Rime
  • :D
    Its rather fucking gorgeous to behold isnt it?
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Walk into Game this hot and sunny afternoon...

£29.99? Fuckin joke, bloody Game etc. Buy a £35 PSN card so I can get the digital version.

Go to download... £29.99.

Shakes fist!
  • £23 on Amazon with Prime
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • No sooner do I say that and go and check Amazon, it's sold out. Only 3rd party sellers.
  • Base.com still have it for that.
  • I'm hoping for a Swap Club lend.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    I'm hoping for a Swap Club lend.
    I should be able to offer it in a couple of weeks. I'm assuming it won't take long to get through.
  • The trophies in this are baffling. I just triggered another one, no idea how, or why, and the descriptions don't help either.

I also saw what I would consider to be a spoiler in the attract screen when I loaded it up earlier.

Apart from that, I'm rather enjoying it.
  • I'm onto the second land.so far its a rjp off of journey mixed with monument valley with The Witness's art style copied wholesale.very much enjoying it. Its very tranquil.I THINK I see where the story is going.
  • Wow this is gorgeous as is the music
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • I would disagree with all of those comparisons, ninja, but I can see why one might make them.
  • Andy wrote:
    I would disagree with all of those comparisons, ninja, but I can see why one might make them.
    Be interested to hear why.
    The Monument Valley one is a little stretch Ill admit, Mainly due to a similarity between elements in both games.
  • I'm onto the second land.so far its a rjp off of journey mixed with monument valley with The Witness's art style copied wholesale.very much enjoying it. Its very tranquil.I THINK I see where the story is going.

I wouldn't say rip off but there's inspiration

I'm getting monument valley and Ico early doors ... the art style cape/scarf is a bit journey... not played the witness

I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
    And the number of cans I can normally do is 12.

I'm out.

• All this makes me wanna play it now. But I'll resist the urge to splurge for now.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I'm onto the second land.so far its a rjp off of journey mixed with monument valley with The Witness's art style copied wholesale.very much enjoying it. Its very tranquil.I THINK I see where the story is going.

I'm out.

Even more out than you were already? That's quite a way out.
    Get schwifty.
  • Far out. But not in a good way
  • Andy wrote:
    The trophies in this are baffling. I just triggered another one, no idea how, or why, and the descriptions don't help either. I also saw what I would consider to be a spoiler in the attract screen when I loaded it up earlier. Apart from that, I'm rather enjoying it.

I just got one for 
    Spoiler:
  • I also got the one for 
    Spoiler:
  • Triple post apology... but wow what a game. Finished the second 'level'  and it's almost perfect. No quest markers, way points and virtually no tutorial.. but it manages to lead you with the subtlest of hints.. perfectly logical puzzles. Really enjoying it.

I'd add a hint of Limbo in the recipe Too.
  • I just finished the 2nd level also. The lack of HUD etc is great. It doesn't quite pack the feels of Journey and certainly not Ico yet though. But yup Im loving it also.

Regarding the 2nd level:
    Spoiler:
  • I just finished the 2nd level also. The lack of HUD etc is great. It doesn't quite pack the feels of Journey and certainly not Ico yet though. But yup Im loving it also. Regarding the 2nd level:
    Spoiler:
    It's almost certainly a two Play through for me. Once to experience, the next for trophies.

There was time after you'd dealt with it to explore before moving on... but it has that over whelming sense of discovery.

Also the only ever acceptable 
    Spoiler:

Level
  • Oh and due to the few buttons, bright visuals and lack of combat it remote plays particularly nicely.
  • Bob wrote:
    I just finished the 2nd level also. The lack of HUD etc is great. It doesn't quite pack the feels of Journey and certainly not Ico yet though. But yup Im loving it also. Regarding the 2nd level:
    Spoiler:
    It's almost certainly a two Play through for me. Once to experience, the next for trophies. There was time after you'd dealt with it to explore before moving on... but it has that over whelming sense of discovery. Also the only ever acceptable 
    Spoiler:
    Level
    Yup a two play through indeed I think.
    Spoiler:
    That feeling of total isolation is something I find games do particularly well. Alien Isolation was the last game that really got the feeling across.
    Andy wrote:
    I would disagree with all of those comparisons, ninja, but I can see why one might make them.
    Be interested to hear why. The Monument Valley one is a little stretch Ill admit, Mainly due to a similarity between elements in both games.

I can see two possible comparisons with Journey; one is the scarf/cape thing that Bob mentioned, but since that starts and ends at 'has cape' we'd be as well saying it's like Arkham Assylum. The other is that some information is communicated through wall paintings, but in Journey that's just telling the back story, whereas in Rime it's giving hints at puzzle solutions. In terms of gameplay, Rime is nothing like Journey. Rime is much more of an environmental puzzler than Journey. The game it most resembles is a more linear Submerged or, since nobody else has played that, some of the less complicated environmental puzzles of Tomb Raider or Uncharted.

