Science, it definitely still works bitches.
  • The chemical part of attraction is to do with the release of pheromones and suchlike, not electro-magnetic energy.
    Yes, the internally generated light given off by the body is absolutely swamped by the reflected light that enables you to see that person. Utter guff.
    what's utter guff?
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • To be fair, a living body does give off many different forms of energy in varying amounts, all the time, heat being the most obvious of these.  I don't believe that any of these play any particularly significant role in our interactions with each other though.
    As I said it's speculative. 
    Not guff.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • It's a fine line, apparently. ;)
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • The chemical part of attraction is to do with the release of pheromones and suchlike, not electro-magnetic energy.
    Yes, the internally generated light given off by the body is absolutely swamped by the reflected light that enables you to see that person. Utter guff.
    what's utter guff?
    Your flaky "crystal healing chi energy psychic ether" bullshit is guff.

Really, do some reading round the areas of psychology, cognitive science, neruoscience, etc. - there's no need to posit unseen psychic energy.

These are probably a good place to start - I've linked to them many times before as they're pretty well-written and entertaining:
    http://www.psychologyofgames.com/
    http://youarenotsosmart.com/
    You will have met people that you get along with straight away, you click. You can't explain why.
    Yes, you can explain - just think more.
    I would go as far as saying this can explain why there are people you meet that you just can't stand, but don't know why.

Yes, you do know - just think more.
  • In other news, don't forget to look out for the transit of Venus later.  It's a once in a lifetime opportunity, unless you're still kicking around in 2117...
  • When I hear things like "Good/bad energy" it makes me cry a little inside. Maybe I'm just getting the "bad" stuff. I probably should buy one of those stupidly expensive crystal thingies.
  • djchump wrote:
    The chemical part of attraction is to do with the release of pheromones and suchlike, not electro-magnetic energy.
    what's utter guff?
    Your flaky "crystal healing chi energy psychic ether" bullshit is guff. Really, do some reading round the areas of psychology, cognitive science, neruoscience, etc. - there's no need to posit unseen psychic energy. These are probably a good place to start - I've linked to them many times before as they're pretty well-written and entertaining: http://www.psychologyofgames.com/ http://youarenotsosmart.com/
    You will have met people that you get along with straight away, you click. You can't explain why.
    Yes, you can explain - just think more.
    I would go as far as saying this can explain why there are people you meet that you just can't stand, but don't know why.
    Yes, you do know - just think more.

wasn't talking about any of that stuff chump. Maybe you should read what is being posted instead of what you want to read. 
    Yes, I have read about those areas even neruoscience.. 
    I wasn't talking about psychic energy either.
    In fact I never mentioned the word psychic once champ. 
    I'm not talking about good or bad energy. I was talking about basic physics. 
    But as usual you jump in with 
    Ooh - it cant be that because I said so and you should read stuff because that is the truth and not bother maybe thinking outside the box or speculate.
    You never discuss or seem to even want to entertain ideas that are out there.
    Its speculation, general hypothesis, part of how science works.
  • "I would go as far as saying this can explain why there are people you meet that you just can't stand, but don't know why."
    I've never met Phil Collins, but if I ever do I'm going to hit him in the face. 
  • wasn't talking about any of that stuff chump. Maybe you should read what is being posted instead of what you want to read. 
    Yes, I have read about those areas even neruoscience.. 
    I wasn't talking about psychic energy either.

Explain yourself better then, because you're talking utter bulllshit so far. 
    If you're positing that the electromagnetic patterns in human brains can somehow be picked up and interpreted by other human brains, then yes, you are saying that this is "psychic energy" - next you'll be on about mind-reading and telepathy.

Also, evidence plox, what with this being the science thread - so get some evidence together.

(And really, if you don't know or can't explain why you like or dislike people that you meet, then ffs do more introspection and thinking.)
  • .... Its speculation, general hypothesis, part of how science works.
    Test your null hypothesis - that's how science works.

You think that people communicate on some level using the electromagnetic energy in their brains alone? (i.e. energy solely from the mind, i.e. psychic energy)

Then put some people in a room that can't see or hear each other and see how well this "brain energy" works when the people can't see each other's faces, behaviour or hear their words.

There's already been decades of research into flaky shit like that - nothing ever comes up better than chance.
  • djchump wrote:
    .... Its speculation, general hypothesis, part of how science works.
    Test your null hypothesis - that's how science works.

fine then.. I will..
  • In other news, don't forget to look out for the transit of Venus later.  It's a once in a lifetime opportunity, unless you're still kicking around in 2117...

