adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Some discussion broke out over the tag 'Game of the Generation' in the GTAV thread. I found it amusingly antagonistic so I've decided to spin it out into its own thread. Wheeeee!!!!

So basically, what is your Game of the Generation for this current generation of consoles? It's quite an open ended tag, so I'd like you all to approach it from three different angles.

Entertainment - Which game entertained you the most this generation? This could be the game you had the most fun with, or the game that made you cry the most tears.
    Apex - Which game do you think was the technical apex of this generation? Which game had the most impressive graphics, or most awesome physics?
    Representative - Which game do you think represents this generation as a whole the best? Or to put it another way, which game do you feel defined this generation the most?

It's not unlikely that the same game will be your GOTG for more than one of these. Don't just list the games, include your reasoning for each one in each category. If you just do a list you will be CURSED for the whole of the next generation, so watch out! Oh, and the current generation is Playstation 3, Wii and Xbox 360 for the purposes of this thread, no other devices.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    If you don't allow PC titles from the release date of the 360 onwards, I will burn you.
  • Neptune's Pride II
    Neptune's Pride II
    Neptune's Pride II

Bring it, bitchface.
  • The Uncharted trilogy, from every angle, by some considerable distance.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    This thread is a safe space for console users, how dare you come in here with your vile PC things.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    adored wrote:
    The Uncharted trilogy, from every angle, by some considerable distance.

No reasoning. You are CURSED!
  • Let the burning commence.
  • E - Halo 3
    A - GTA V/Forza 4
    R - Modern Warfare 1.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Right in the EAR
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    E - Halo 3 A - GTA V/Forza 4 R - Modern Warfare 1.

I hope you had fun this generation because you will not be having fun next generation because you are CURSED because you just listed your choices without discussing them.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I remember the golden age of this thread, before people started posting in it.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Dark Fucking Souls, obviously.
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    The Uncharted trilogy, from every angle, by some considerable distance.
    No reasoning. You are CURSED!

Apologies, was posting from my phone whilst in a GTAV lull. Allow me to get into full Uncharted wank frenzy now...

Entertainment
    The best Indiana Jones games never made, brilliant storytelling, great characters, and a story arc that I actually cared about. The relationship between Drake and Elena was fantastic, and it was combined with lots of lovely mumbo-jumbo and more the sort of thrills Michael Bay wishes he could deliver.

Apex
    From the moment you find the u-boat in the first game, Uncharted raises the bar for the entire generation, and just gets better looking as it progresses, be it wandering around a Tibetan village in 2 or the plane crash in 3. TLoU may have pushed the PS3 to its limits, but it was ony able to do so thanks to the Uncharted Games.

Representative
    A brand new IP for this gen, wrapped up in a fantasic trilogy with which Naughty Dog pushed the machine further and with results no-one else could match. Instead of just being Bloke Raider, it ended up being the game Tomb Raider had to copy, unthinkable at the start of this gen. Plus, y'know, Nolan fucking North!
  • Oh yeah,
    Kow wrote:
    Demon's Fucking Souls, obviously.
  • Yeah, so, um, DARK SOULS.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    E - Halo 3
    A - GTA V/Forza 4
    R - Modern Warfare 1.

E - Uncharted 2
    A - GTA V
    R - Call of Duty 4
  • I may do this at some point, but I'm making up my own categories if I do.
  • Consoleware this gen has been a consistent fucking drag.

With that out the way:

E - Gears 3 multi is the best deathmatch affair since Q3A.

A - Idk, the whole OMGtehgraffx thing bores the back fuck off me.

R - Last of Us is as good as the cutscene/game/cutscene paradigm is ever going to get, which is not very. Summary of an entire school of design.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    E - Left 4 Dead - can't really think of more fun I've had on mp gaming outside of tf2 since Q3A. Runner up - Mario Galaxy

A - Uncharted 2 - slap bang in the middle of the gen, and still outshines its successor. Runner up - Tomb Raider

R - Arkham City - open world done right, stealing and merging genres from the past, mega budget, sort of QTEs? Go on then.
    Runner up - Uncharted 2
  • E - MAG was the game I engaged with most, I know it was a favourite for most of us who were there.

A - Last Of Us was the best looking game, and was pretty solid in all other technical areas too.

R - Not really sure, for me the biggest leap forward was MP so perhaps MAG takes that too.
  • OP is a bit confusing. Asks for a GOTG but then mentions three things and the GOTG for each. So is that GOTH for the 3 categories plus an overall GOTG???

