Pro Wrestling
  • does vince watch each show live and direct accordingly?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Raw, Smackdown and PPV's yes.
  • Doesn't he also give them stock phrases and keywords (as well as a list of no-no words ) so many of the commentators sound generic.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yes. Like The World Cup to determine the best in the world, or It's the one night of the year where Smackdown and Raw go head to head, which make you want to stab your ears.
  • The world cup, i'd forgotten about that. That was a disaster.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Fuck, did anyone hear about the mexican wrestling match where one guy threw a REAL cinder bock on the other guys head and nearly killed him. Sounds absolutely horrific. The victim was outside the ring looking for weapons under the ring and the guy lobed a cinder block (unseen from what I've heard) onto the back of his head.
    SFV - reddave360
  • How many times will the bar face the new day?!

They must’ve had forty matches in the last two years at least.
  • Its the new Miz-Ziggler.
  • The new new ziggler Rollins.

Quite recently I’ve decided that the brand split is rubbish.

It does have the benefit of isolating uniform meatheads to one show but it creates boring stuff week on week. Becky and Charlotte is such a weird perpetual dance, and undermines the fact that being a champion implies some level of sports is part of the show
  • The brand split isn't the cause of that. The terrible writing is.
  • Randy Orton is so fucking boring. I bet he used to be amazing.
  • Wrestle mania 9 is a shambles. Awful wrestle mania.
  • Defo one of the worst. At least you have 2 killer matched in ten. If memory serves me, 11 is dopey too. And 12 has the awful iron man match.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Maybe just jump to 13 with Austin and Bret...
    SFV - reddave360
  • Wait, you think the Michaels - Hart iron man match is awful??? Its an absolute masterpiece.
  • Wait, you think the Michaels - Hart iron man match is awful??? Its an absolute masterpiece.

I would not be giving it two thumbs up. It's passable I suppose but passable stretched over an hour is not great. There are some good spots but overall the pace is too slow for Michaels to shine and with no inventive finishes to play with (just 1 pinball ffs) means brets inventiveness is curtailed. The last 20 minutes are ok, the final 3 minutes are great. Solid meh.

SFV - reddave360
  • Yea. And the rest of it is turd.

Has just occurred to me that the World Cup is basically king of the ring. Watching the first one now.

Time limits on matches :)

Also I’m not a fan of savage as a commentator. Gorilla and henan are like ant and dec “will you stop!” :)
  • I really liked the first king of the ring. I loved how each of brets matches have a different story and finish. I can't really think of another king of the ring tournament that was any good (although plenty of good king of the ring ppv s, just not the tournament's themselves)
    SFV - reddave360
  • yes, brett doesn't do the backbreaker/neckbreaker/elbow drop/leg drop/somehow sharp shooter against razor.
  • Raw was pretty drab this week but Corbin really let loose once he'd smashed up balor? when he went "boom!" 

Is strowman legit injured?
  • Finished King Of the Ring, it was pretty good in the end. Hart was superb and I liked Perfect shaking his hand. 

I can't say i'm a fan of savage as a commentator and he seemed to be stealing some of the limelight going up to congratulate hart - didn't feel real but could've been I suppose. 

Not sure I like Jim Ross's style of commentary either. It reminds me of someone commentating on horse racing. Henan is amazing, every time. So good. 

So does Bam Bam disappear off the face of the earth now? 

Also I never really realised that IRS had such a long career with so many ppv's. I remembered him in a few singles matches but didn't realise he featured so much in Money Inc.
  • New Daniel Bryan: Yop or Nop?

I am: Yop.
  • Yup, only because I find it so stupid to see him wrestling as a face and to think he would stand a chance against someone like Brawn/Lashley/Joe/Drew
  • Dynamite Kid died.

Was apparently an absolute cunt.

Pioneer of pro-wrestling though. His body of work in his prime (early 80's) still stands up today.
  • I never appreciated the guy fully until I saw some of his Japan stuff (and I'm not a huge Japan wrestling fan). His wwf run has some solid work but the Japanese stuff is really ahead of its time.

I too have read in several books that he was quite the prick before his major industry and so sympathy for him was in short supply.
    SFV - reddave360
  • can you guys recommend some good wrestling books? I might ask for some for christmas
  • Mick Foley

Have a Nice Day: A Tale of Blood and Sweatsocks (covers him growing up, training to become a wrestler, ending with the WWF title win.)
    Foley Is Good: And the Real World Is Faker than Wrestling (Covers the end of his career, up to WM 2000)
    The Hardcore Diaries (Leads up to One Night Stand in 2006, written in a diary format.)
    Countdown to Lockdown: A Hardcore Journal (Unlike the other books, this covers TNA, specifically a Steel cage match with Sting. However, it's got a lot about his life outside wrestling)
  • I'd have to say no to those last two Foley books, really weren't to my taste. The first one is a definite must-read. Also liked Foley is good but I know a few weren't as keen.

I'd give thumbs up to ric flair "to be the man" and Eric bischoffs "controversy creates cash" as being trashy but fun and they cover a lot of non-wwe which I like.

I've read two of the Jericho books and I like them but similar to Foley 2nd,3rd and 4th book they meander outside of what I really want to read about.

Fin martin did a nice history of powerslam magazine. It's on kindle and not too expensive. Not so much a great read and ex-editor /writer/ publisher Martin had bitter moments but it covers a large timeline and several companies.

Bret Harts book is epic and while it needs some stomach to get over how much Bret is into himself, it's a very good read and covers so much in terms of topics.

Bryan Alvarezs death of wcw is a bit over rated , I found it too opinionated and lacking depthbut it is a good read.

Can't think of many others that really grabbed me.

If you only get one, get the first Foley book, it's great.
    SFV - reddave360

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!