Pro Wrestling
  • Shane still has the no chance in hell intro music. When does he change to money money money?

New age outlaw match was good.

Al snow vs hardcore holly is repetitive though.

Also what does everyone think of Val Venis?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Rhymes with penis.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I am indifferent to Mr Val Venis
  • I thought Val was an alright wrestler, with a great look and a terrible gimmick. Val Venis is fine for a mid card but it will only ever be a mid-card (look how ricky rude got stuck in the upper mid card) and Venis was no Rick Rude.

I think they could have done better with him, I think he did as well as he could with the gimmick.
    SFV - reddave360
  • He became one of the core members of Right to Censor with The Godfather. Which was a decent way of cleansing some of the more grubby Attitude era stars.
  • Regarding Shane's theme music. Dante will remember better I am sure but I think Shane "left" to buy WCW before the merger and that was the point he adopted Money Money Money as he had a rivalry with Vince and the WWF in general.
  • It’s a disgrace rick rude was never a full main event et.
  • I think he did main event wcw for a while. But his brief top line feud with warrior went nowhere. I think the rumour was hogan wouldn't even step in the ring with him because he had a reputationof being a bit of a stiff bastard (also a genuine hard man by all accounts)
    SFV - reddave360
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Regarding Shane's theme music. Dante will remember better I am sure but I think Shane "left" to buy WCW before the merger and that was the point he adopted Money Money Money as he had a rivalry with Vince and the WWF in general.

AFAIK the first time it was used was the match with Show where he jumps off the tron.
  • Great stuff this...

• Agree, great video.  His wrestling stuff has all been quality.

Despite being a big Asuka fan I've never really looked into joshi wrestling, going from that video might need to give it a go. 

Also only caught the last match of Summer Slam (Fiend V Strowman), thought it was pretty ordinary but did like that shenanigans after the match.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • I thought Summerslam was poor overall. Most of the matches flat out bored me (even the ones that looked promising on paper). I thought Orton v McIntyre was great once it got going, but like you say Fiend v Strowman was so pedestrian I actually fell asleep during it, then woke up for the stuff at the end which was enjoyable.
    The Thunderdome is a good step up from the performance centre visually, but to me, the amount of money they must have sunk into that suggests they don't think they're getting the crowds back in anytime soon.
  • I mostly enjoyed Summerslam. I didn't like the post match shennanigans stuff because that feud absolutely didn't need someone else being thrown into it, and especially not who they have.

I felt a few matches over the weeked just sort of ended, taking the shine off otherwise decent matches.
  • Yeah, I enjoyed the shenanigans, but that was the wrong feud to crowbar it into.
  • Some interesting matches but also some waffle. Surprised how much I miss ziggler.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Shouldn't be a surprise, he's great entertainment.

So obvioulsy he's on Raw Underground.
  • Anyone watch Payback last night then?
    Every once in a blue moon WWE gets it's PPV bang on, and for my money this was one of those rare occasions. Thoroughly enjoyed it, so I did.
  • For the most part. The main event was an absolute trashfire which further confirmed that the WWE absolutely do not understand what they have with The Fiend. Every other match was solid at worst, and Keith Lee was made to look like such a superstar it's almost exciting trying to predict what they will do to waste him.
  • Ah, the main event was...fine. Anyhoo, on the other hand, the women's tag-team match was just incredible.
  • Main event:
    Spoiler:
  • Yup. That works for me :D
  • Main event:
    Spoiler:

Well, I'm glad I dont follow it anymore.

Re: The Fiend - I think he'd be a great comic or film villain but I think he put me off the whole thing.
    SFV - reddave360
  • I like The Fiend, but he's potentially problematic because if you give him the belt, then where do you go from there? If he's an unstoppable supernatural force, then who is going to best him? How does it keep his narrative interesting.
    With regards to last night's main event at Payback...
    Spoiler:
  • If you use him right ie not as just another wrestler he should be great. The problem is that whilst Bray and the designer are on the exact same wavelength, the writers and bookers haven't got a fucking clue. The Fiend (and Bray himself tbh) work best on long term planning with callbacks. Few wrestlers build a mythology. Vince has been presented with the god damn Undertaker 2, but because he personally doesn't understand the appeal he fucks it off if it's not instant fucking millions. It's infuriating.

As said though, the womens tag match was absolutely stellar. Shayna Bazler has become a wrestler, as weird as it sounds. Her and Nia's "original odd couple" gimmick looks like it's gold to me, and Bayley and Sasha continue to prove that they're two of the best in the world.
  • Yup, and Nia using Sasha literally as a fly swatter against the ring barrier was an incredible site. Legit feared for her safety on that move.
  • g.man wrote:
    I like The Fiend, but he's potentially problematic because if you give him the belt, then where do you go from there? If he's an unstoppable supernatural force, then who is going to best him? How does it keep his narrative interesting. With regards to last night's main event at Payback...
    Spoiler:

Given that you were bringing Roman back the answer is you... don't give it to him. But since they did:
    Spoiler:
  • Yeah, that's absolutely fair enough, but I guess maybe they don't want to go too far down that road because that sort of thing becomes hard to pull off elegantly once the crowds are allowed back in.
    You are right though Vince is an absolute dick, and he doesn't get The Fiend. It could be a long term license to print money, but he'll just piss it down the drain the way he always does.
  • If you use him right ie not as just another wrestler he should be great. The problem is that whilst Bray and the designer are on the exact same wavelength, the writers and bookers haven't got a fucking clue. The Fiend (and Bray himself tbh) work best on long term planning with callbacks. Few wrestlers build a mythology. Vince has been presented with the god damn Undertaker 2, but because he personally doesn't understand the appeal he fucks it off if it's not instant fucking millions. It's infuriating. As said though, the womens tag match was absolutely stellar. Shayna Bazler has become a wrestler, as weird as it sounds. Her and Nia's "original odd couple" gimmick looks like it's gold to me, and Bayley and Sasha continue to prove that they're two of the best in the world.

I get the Taker 2 thing. But Taker wasnt as OTT as Fiend from what I've seen. 

Just a thing though - in your spoiler you said they could use the Fiends ability to teleport as a thing? Like thats a reasonable thing? That shit just doesnt work for me in wrestling. Wrestling for me works best if its larger than life but still grounded somewhat. I never really liked when they went too off the wall with undertaker back in the day and it really doesnt appeal to me with the Fiend. Just a personal thing, but I dont think the Fiend would bring me back to the WWE at the moment. 

I love the idea that Bray has gone insane and believes that being the Fiend makes him immortal or something but I dont think bringing actually fantasy elements into wrestling works. Its a bit the same with Finn Balor. If its part of the wrestlers way of psyching themselves up, it makes sense. If it actually means they've become a kind of superhero or villain though... nah.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Aye, there’s a real fine line with these things really.
  • Its still real to me dammit.
    SFV - reddave360

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!