Discless consoles not far off
  • I think MS/Sony should send you a little credit card with your account.  Go to Game, buy XBLA title, swipe card, and bingo, it's already downloaded by the time you're home.
  • Or just stay at home and buy it.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Re: BC, on a slightly tangential code, apparently the Jak and Daxter HD collection was a total shit to convert because Naughty Dog had done some crazy stuff, including stuff Sony had forbid like using the PSone emulation hardware. Guess the moral of the story is you should be careful if you want to monetize your stuff into the far future.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Can't remember where I floated this idea, but I've been beaten to the punch anyway

SCEA patents advertising that interrupts gameplay

patent525.jpg
  • They would.
    Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • I blame Mod.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Remember when they were going to sell advertising space in game and no one was interested.
  • That was probably Mod's fault too.

:D

g.man
  • I_R wrote:
    Remember when they were going to sell advertising space in game and no one was interested.

Didn't Criterion have some sort of success with that?

Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I can't stop reading this thread as "Dickless consoles not far off".
  • Burnout did it really well, as did Crackdown. I've no idea if either made any money like.

The only way I think anyone would put up with that patent though is if a game were completely free, but funded by that. I think I could put up with playing a blockbuter game for nowt, being interrupted by ads every 15 mins. Although it would probably be better to go to an ad break at pre-scripted moments rather than interrupting play.
  • Some games managed it because it wasn't intrusive and it fitted with the character of the game.  I have no problem with seeing billboards in the city in Burnout Paradise or in Crackdown, and I don't really care if they advertise things that are available now.  I wouldn't mind if a character in a cutscene picks up a can of Coke(tm) either, to be honest.

But stopping an interactive experience to display a TV-style ad?  Way to totally get it wrong, Sony.  It's not the same as watching a movie.
  • I don't tolerate ad breaks in movies, either.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    The only way I think anyone would put up with that patent though is if a game were completely free, but funded by that. I think I could put up with playing a blockbuter game for nowt, being interrupted by ads every 15 mins. Although it would probably be better to go to an ad break at pre-scripted moments rather than interrupting play.

I wonder if this is related to the Gaikai rumour?

Premium subs to play non-ad games, free subs for ad funded ones? Would be very simple to suspend a streamed game and insert an advert.
  • What be the Gakai rumour?
  • Unlikely wrote:
    I don't tolerate ad breaks in movies, either.

Nor I; but I'd find them much more tolerable than the same in games.
  • I'd find a broken nose more tolerable than a shattered pelvis, but neither are enticing prospects.
  • Well, I guess I won't be buying any more PlayStation consoles then if that lunacy is true.
  • I wouldn't be surprised if it's partially true. I can imagine such a service being added as a feature to a next gen console. It would still have a disc drive as an alternative, but it would provide a good transition towards consoles ultimately just becoming streaming devices the following generation.

maybe

g.man
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I bet you could add an OnLive or Gaikai player to the existing PS3.
  • I would expect so. Doesn't seem a great stretch of the imagination to add it to, for instance, the Playstation Plus suite of tools for the next iteration as a feature.

regards

g.man
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    As I said in the other thread, it's kinda genius.

If you add it to this gen you can stream (rent) the back catalogue for a (I'm assuming) lowish monthly fee.

If that then becomes the main delivery method next gen you don't need top drawer hardware to run it, a cheap set-top box does for OnLive. You slice out the retail middle man, your games can use the latest hardware so never look dated, you get a nice regular income.

The only absolutely major sticking point is broadband speeds, but if your main markets are the developed countries and you can enjoy a nice low price tail on the PS3 in third worlds, why not?

It'd be the bravest boldest move from a console manufacturer since...well, forever. It's a big roll of the dice though and could go spectacularly well or spectacularly badly. I'm not sure how it would sit with the traditional engineers at Sony HQ, Kaz particularly.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    Anyone here like steaming games? I own the new Deus Ex on OnLive, but with the lag I'm really not tempted to play it.
  • I still can't see broadband speeds and allowances going up fast enough for this to really take off, even as just one way of playing a game on a console.
  • There's demonstrable lag using OnLive here, with a 25Mbit cable connection.  It's alright for some things, and I managed to keep Borderlands playable for the first 5 mints until something happened, but I'm not sure it's viable yet for action games.

I'd play a strategy game using it though.  In fact, I might give it a try.
  • There's an ad-supported mobile network in the UK.
  • Elmlea wrote:
    There's demonstrable lag using OnLive here, with a 25Mbit cable connection.  It's alright for some things, and I managed to keep Borderlands playable for the first 5 mints until something happened, but I'm not sure it's viable yet for action games. I'd play a strategy game using it though.  In fact, I might give it a try.
    That's why I could see a manufacturer adding it as a service to a next-gen machine whilst still retaining a disc drive for traditional purposes. A toe in the water if you like. Get the punters interested then develop the infrastructure over the coming years.
    Let's not forget that seven years ago the idea of sitting in your living room streaming hi-definition movies on your telly with your console would have seemed like witchcraft to most people.
    Seven years is a long time in the technology stakes. A lot of things that seem ridiculous now will be ubiquitous by 2020.

regards

g.man
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I_R wrote:
    I still can't see broadband speeds and allowances going up fast enough for this to really take off, even as just one way of playing a game on a console.

That's when it starts becoming a numbers game. Is it worth leaving all the people that can't or don't want to stream games behind in exchange for the audience that will buy a $49 box and pay a monthly subscription.

I don't know what numbers OnLive are doing, but imagine what they could be with the Playstation name (and exclusives) attached.

They wouldn't even need to worry about trying to sell digitally and at retail and all the pitfalls that brings. They just say thanks for the good times guys, laterz.
  • 4G is coming.  I've heard tell that it's pretty fast.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!