E = Halo 3. So much local multiplayer larks. Street Fighter 4 is close runner up. 
    A = dunno. Don't care much. Last of Us?
    R = dunno. CoD4 defined/shaped a lot of this gen. For the worst I'd say. 

Overall GOTG: Mario Galaxy 1/2. Or maybe Skyward Sword. Close runner up to those: Journey.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • E - Oblivion. That game was brilliant for 200 hours where upon it ruined Elder Scrolls games for me forever.

A - Bioshock Infinite is the nicest looking game I've played this generation by flipping miles(PC obvs lol). Beautiful game. Runner up The Witcher 2.

R - CoD 4 Modern Warfare probably. Was brand new at the time and loads of fun and it's influence is felt in everything now.

Adding two new categories:

Actual GOTG - Dark Souls. Creates an incredibly deep and immersive world with as little needless exposition as possible, the narrative instead created by the world itself and the bosses you encounter. The combat and upgrade system is incredibly versatile and satisfying and it's one of the few games that you can genuinely play however you like. Praise the sun y'all.

Disappointment of the generation(DOTG): Diablo III or Guild Wars II probably although this is a tricky one.
  • E - Wii Sports - those moments when you realised that this might be the FUTURE
    A - Bioshock - worldcrafting ftw
    R - Tomb Raider - 3rd person, with cover shooting and melee shite all with cutscenes better than the game.
  • Entertainment - (I wanted to say Halo 3, or ODST, or Bioshock, or the Fallouts, or Dead Rising, or Street Fighter 4, or Tekken Tag 2, Borderlands, or even Too Human because I am gay for that game [6] be damned, but I think there was one title that I have to give credit too above all else...) Mass Effect Trilogy

Apex - Bioshock Infinite (PC, suck it OP) (No contest, would likely have been GTAV PC if available but that's not coming out till next fucking year)

Representative - Another vote for COD4 (I never played this game, in fact I haven't played a Call of Duty since I got largely bored of FPS's when they went nuts with the WW2 games last gen, but this game clearly represents everything this gen has come to ecompass - online multiplayer, shiny graphics, dlc and also retards everywhere)
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    E - Burnout Paradise, must be my most played game. Lost a shed load of saves and kept going back to it despite having others to play. ALso most played online game.

A - GTA series or Uncharted Series. Not a game per se but the whole of each because progressions and both have truly delivered something amazing. If I had to pick I'd say Uncharted as it's quite an experience.

R - CoD4, it's still going strong today and it's certainly been a template for years.

Other titles...

Actual GOTG; I don't know yet- I'll get back to yous in about 2 years or whenever this gen is actually dead.

Disappointment; Infamous, because it's not really brilliant is it?

And my own...

Unsung Hero of the Generation; Mirrors Edge, because it showed up it was possible to do more with an FPS and a player could be in control of their limbs and body, to a degree.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Good call on Mirrors Edge, sorely underrated in terms of innovation, IMO.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Aye. More innovative than Gears A for everything.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • E: Trials HD
    A: Uncharted 2
    R: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare

GOTG: Mario Galaxy 2.

I'll edit my reasons in tomorrow, because I should be in bed.
  • Being my list this'll be accurate for all of three minutes before I change my mind.  In fact I've just changed my mind as to one of the choices and I haven't typed 'em out yet.

Enjoyment:  Portal 2.  There are a lot of games I've sunk more time into but for sheer minute by minute fun and a childish sense of delight this takes it.  I must have played it through half dozen times and the level design and humour never fail to charm.  Joyous.  

Apex:  The Last of Us.  A game world more vibrant, beautiful, scary, and alive than anything I've yet traveled through.  This world also happens to contain the finest video game story I've ever experienced, with moments of wonder matched by stomach churning moments of dread, and lead and supporting characters I cared about far more than I thought I would or indeed could.  Love it to bits.

Representative:  COD 4: Modern Warfare.  Cuz influenshul innit.

Overall GOTG:  The Last of Us.  That story.  That world.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Don't know about all this EAR stuff. But COD 4: Modern Warfare, sadly/blatantly, is the game of this gen. And I hate that game. : P

Oh... And Wii Sports.
    That's the same gen right? Now everybody wants a wavy controller...

I really need to play The Last Of Us though.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
‹ Previous1234

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!