Science, it definitely still works bitches.
  • https://twitter.com/mccormick_ted/status/1182882007849807873?s=09

Pinker poo pooing history of science is quite a sight. Not enough Picard face palm pics to cover it.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • https://twitter.com/CathrynTownsend/status/1184444348936708098?s=09

Didn't know about the Stanford prison experiment being dodge. Interesting.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I've probably asked this before, but could someone please explain to my how, if the universe is expanding, and galaxies are moving away from each other, how is it that the milky-way and andromida are due to collide?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Because the expansion isn't totally uniform, basically, I guess? There's still relevant movement within.
  • There are galaxy clusters, so I would guess that there are gravitational pulls within those.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Depends on the scale you are looking at?

Two galaxies colliding at a sufficient scale would just be a wobble.

No idea to be honest.

If we are to ever leave this galaxy we need to find a very clever way of finding shortcuts, that's for certain.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    To be fair, there is far too much to explore in this galaxy for us ever to need to leave. Maybe when the machines are sentient they will head out on our behalf.
  • I've probably asked this before, but could someone please explain to my how, if the universe is expanding, and galaxies are moving away from each other, how is it that the milky-way and andromida are due to collide?

The same way that asteroids and meteors hit the planets in the solar system. The same reason apples hit the ground when they fall off a tree rather than getting further away from Earth due to the universe expanding.

Local movement is more significant on small (and even very large - to us) scales.

But overall, on the biggest distance scales (bigger than galaxy superclusters), expansion wins out.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Also, the article has an excellent explanation of the magnitudes involved with the Hubble "constant"
    A Hubble constant of 70 would mean that the universe is expanding at a rate of 70 kilometres per second per megaparsec. To understand what this means, you must first appreciate that a parsec is a measure of astronomical distance and that a megaparsec is the equivalent of a million parsecs. In turn there are 3.3 light years to a parsec, so a megaparsec is the equivalent of 3.3m light years. Thus for each 3.3m light years that a galaxy is distant from us, it will move an extra 70 kilometres (43.5 miles) per second faster from us, as a result of the expansion of the universe.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • It's important to note cosmologists think they're doing well if within a magnitude of 10.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Cleverest but wrongest people ever. It's not an easy life.
  • hey now! its still more accurate than economics

(cosmologists can at least decide between a + or - before the magnitude.
  • https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/11/23/have-scientists-discovered-fifth-force-nature/

A fifth force of natured could have been discovered after scientists carried out a "Nobel-prize worthy" experiment which could revolutionise our understanding of the world.

Physics centres on the theory that four forces control our universe - gravity, electromagnetism, the weak nuclear force, and the strong force.

But scientists from Hungary have published groundbreaking findings which show what appears to be a fifth force at work......
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Hmm
  • Research funded by Disney+.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Midichlorians discovered in Hungary, confirmed.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Well, we've done it. We've killed the koala.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/11/23/have-scientists-discovered-fifth-force-nature/ A fifth force of natured could have been discovered after scientists carried out a "Nobel-prize worthy" experiment which could revolutionise our understanding of the world. 

Physics centres on the theory that four forces control our universe - gravity, electromagnetism, the weak nuclear force, and the strong force. 

But scientists from Hungary have published groundbreaking findings which show what appears to be a fifth force at work......

ogG97bO.gif

YpUVflQ.gif

pUTRQZu.gif
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • This is a fun read:

http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~kovar/hall.html

Totally reminds me of labs in 1st year physics before I was able to opt-out and just do theoretical stuff. The equipment was terrible and I nearly got in trouble once because my results were too good (I had made them up to be fair, but I wasn’t going to admit that).
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • http://journal.sjdm.org/19/190712/jdm190712.html
    We discuss the potential for these results to be integrated into a larger, new theoretical framework of bullshit as a low-cost strategy for gaining advantages in prestige awarding domains.
    1.2 Bullshit as a Low-Cost Strategy
    For many domains in which humans compete for prestige, status, or material goods, the criteria for determining who succeeds and fails at least partially rely on impressing others. In these domains, bullshit may be deployed as a low-cost strategy for gaining prestige. An agent working towards being successful in a domain, can engage in the long and arduous process of acquiring expert skills and knowledge that they could then leverage to accomplish certain goals. Alternatively, an agent could engage in a less effortful process that produces similar benefits (i.e., impressing others with bullshit). These two strategies need not be mutually exclusive. A person with impressive skills and competence could potentially use bullshit to enhance their outcomes, and as such, yield more success compared to equally skilled peers who are either unwilling or unable to bullshit well.

