Functioning like a professional for nothing. What do you recommend?
  • We use Notes.

I long for the day we switch to a proper decent webmail system. Blahblahsecurityblah
  • Kudos to google for finally getting Inbox really right. Open for business/orgs from 15th too. Cleanest my inbox has been in forever.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Silly thing but is there a certain amount of risk to using Google for professional stuff. I'm a huge Google user but I do worry that all the stuff that is free as a single entity might suddenly become very expensive were I too start actually making money using their products
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Don't think so. helping Hoops have been using gmail/google for everything for 6 years. It's still near enough free/uber cheap.
  • That's because they're a charity. Google give all kinds of free shit to charities.
  • True. I briefly looked at the business stuff a while back, it seemed fairly cheap/free if the team was small anyway.

I only mentioned the inbox thing as I've grown so used to it with my personal email that it was annoying me not to be able to switch with my hh email.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Tbh, for business emails, Google (or Outlook 365) is probably your best bet, and worth paying for.
    Performance is crucial. I recently set up a private email server on a free MX (mail exchange) offered by an 'ACME' brand web hosting company. 

It ran like trash, and the test emails took anywhere between 5 minutes to 2 hours to reach the recipient's inbox.

Emails get fucked by two things. The first is the hardware the MX is based on, and it's load. If there's very little hardware, and a lot of traffic going through the exchange, it will run like soggy treacle.

The second issue is modern spam prevention. Your average hotmail.com email client (Live, or wtf Microsoft call it) has a very sophisticated anti spam AI system and firewall guarding it. The first thing the firewall/spam filter does, is check for any mail coming from an uncommon exchange, and treat it like a single man at the front door of a crap night club... If you're sharing that exchange with a complete badger, then you'll suffer for their reputation.

This however, is not as much of a bottleneck as the first point.

With a Google exchange though you mitigate both those problems. They have the hardware to deal with spikes in demand, and the domain is trusted by everyone, because they have the resources to deal with you swiftly should you prove to be a premier league spam artist.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Bump.

Been using slack for basketball club. It's great. Not free after a certain point though.

As mentioned in pc thread, picked up fences cheap on steam. Looking at all stardock's stuff now. It looks amaze balls for making windows better.
  • Picked up pack. Bunch of aesthetic changes, but fences and groupy are legit awesome.
  • Aye, I've been using Fences to keep my work desktop organised for years. One of my colleagues has 2 x 2K monitors and both desktops are absolutely full of icons. It pains me to see.
  • Came across Notion. Kinda weird and awesome and I'm not sure what it's for because it seems so flexible and blah for a workspace that I'm lost.
  • Oh, so more playing and I think this might win.
  • My previous job was all google business apps. I really miss it :(

So easy to admin, loads of options easy to implement, barely any issues. The only thing was that they only wanted to pay for 20gb per user, as unlimited storage was double the cost. So lots of people wanting extra storage/help deleting files and emails etc.

Google drive was a godsend as well.

What was nice was that it allowed me (an IT team of basically just me) to manage everything for all 150 accounts.
  • For practical group stuff slack is still winning.

Been really good for getting coaches together and on the same page, likewise committee stuff. Still need time to show people how to use some stuff.
  • Google are doing some good stuff. Some cool changes to calendar.

https://youtu.be/5qwCqf25P68

A strange sub genre of YouTube.

Part of me loves these apps and mucking around and organising, part of me has Nathan j Robinson in my ear going oh the humanity.

I don't like his time frame of 10 years for 1 app to rule them all though....
  • Hitting busy admin time of year for Bball, try outs and all manner of stuff.

Slack is really winning.

For pro formas for new coaches and following up and making stuff easy to find its being amazing.

Very recommended now.

Rolling with 2 work spaces, one with 7 people and one with 21 and counting. So it's getting a good workout.
  • And it got through tryouts. Multi workspaces is a bit annoying. In hindsight, I'd aim for one with private channels for seperate things if needed, but try outs and ten rego admin and feedback forms and all manner of stuff handled by a team of vols all remotely.

Kudos to slack.
  • Heh, so apparently I'm here for the annual slack update.

Its good. Through 2019 tryouts. Have consolidated into one slack (well, 1 main and 1 I barely need to check) and locked channels and less of them. From 13 teams to 20 and it's working even better.

Came to post about Gmail add ons. I'll be back.
  • Anyhoo, so since Google decided to zap inbox and force folks to use Gmail I've returned to sortd. Or at least I had. It has some great ideas, but when I went to see what was in paid version the interface was a dog's breakfast and I couldn't work it out. Also, it's effectively just a skin, so all the neat organising you do disappears any time you wave the sortd version and go into Gmail. (also, no andriod version that's useful.)

That led me to try drag. Which is a similar thing. Both effectively try and do trello boards. Drag was kinda nice too, but suffers from same issue. All the filing you do in drag doesn't necessarily move stuff in Gmail.

That led me to then do a revisit of boomerang. And I think this is the answer. Inbox was basically Google's answer to some boomerang functionality as far as I know, and it's improved a lot since I last used it.

I cleaned up. A bunch of old folders and noticed that boomerangs andriod app is proper good..

Suddenly I'm back to a clean inbox.

Win.

Anyone else using other stuff? Or found same apps better or worse.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!