Unfortunately, if you live in the UK that means getting up just before 5am tomorrow morning.  Given that I'm far too lazy, and don't have anything with which to sensibly view it without burning out my retina, I'm planning to watch NASA's live coverage from Hawaii.
  • Sounds boring as fuck.
  • True tin, I'll probably catch it on the internet, for the same reasons.
  • woah, I wouldn't have quite gone for the kill as chump has, but I have to say revel, what you're saying sounds a heck of a lot like psychic energy and/or Deepak Chopra.

It seems to me that what chump's suggested as alternatives to what you're saying would have to be completely ruled out before we got to your "hypothesis" and further that we'd need something, anything, for us to even consider going with "good and bad energy innit" to begin with.

In your first post on the topic, you repeat ". . .that you can't explain." In a general sort of way, implying that it's an exeperience that lots of people have. I'd suggest it's more you, as in you personally, can't explain it, and have jumped straight to therefore no one can explain it.

I dunno, it's all well and good to be thinking "outside the box," but surely when what's "in the box" is doing a reasonable job explaining things, and/or is on the way to it, there's no need to jump outside said box with no grounds. Whatayasay?
  • Chump is right and he is wrong. He shouldn't be posting this shit in the Science Thread.
  • One of the interesting parts of the philosophy of science module was that generation of hypotheses is an inherently creative process, open to all the usual human foibles and reliant on moments of inspiration (and there's some very interesting research into creativity) - so thinking "outside the box" is all well and fine (Watson's apocryphal spiral staircase dream, Kekule's ouroboros daydream) - but once you've got the hypothesis, you test that shit.

Experimental design is also pretty creative - some of the ways researchers have come up with to test cognitive processes are often ingenious and sometimes hilarious (I've linked this page many times, because I find the many studies that have gone into the different biases particularly fascinating: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cognitive_biases) - but it all grounds out in evidence, statistical analysis, peer-review and repeatability.
  • Chump is right and he is wrong. He shouldn't be posting this shit in the Science Thread.

Look out there is a hungry lion behind you...
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    Holy fucking shit.
  • hmm, seems similar to that wipeout hoax. Fucking cool, if it's real.
  • I believe that came before the Wipeout hoax (was in fact based on that vid) and is legit
    PSN: Shinji-_-Ikari
    Twitter: @YouDidItAll4Me
  • If they ever get superconductors into mass production we are gonna see some major shit. Impact on electricity distribution alone...
  • Wow.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Voyager I close to leaving the solar system.
    Voyager launched in 1977. Today, Voyager I is about 121 astronomical units (the rough distance from the Sun to the Earth) away. That is so far that it takes 16 hours for the radio signals it transmits to reach us. (Voyager II is about 22 astronomical units -- approximately seven years -- behind.) It is traveling at about 17 kilometers per second (38,000 miles per hour), propelled by the slingshot effect from flying by Jupiter and Saturn. ("It's well above escape velocity," Stone said.) The spacecraft's cameras have been turned off since 1990, when it took the pictures for the famous Family Portrait mosaic that captures the planets as they appeared as Voyager I looked back over the solar system it had traveled across.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Brooks wrote:
    If they ever get superconductors into mass production we are gonna see some major shit. Impact on electricity distribution alone...

It's quite easy to get very cold things to superconduct and they've been doing it since 1911. It's more of a case of doing this stuff at warmer temperatures.  

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/07/080709144157.htm
  • Facewon wrote:
    hmm, seems similar to that wipeout hoax. Fucking cool, if it's real.

It is real, they are demoing it on US Soil this month I think I read?

Wired didn't debunk it: http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2011/10/quantum-levitation/
  • Given that that's real, and if it did "inspire" the wipeout thing, I'm kinda wondering why they bothered to fake the wipeout thing. In what sense is the wipeout thing a hoax, and couldn't they have, you know, actually done it, given the above vid.

Or is the wipeout vid a step further than possible, and they were relying on laymen such as myself seeing the vid above and extrapolating?
  • Looking at the Blu-rum, there was a debate about this in January.  I posted this.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Given that that's real, and if it did "inspire" the wipeout thing, I'm kinda wondering why they bothered to fake the wipeout thing. In what sense is the wipeout thing a hoax, and couldn't they have, you know, actually done it, given the above vid. Or is the wipeout vid a step further than possible, and they were relying on laymen such as myself seeing the vid above and extrapolating?
    Cost, possibly, if possible.
  • If they ever get superconductors into mass production we are gonna see some major shit. Impact on electricity distribution alone...
    It's quite easy to get very cold things to superconduct and they've been doing it since 1911. It's more of a case of doing this stuff at warmer temperatures.   http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/07/080709144157.htm

What's the bet it'll be something to do with graphene in the end because goddamn graphene fucking rules.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!