Pro Wrestling
  • why do you find them so hard to watch? What was it about WM4 you don't like so much? 

I can't wait to watch the old summer slams and survivor series. Also looking forward to see much of the deadman :) 

Real shame I can't download on app like I can with netflix.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • WrestleMania 4 is fucking awful. It's got a tournament for the title, which means we have 16 fucking matches.
  • WrestleMania 4 is fucking awful. It's got a tournament for the title, which means we have 16 fucking matches.

Yeah, but also none of the matches are given time to reach their potential. Savage vs steamboat 2 should also have been part of the tourney but steamboat was in the bad books.

I'm not a massive work rate fan but mania 4 had the problem of low work rate and lack of the characters that compensate for that. Also the trump plaza is a horrible shithole.

Regarding other ppvs, some have definitely aged better than others and stand up as great viewing regardless of the nostalgia boost. But some are hard slots with characters who weren't so good at the promo or the in ring.

What is awesome from about mania 4 up to mania mania 7 is how hot some of the crowds are - popping huge for the babyfaces. It's a great time overall.

SFV - reddave360
  • It wasn't technically in Trump Plaza - they promoted it as that but it was actually at another stadium. They kept calling it Trump Plaza because Trump sponsored the event.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • mk64 wrote:
    It wasn't technically in Trump Plaza - they promoted it as that but it was actually at another stadium. They kept calling it Trump Plaza because Trump sponsored the event.

Yeah, same with mania 9 being a parking lot, not actually ceasers palace. Either way, 4 (and 5 the next year look shit compared to 3 and 6 (Genuine huge shows) and even 7 looks way better despite being a smaller crowd.

Back to 4 being shit , most wrestlemania have at least one good to great match which holds up today. Not sure about mania 1 (i like the main event for sheer spectacle) but 2 has Bundy v Hogan, 3 has steamboat v savage, 5 has Hogan v savage, 6 has warrior v Hogan, 7 has warrior v savage and 8 has either flair v savage or piper v Hart. I can't think of a good to great on 9 and that ends the Hogan era. 9 being the other mania up there for the title of worst. 4 has, to my mind, no match worth a re watch.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Nothing really yet. The tag team with hogan carries because of mr t but it’s a bit damp at the end.
  • For me mania 1 is all about piper. His facials and crowd interaction are top rate, it's still very real to him dammit.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yeah, Piper is the one who makes that all work. He's astonishingly good at selling a match.
  • Piper after mania 4... ish.. has his moments but full heel piper for the Hogan/mtv/Mr t. Is amazing stuff.

Although his Hart feud is ggghhreat stuff. Possibly his best in ring match (whatever about outside the Fed, he was never that good at the in ring stuff) but his promos are also excellent as the so close to heel but still face. The 'didn't matter' promo is 5 star
    SFV - reddave360
  • greg the hammer is better in mania 1 vs later on 

he's practically foaming at the mouth
  • I love moolahs interview from mania 1. It's so so so bad that I can't not watch it in full. Full on red neck.
    SFV - reddave360
  • gorilla vs macho in WM2 is great :)
  • That's not gorilla, that's george 'the animal's Steele.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Sorry yes it is. I was hungover when when I wrote that.

I’ve only ever seen the animal in two matches. That was the third. He was entertaining.
  • The Mr T and RRP boxing match is great!
  • Raw commentary this week was brilliant. Especially during the woken match. Had me cracking up.
  • some parts of WM4 are terrible. Segment of Jesse posing?! lol

Commentary is brilliant though

Love henan winning against the bulldogs in his dog suit thing
  • reverse knife edge

in the bread basket

also what happened to back breakers, shoulder breakers, back body drops, sleeper holds, atomic drops
  • Several wrestlers still use variations of back breakers. Titus O'Neil, Alexa Bliss and Baron Corbin off the top of my head.

I can't think of many who use the shoulder breaker these days, but Nia Jax does. Jack Swagger did it as well. I'd love Brock to break it out again, but that ain't happening.

Back body drops these days tend to be used more to throw someone over the ropes rather than the bumps Ric Flair would take. Thinking about it, it's a common announce table reversal as well. But Cesaro, Sheamus, Kane, and Big E use it, Bubba Ray did on his last run, and Edge would regularly employ it.

Dolph uses the sleeper, and Joe's Coquina Clutch is a variant. Other than that I think it's a sparsely used rest hold.

Can't think of any normal Atomic Drops. Mostly we get inverted versions. Goldust, Sami Zayne and Johnny Gargano use them. Jeff Hardy does an inverted Atomic Drop followed by a double leg drop. Adam Rose did one with theatrics, and one that he followed up with a swinging neckbreaker. The Club do a move where Luke Gallows plants his knee and Karl Anderson slams them down for a normal Atomic Drop.
  • I may be wrong but rocky mavias first finisher was a running shoulder breaker.
    SFV - reddave360
  • AJ is using a backbreaker type move thinking more about it. 

And yea the back body drop is used on the announce table. 

Like how AJ uses Harts running into the turnbuckle forwards. he does that every single match back in the day.
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    I may be wrong but rocky mavias first finisher was a running shoulder breaker.

Aye:

• Re: Raw
    Spoiler:
  • Not surprised dante. They've already wasted the build up and heat from the aska/ Charlotte match.

Fuck this company.
    SFV - reddave360
  • they're desperate to keep storylines moving quickly in the womens division. 

Not finished raw yet but looking forward to it. Saw stefanie say she was gonna do the signing. 

The sasha banks promo's seem a bit weak right now. Only real interest i've got is rousey beating the hell out of everyone and mella making money (baby!) $$$$$$$
  • Gorilla - "holy mackrel"

It's so interesting to see wrestlers back in the day. Used to be a bit more impact then imo. 

Just watched rumble 89. I'm watching all the WWF/WWE PPV's in order. Some of the matches are boring as fuck though. Lots more "wear down moves"/holds. Macho really got the crowd going in those early years and as soon as hogan shows up the place goes nuts "its deafening in here Jesse".

Jesse and the gorilla are a brilliant double act too. "Would you stop!" lol
  • Money in the Bank motherfuckers. Who's gonna bring home the briefcase?
  • I thought MITB was pretty fucking awesome. 

How can Strowman cash in though when Brock never fights??
  • I wasn't that impressed to be honest.
  • mk64 wrote:
    I thought MITB was pretty fucking awesome. 

How can Strowman cash in though when Brock never fights??

Maybe they want to switch him to smackdown?

Or are the cases show specific?
    SFV - reddave360

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!