The extent to which bullshit can be deployed as an effective low-cost strategy for success may greatly vary by domain. First, bullshit is less likely to be effective in domains in which success is objectively judged, and thus, impressing others is not required. For example, in athletic competitions focused on speed (e.g., 100m race), endurance (e.g., a marathon), or strength (e.g., powerlifting), the ability to impress others with bullshit should be a) difficult and b) of little value, as one’s degree of competence in these competitions can be easily and objectively measured. Nevertheless, in many domains, success can be obtained, or at least enhanced, by impressing others. For example, in artistic endeavors such as music, poetry, or art, technical skills are unlikely to be the sole determiner of success. What is likely to be equally important is the ability to impress others by making one’s artwork appear unique, profound, and meaningful (Miller, 2001). A quick and efficient way to impress others in this manner is with claims that imply, yet do not contain, any specifically interpretable truth or meaning (i.e., with bullshit). Of course, “bullshit” in this context need not carry any negative connotation. If the goal of a piece of art is to inspire the feeling of profoundness in its viewers, whether this feeling originates from the art itself or is created by the viewer is of no consequence. Such situations may be contrasted with circumstances in which truth, rather than pleasure or profoundness, is a primary goal (e.g., science or medicine), where the use of bullshit to gain advantages is antithetical to the primary purpose of the discipline.

1.3 “Bullshit” in Science
    While we may wish to believe that bullshit is ineffective in more objectively judged domains (e.g., science), where truth is of primary importance, a growing body of research hints that even here bullshitting may offer a competitive advantage. For example, Eriksson (2012) demonstrated that the inclusion of irrelevant (and nonsensical in context) math formulae in the abstracts of scientific papers caused graduate-degree holders in education, the humanities, and other non-mathematics fields to rate these scientific papers as higher in quality. Similarly, Weisberg, Keil, Goodstein, Rawson, and Gray (2008) found that including irrelevant neuroscience explanations for psychological phenomena caused readers to judge these explanations as more satisfying compared to when the same explanation was given without irrelevant neuroscience information. Notably, this difference was especially pronounced when an initial explanation was of poor quality. In both instances, these empirical findings highlight how the inclusion of seemingly impressive language that was irrelevant to the truth-value of a scientific claim improved readers’ reception of the work. While it can be debated whether these two instances qualify as “bullshit” technically, these cases do highlight how the goal of scientific communication can become less about strictly communicating true knowledge about the universe and more about impressing an audience.
    These predictions are not intended to be taken as a value judgment on the quality of modern art, nor a dismissal of the subjectively derived meaning formed when exposed to such pieces. If anything, the production of good and satisfying “bullshit” (i.e., statements meant to be impressive regardless of truth) may simply be part of the artistic process as much as the production of a painting.

http://sebpearce.com/bullshit/

• The Daddy wrote:
    This is a fun read: http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~kovar/hall.html Totally reminds me of labs in 1st year physics before I was able to opt-out and just do theoretical stuff. The equipment was terrible and I nearly got in trouble once because my results were too good (I had made them up to be fair, but I wasn’t going to admit that).

Ha! I did that one, had to fudge it.
  • This is nice. Living concrete.

Using bacteria to ‘grow’ a concrete-like material in moulds of any shape and size you like. If you make one brick, you can cut that brick in half and use each half as a starter to grow two bricks. That works for reliably for three generations. The upshot being that you could transport less material to site, then multiply it on-site.

Full article text in spoiler tags, in case anyone wants to avoid the NYT paywall.
    Spoiler:
  • https://twitter.com/PaulGCornish/status/1235317897259626496?s=19

What a story. Pluto could have had another name, but the dude was an asshole.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    https://www.theguardian.com/science/2019/nov/20/humans-put-into-suspended-animation-for-first-time

This is crazy and has hollywood horror movie written all over it.

Dean Koontz wrote the novel 'Hideaway' that features this. The victims of trauma go into suspended animation , technically die, and bring back demons or angels from the afterlife.

He's predicting everything, it seems.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • Facewon wrote:
    https://twitter.com/PaulGCornish/status/1235317897259626496?s=19 What a story. Pluto could have had another name, but the dude was an asshole.

Tbf everyone apart from Einstein believed in the aether so that one's fine. Maybe not the rest.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!