their own business. Dolph could have been a genuine star by now (remember when he won the world belt?), Daniel Bryan could have had a full year at the headline point before his injury, Bray Wyatt was over like rover as a face and they just would not turn him. We could go on. Instead we have got 4-5 years of face reigns when clearly they fans would love to see a full heel version (which at some point would allow him to naturaly turn into a top face a-la Rock, Austin and Punk. How do they not see this??)

I'll admit I don't watch enough Nxt to make a fair critique of it, but while I enjoy the specials I'm never pushed to even follow the other stuff. And while the performers are excellent, I'm not a fan off the constant 20-30 minute matches where every move is used. I think you can do those matches once in a blue moon, otherwise it just seems stupid that the 2 guys who wrestled 30 minutes and took every type of finisher end up losing to anyone else in matches shorter. But like I say, maybe I just dont watch it enough.

Onto WWE main stuff. Big Cass is probably going to be a prime example of what you were saying Dante. Ok talent who the company probably loves and will push to the moon despite the there being better performers available. I've yet to be impressed by him, on the mic or in ring. He suffers similar to Baron Corban - a big guy who doesnt come across as big.

Final thoughts on the greatest rumble - I think it's actually terrible that they agreed to do a no woman card as a ppv. I know that its not the WWE that makes the law but I dont care. They could have done this stadium show anywhere in europe if they wanted. The 2 best matches at mania this year involved women and its a huge finger to the performers who have pushed themselves to get womens wrestling over.
    SFV - reddave360
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    Final thoughts on the greatest rumble - I think it's actually terrible that they agreed to do a no woman card as a ppv. I know that its not the WWE that makes the law but I dont care. They could have done this stadium show anywhere in europe if they wanted. The 2 best matches at mania this year involved women and its a huge finger to the performers who have pushed themselves to get womens wrestling over.
    Aye, it both farcical and shameful. All about bending over and taking the Saudi money this one. 

Entire card has clearly been bought and paid for. Expect any title upsets to be instantly reset at Raw/Smackdown days later.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Agreed on the Saudi Arabia thing. It's shameful that they would allow a show where the amazing women, especially Bayley, Sasha Banks, Charlotte and Becky Lynch, aren't given a chance to perform. The lesson is, female wrestlers are equal, unless it gets in the way of WWE's business interests. Absolutely stupid and contemptible.
  • Terrible decision when you consider the women's matches have been head and shoulders the best things on all the pay per views in the last year or so.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • g.man wrote:
    Terrible decision when you consider the women's matches have been head and shoulders the best things on all the pay per views in the last year or so.
    Yep, and quite possibly for even longer than that. Sasha Banks vs Bayley Ironman match is pretty much my favourite of all time. There was so much emotion and meaning, up there with HBK vs Flair, for me.
  • "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • Ironman match you say?

#timesup XOMuggins!
    SFV - reddave360
  • WWE ummed and ahhed about what to call it, and went with Ironman in the end so there is no differentiation.
  • WWE ummed and ahhed about what to call it, and went with Ironman in the end so there is no differentiation.

Really? Well fair enough so. Seems an easy fix - iron woman match.

SFV - reddave360
  • That's what they called it, so that's what I called it.
  • XOMuggins wrote:
    That's what they called it, so that's what I called it.

And you were right.

SFV - reddave360
  • Saudi Arabia "sorry" for promotional footage of women wrestlers.

This is some serious bullshit right here. They signed a 10 year deal apparently, worth 200 million, so this backwards bullshit will be continuing for a long time.
  • Apparently Sami Zayn wasn't in the rumble because he's of Syrian descent... seriously. This is some fucked up shit.
  • Yea it really felt like a sellout. I was explaining it to my gf and she was shocked.

Liked who won it but also lots of Random’s in the rumble.

Roman vs brock ended suitably.

Glad they’re pushing bray and the women one.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • this thread needs more titus falling meme's :D
  • Felt very bad for Samoa Joe last night. The fans really have turned on the reigns face push and it killed their match at backlash. Crowd was leaving during the main event. Reigns as a suited bad guy could be such a killer heel.

On the plus side Rollins and mix had an excellent match. AJ vs nakamura was good but like the mania match felt like they were holding back and I'm not a fan of the double ko finish unless you have a massive high spit or it's an epic long match. This was neither.
    SFV - reddave360
  • why was the crowd leaving during reigns and joe? 

Pleased for Carmella. 

Strowman is gonna be in a ladder match :) jeepers! 

I've signed up to the WWE network. I'm going right back to the beginning and will watch the PPV's year by year. Currently half way through WM1. Not sure if i've actually seen this before. Some of it is hilarious. Gorilla did pre-recorded interviews. One person is slagging off the other, is literally still in shot as they're walking off when the guy they were slagging off walks in as if they've not seen them and as if they don't know where they are and does their promo lol. 

Also amazing how close everyone is to the edge of the ring. At what point are the crowd pushed back a couple of meters? 

Favourite quote so far is by Jesse the body Ventura. The Mouth of the South is on the apron and JYD grabs hold of him. Jesse says "Jimmy weighs, what? 140lbs.. with a wet tux (tuxido), he must've been scared for his life" :) 

Also alot more moves in this, atomic drops, back body drops bulldogs. How come they don't use these moves anymore? 

Also "solar plexus" lol, why do commentators never say that anymore. Just abdomen?
  • I don't watch the new stuff, not since around 2000 but I do like watching the old stuff from time to time like late 80's early 90's. A Scott Hall documentary popped up in my you tube feed the other day. A good watch but its saddening to see what happens to these guys when they're not on top of the world. Razor Ramon was one of my favourites. I'll post a link if anyone's interested in seeing it.
  • Is it the ESPN one?
  • I don't know Dante, it may have been. I'll dig it out and post it.
  • mk64 wrote:
    why was the crowd leaving during reigns and joe? 

Pleased for Carmella. 

Strowman is gonna be in a ladder match :) jeepers! 

I've signed up to the WWE network. I'm going right back to the beginning and will watch the PPV's year by year. Currently half way through WM1. Not sure if i've actually seen this before. Some of it is hilarious. Gorilla did pre-recorded interviews. One person is slagging off the other, is literally still in shot as they're walking off when the guy they were slagging off walks in as if they've not seen them and as if they don't know where they are and does their promo lol. 

Also amazing how close everyone is to the edge of the ring. At what point are the crowd pushed back a couple of meters? 

Favourite quote so far is by Jesse the body Ventura. The Mouth of the South is on the apron and JYD grabs hold of him. Jesse says "Jimmy weighs, what? 140lbs.. with a wet tux (tuxido), he must've been scared for his life" :) 

Also alot more moves in this, atomic drops, back body drops bulldogs. How come they don't use these moves anymore? 

Also "solar plexus" lol, why do commentators never say that anymore. Just abdomen?

The reigns thing is seen to be a protest over his continued push as a face. I feel bad for the guy, I think he's a good talent but the company is just not paying attention to the reaction.

As for early ppv, be warned some are very hard to watch (mania 4 is the worst for me,) but on the plus side Jessie Ventura is pure gold during his run as colour. Genuine classic stuff. My own favourite is from a match between Rick rude and steamboat. Something like "look how great rick rude is, he reminds me of me"

What's great about Ventura is that while he is always pro heel , he always backs it up with logic. He was so consistent and quick
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yes Dante, it was the ESPN one.

It's only 18 minutes long.

https://youtu.be/LrkwttaNkiQ

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!