Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    If someone sent me some 3d files for a DIY woodwork project modeled in solidworks, how easy would it be to export those files to some sort of traditional plan? Also does anyone know if there is a service where you can order wood cut to specified dimensions?
  • For the model, you would need someone who knows how to setup drawing sheets in Solidworks, or who can export the solidworks file into whatever package they want to do the drawings with. Probably not a super easy thing to do if you've never used solidworks before, but not a problem if you've used it or a package that will take solidworks files and create drawings. 

Loads of places online will let you order wood cut to specific dimensions.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Today's random shit.
    I love doing stuff like this, starting with no idea where it will end and just playing, throwing random shit in. Should really be focusing on stuff that leads to paid work but I need the outlet sometimes.

20915.jpg
  • I think Richard O'Brien would definitely approve. :)
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • He is appropriately locked in.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    @LivDiv did you at some point say you were planning on making model packs? 

I probably need some trees and environment things, RTS graphic style.

Think Crusader Kings is the scale we're going for, but it will be modern.
  • I chuck some stuff up on Turbosquid but no plans for an asset pack.

Foliage is always tough, it depends what you need really and if you decide your project will use a lot of it it can almost dictate the art approach.

I use Forest Pack to do a lot of mine. The Popeye pic up the page is surrounded in one of their oak tree models scaled and rotated. Although I dont bother fixing the alpha link so it doesn't look like oak leaves.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    Foliage is always tough, it depends what you need really and if you decide your project will use a lot of it it can almost dictate the art approach.
    We don't know yet, it's for a project for a client, and I have no clue where to go right now. The client doesn't know exactly what he wants (he's someone B worked with a lot before, so it's gonna work out at some point), B seems to have an idea but doesn't have that much time, and is way more aware of technical possibilities. So now I'm here staring at my screen without knowing what to do, and we need some sellable concept in less than 10 days. (this was only told earlier this week, he wants to show this thing on Strijp Festival, and needs to apply for it. We were just mocking some stuff up before, no pressure)

Is there a way I can see what you've put on Turbosquid? I know we probably gonna need to purchase some things, so if we can use what you've put up there, I'd rather help you a bit as well.
  • I could link you to my page but I have zero foliage stuff. Unless you want wooden kids toys and a terrible Bacardi bottle from 2009 that still seems to sell it won't be any use.

There will be stock stuff out there though. If you want realism down to individual leaves go for forestpack, you can easily switch out bitmaps for leaves and bark but it will give you that base mesh.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    haha, nope, no kids toys or bacardi bottles. Unless the bottle is a really important landmark in the UK somewhere. 

It's basically gonna be an interactive map of the world, but more like you'd see in schools etc. Landmarks etc are exaggerated, big empty areas are scaled down a bit etc.
  • It's been fuckin' weeks/months but I finally have my model in Substance, ready to learn how to hand paint the textures. 

It's a bit of a botch job, but it's only 30k polys, and the base model is... 3 million?

Baking is magic, I love it.

Dart_Test.jpg
  • @Tempy

Sorry meatn to post the other day but got caught up in something.

Looks great, you are certainly in the realms of shit I dont know now.
    Have you managed to progress at all since?

The hair looks great and I particularly like the detail around the belt. You have definitely got the large, small, micro detail staging going on which is great to see, helps tie things together.
  • No worries, and cheers!

I have been trundling a long, a lot of fixing the UVs and learning how to do texture sets, chucked it into Substance and spent half a day figuring out how to get a sort of hand painted vibe going on in that program using Generators on Masks to shade it according to a vertical light source, sort of how I do warhammer.

unknown.png
  • Awesome.
    Yeah UVs are a bitch, the very much not so fun part of the process.

This definitely seems to be a way to go for you though. That looks much better than anything I have managed in Substance that wasnt just a carbon copy of a tutorial I was watching. Its cool software and should be fun once over the hump.
  • For a personal project it's fine that they're a bit messy, but I wish I knew how to split them better and pack them etc.