You have conceded that the Monument Valley comparison is a stretch. I'll give you the fact that some of the perspective puzzles have an Escher-like quality, but (so-far) they are limited to perspective solutions rather than full-on Jarreth gravity shifting.

I think it's unfair on both games to say that it's copied The Witness's art-style wholesale. It would be like saying that Akira nicked Fantasia's look, or that Clerks looks like Sunset Boulevard. Yes, they both use bold, saturated colours, but so does Firewatch. Yes, they use a similar technique of white patterns to represent waves, but so do all the Studio Ghibli films. There is less of a painted quality to Rime than The Witness. The worlds are designed completely differently, too.

So, yes, there are lines of comparison that you can draw between them, but they are very limited in their scope. The way you've presented these comparisons gives a really skewed idea of what the game is like to look at and play.
  • Plus with the protracted development it's unlikely they actually copied the witness.

• Bob wrote:
    I just got one for 
    Spoiler:
    Bob wrote:
    I also got the one for 
    Spoiler:

Okay, those two are a little more obvious, as is one for breaking jars. I have to assume that one of the ones I got was just a chapter/puzzle completion one, but it wasn't obvious when it triggered.
  • Andy wrote:
    Bob wrote:
    I just got one for 
    Spoiler:
    Bob wrote:
    I also got the one for 
    Spoiler:
      Okay, those two are a little more obvious, as is one for breaking jars. I have to assume that one of the ones I got was just a chapter/puzzle completion one, but it wasn't obvious when it triggered.

Yeah I was mostly taking the piss. Some of them sound like obscure clues at best.
  • Just got the jar one!
  • Andy wrote:
    I'm onto the second land.so far its a rjp off of journey mixed with monument valley with The Witness's art style copied wholesale.very much enjoying it. Its very tranquil.I THINK I see where the story is going.
    Be interested to hear why. The Monument Valley one is a little stretch Ill admit, Mainly due to a similarity between elements in both games.
    I can see two possible comparisons with Journey; one is the scarf/cape thing that Bob mentioned, but since that starts and ends at 'has cape' we'd be as well saying it's like Arkham Assylum. The other is that some information is communicated through wall paintings, but in Journey that's just telling the back story, whereas in Rime it's giving hints at puzzle solutions. In terms of gameplay, Rime is nothing like Journey. Rime is much more of an environmental puzzler than Journey. The game it most resembles is a more linear Submerged or, since nobody else has played that, some of the less complicated environmental puzzles of Tomb Raider or Uncharted. You have conceded that the Monument Valley comparison is a stretch. I'll give you the fact that some of the perspective puzzles have an Escher-like quality, but (so-far) they are limited to perspective solutions rather than full-on Jarreth gravity shifting. I think it's unfair on both games to say that it's copied The Witness's art-style wholesale. It would be like saying that Akira nicked Fantasia's look, or that Clerks looks like Sunset Boulevard. Yes, they both use bold, saturated colours, but so does Firewatch. Yes, they use a similar technique of white patterns to represent waves, but so do all the Studio Ghibli films. There is less of a painted quality to Rime than The Witness. The worlds are designed completely differently, too. So, yes, there are lines of comparison that you can draw between them, but they are very limited in their scope. The way you've presented these comparisons gives a really skewed idea of what the game is like to look at and play.
    My comparisons are what the game feels like to play and to give a clue to the visual style. IMO those other games are a decent reference for those that haven't played Rime. Im not suggesting the devs saw early screens of The Witness and decided to do a Journey clone in a similar art style. I know its been in development a long time(I opened this thread myself in 2013! ) and it isnt just ripping off art styles etc.
    I would say that the Journey comparison goes far deeper than just the protagonists sharing a similar cape though. You begin the game as an unknown Joe with the goal of reaching the summit of the mountain/tower. Both games are set in unknown worlds, are hudless,wordless,textless,without combat and even have similar music. The gameplay of course is different but if I described Rime as a Journey-like game to you, surely that would suggest a 3rd person arty wordless,textless,combatless adventure?
    While the puzzles might be similar to an Uncharted, the game has a totally different focus. The puzzles are there to get you to explore and lead you through the world. The game does seem to be heavily inspired by that desolate,isolated feel of Ico or Journey and I do think some of the perspective puzzles are reminiscent of Monument Valley. The comparisons I made weren't intended to put anyone off or anything,quite the opposite. If Journey and Ico(I meant to include Ico in my original comparisons) are not good comparisons then what would you suggest would be?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!