theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    A gay bus station? Well, it's different I suppose.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Now there's a page turn.
  • I very much agree with Roujin, although I have to confess that I'm pretty ignorant about architecture. I've had a look at some more pictures of Preston Bus Station and I do quite like it, certainly makes an impact. So many modern buildings are just boring, they seem to be designed to be as inoffensive as possible.
  • I pass a newly built special needs school on the way to various hobbies and its a particularly uninspiring if  nice and modern building, but that's beside the point. They have mounted eight giant B&W photographs of real students printed onto mental to the front of the building. The place isn't even open yet and they have already succumbed to the British climate, I think they are actually printed on metal mesh sheets, which when it rains gives a lovely mottled flesh effect to the kids faces making them look like zombies.
    Great idea that was. 

On another note I geeked out to the max and bought the first issue of that Star Trek miniatures collection magazine (£1,99 from all good newsagents) and it contained the Enterprise D from Star Trek TNG, for something designed in the late 80's the design of that ship is standing the test of time and fashion incredibly well and given the chance to look closely at it the ellipses and curves are rather beautiful.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Printed the photo onto the metal. Then enamelled it I guess.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Horrible building that everyone inexplicibly wants to save: Preston Bus Station

Preston_Bus_Station_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1182121.jpg

Somehow it looks less awful in this picture. A trick of the angle perhaps. Christ alive though it needs to be bulldozed.

The Preston Bus Station is stunning - 100x nicer than whatever shite attempt at modern/minimalist they're proposing.
  • Horrible building that everyone inexplicibly wants to save: Preston Bus Station Preston_Bus_Station_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1182121.jpg Somehow it looks less awful in this picture. A trick of the angle perhaps. Christ alive though it needs to be bulldozed.

I thought the Dread Pirate Roberts was a fictional character?
  • The bus station is the least of Preston's problems. If they're going to bulldoze it, they may as well pay the guy overtime and tell him to keep going until he runs out of fuel.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Whenever a petition pops up to save Preston Bus Station, I sign it.
    Last I heard attempts had become futile and it seemed certain it was to go.

I bloody love it.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • As horrible as I find the bus station to look at, using it is even worse. Until I think 2 years ago, your options for getting to it were:

Risk death through being flattened by a double decker bus

Risk death through rape and murder in a badly lit piss stinking underpass

@danclarke they aren't actually proposing anything to replace it, which is part of the problem.
  • Loving the Brutalism in here, Habitat '67 and the Buffalo City Court building are magnificent.  One of the pieces I'm most familiar with is the old Birmingham Central Library, unfortunately it closed its doors a couple of months back and is due to be demolished next year.

Heritage27_95381c.jpg
  • See that's nice. Knock down the bus station and replace it with that.
  • Birmingham Central Library is ace, sadly, it too is coming down, to be replaced by offices. It's one of the busiest libraries in the whole of Europe apparently, takes 5000 visitors a day. 

800px-Chamberlain_Square%2C_Birmingham_April_2007.jpg

It also managed to sit quite quietly amongst the skyline. I grew up near Brum and even though I walked through I walked through Chamberlain Square probably hundreds of times, I never even took any notice of it.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • It is being replaced by a swanky new library just around the corner though.
  • It's been replaced with this afaik

GetImage.ashx?img=18133&w=918&h=610&t=normal&c=false

Which looks like a cross between a doily and an iron gate.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Aye that's the one.  The metal doily work is nasty, I'll take Brutalism anyday.

6785797632_afed3617de_z.jpg
  • When I said 'swanky' that was in no way meant to be an aesthetic critique of the architecture, as this is the first time I've actually seen it. It's certainly interesting though.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Did you mean Hilary Swank-like?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I quite like that actually. The Selfridges building on the other hand was horrific when it was put up and still is.

I like all the brutalist stuff, mostly because they remind me of the various bases of assorted Gerry Anderson productions.
  • I'm not a fan of Selfridges either, but as Igor mentioned with the new library, it's certainly interesting.  I can't walk past without gawping.  Mainly in disgust, but still.

5401686559_a2dee5d7ec_z.jpg
  • Aye that's the one.  The metal doily work is nasty, I'll take Brutalism anyday. 6785797632_afed3617de_z.jpg

Yeesh.
  • Yup. That bus station's not lookin' so bad now eh? ;)
  • I dunno, any attempt to liven it up might help. I've also just been reminded of the 'upturned chinese takeaway pot' that is 53 Degrees.

128970821_9a67aafbe2.jpg
  • I quite like the Imperial War Museum North, which is just down the road from me. The design is based on a globe which has been shattered into shards, obviously a representation of global conflict.s0k5.jpgrsai.jpg
  • I find that kind of beautiful despite the idea behind the design.

So here's a couple more adventurous builds in Birmingham (I swear the council is obsessed with unique buildings, give it a few years and there won't be any sort of architectural coherence, not that there was much before but y'know).  First off, The Cube, a monster of a building close to the city centre. The exterior design is supposedly influenced by Brum's jewellery making and industrial heritage, I'd never call it beautiful but I don't dislike it at all. It also has the UK's largest automated car park.  Woohoo!

Birmingham-The-Cube---Credit-First-House-Photography-(6).jpg

4796478948_7d592a62da_z.jpg

4326364094_c95307a4e2_b.jpg

Then there's the new Bournville College campus which opened in 2011 iirc.  Again it's not exactly pretty but at least it's another attempt at doing something different rather than the typical steel and glass nothings that seem to be everywhere.

ayfh_18029_1_bournville_college_broadway_malyan_1.jpg

bournville-college-conference-centre.jpg

bournville_college_campus_b141111_3.jpg

1321583694-bournville-college-024-528x352.jpg
  • Shout outs to the Cube, looks lovely especially when viewed from the little canal basin bit behind the Mailbox imho. Also the facades remind me of Tetris.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Last night I was lucidly dreaming, I know I was lucid because I was looking at this, water fountain, is the best description for it and I thought "Oh I should post that in here".

It's actually impossible to describe. It had a syndicate vibe going for it as did the Buffalo(?) courthouse. I think yous would've liked it.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Always had a soft spot for the hugging buildings in Prague:

Dancing-Houses.jpg

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!