Maya has really good UV tools though, though I ran into a lot of issues using it because I was just following a few tutorials for retopo and UV stuff, which means that I don't know all the ins and outs, meaning I was often left high and dry. Battled through though.

I need to learn more about baking too, there are some nasty baking errors on the model that i've sort of papered over - they're usually because stuff is too close together, but I dunno how to avoid that on a character. Stuff like cages and so on I guess help? I have no idea!
  • I have never really got too far with unwrapping UVs.
    My first job had us modelling and unwrapping biscuit packets of all things, a lot was saved in photoshop though.

I think you are doing well with it, you are just early in your journey. You will pick up tools and techniques, that kind of stuff is where most people massively level up by doing work experience or landing a junior job, it can be hard to get alone.
  • Cheers man. I've decided even if this writing job I've interviewed for comes good, I'll keep practicing this stuff after my degree. I enjoy it, even if it is a nightmare at times!
  • Good stuff. Definitely carry it on.
    If the writing job comes off the pressure will be off a bit and you might find it all just comes a bit easier.
  • Ive been trying to hammer out some interior visuals recently. The aim was to do a room a week but I had a real slump on doing anything last week.

Shower room
    Interior01-A.jpg

Interior01-B.jpg

Interior01c.jpg

Pilot's Lounge

Interior03-A-Interactive-Light-Mix.jpg

Interior03-B-Interactive-Light-Mix.jpg

Bakery, this was paid work I probably shouldn t be showing but it is the exact same as their other stores.
    There are bits like the bottles i would have done better with more time but they only wanted to pay for 2 days, took me nearly 3.

Wenzels-Kentish-Town-01.jpg

Wenzels-Kentish-Town-02.jpg

Wenzels-Kentish-Town-03.jpg
  • Your stuff is so good Liv, love the rooms you've been doing, especially the pilots lounge. You rendering these in unreal?
  • Cheers mate.
    Nah. I decided to put the Unreal stuff on the back burner to do this stuff which I can turn around faster (purely through experience) to hopefully gain more paid stuff.

These were all done in 3ds Max using Corona renderer.
  • The Pilot's lounge is proving popular. I actually started that months ago, possibly before the first lockdown.
    It just wasnt working though and I couldnt work out why. Went back in and it came together quite quickly.

Biggest changes were the plane wall art sculpture. Switching it to a dusk setting. Adding the circular rugs, originally these were circular wood flooring patterns but it didnt look real enough.
  • ytalrIo.png
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Latest visual.
    Something a bit brighter next.

Interior02-A-Interactive-Light-Mix.jpg
  • Looking really good, the amount of stuff you can get done it what seems like a relatively short time is incredibly intimidating.

Finished my character, looks like actual shit. Not sure what i expected.

Oh well. Learning how to make hair for shit character number 2. There is a surprising lack of good
    tutorials out there for proper hair card stuff, I think it’s perhaps a black art? Had some fun with xGen in Maya but it’s really not useful for what I need, which is to replicate the above but with hair cards, I think.
  • Youre picking all the hard stuff Temps!

I have never really done hair properly, in fact I hadnt touch the tools in years until I did the fur in the above. That was fairly staright forward though because there wasnt really a style or anything, just pushed it around a bit.
  • Hey look, it's a month later and the deadline is in 5 days and I have no written component... but I did the hair and the texture work for my realistic-ish character. It's all fairly functional stuff. Rendered it out super quickly in UE4, hence the bluriness.

HighresScreenshot00001.png

HighresScreenshot00002.png
  • Good work mate, got there in the end.
    Just bash out that written bit now.
  • Not sure if the right thread buuuuuut - we're planning some work to our house and could really do with some software to help us plan out how it's going to look. Like what you get when you visit a kitchen place or whatever. We've tried online tools from ikea/wren etc but they're not the best.

Any decent and free software I can get downloaded so we can muck about with the layout? I don't want to keep making shit paper drawings then messaging the architect to draw them up proper everytime.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!