Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I was a bit bored at uni and wrote my own software ray tracer - I'll see if i can find my pics / vids from that. Not quite as fancy as your stuff im afraid. Zero artistic talent here, your stuff is all far too swish!
  • That mosquito is ace.

Might do some pic dumps from time to time of interesting 3D illustration I find unless there's any objections to using the thread that way. May even dump some of my own stuff one day. The bar is currently set intimidatingly high though.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    I was a bit bored at uni and wrote my own software ray tracer - I'll see if i can find my pics / vids from that. Not quite as fancy as your stuff im afraid. Zero artistic talent here, your stuff is all far too swish!

I can't write my own raytracer! I got told to once for my own good and i was like 'no thanks vray is fine!'.

I think if you know your dot products you'll be okay, maybe. But yeah my stills are very low on tech skill, it's only since doing realtime things and writing shaders that i'm aware of the fancy code stuff. So you writing a raytracer is very much as interesting as anyone else using vray

Also this should be exactly where everyone dumps their 3D shenanigans at whatever level, dump it!

Iunno if i should just post whatevers on my deviantart here in stages since i doubt anyone will go over there..

erm, another thingy

Zombling_Free_by_TorsadesPourFoi.jpg
  • I'm professionally a 2d motion graphic artist but I like to dip my toe into 3d from time to time. I have combined Cinema 4d, Maya, Poser (nightmare) and Z brush with After Effects but I would in no way consider myself a pro at any of the 3d applications, I usually do the bare minimum to achieve what I want and then do my best to tidy/comp it all up in After Effects (my safety blanket). 

I have a shed load of underused AE Plugins that I love to experiment with. I have recently aquired Plexus 2 and Newton 2 so i'm playing around with these at the moment, with the former playing a heavy visual role on my next project which will see me until Xmas. Element 3d has been very cool to play around with, i'm yet to use it for anything other than fooling around and generally dribbling at the prospect of a 3d model directly in After Effects, even though its more commonplace now. 

The studio I work for have just purchased Cinema 4d r15 in the last few weeks so i'm certainly going to put the extra effort in to learning more of it to improve my skill set.
  • I find poser absolutely horrible but it does have one huge selling point - Affordable, agreeably licensed stock models, thousands of them. I've exported more models from poser as .objs than i can count
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Tada!  I was well pleased when my own code wrote this - no Direct X, no shaders, no graphics card, just raw "write this colour to this offset into video memory".

This was how I earned my geek stripes back in 2001 :-)

• acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    heh, or my musical remix ;p

and one more for luck.  Man i had too much spare time back then.

• acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    And some pickies, given I finally found this folder on my desktop...

bump maps

bump2.bmp

textures (and lens flare, which I'd forgotten about)

lightroom_flare.bmp

that is the full extent of my artistic talent
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Have you ever tried Houdini? That looks like some proper geek out stuff, node based, pretty technical, but you can make some awesome stuff with it. A friend of us (works at Guerrilla as well now) is off to Korea to do some talk about it. He and his team got nominated for the oscars as well. Think most of the explosions you see these days are based on his code, he worked at sidefx for a while.

I miss 3D a lot, I don't find the time to do it properly in my free time. Had so much fun making our game earlier this year, but I really needed  Gunn being there to keep me motivated. As soon as I'm on my own I just keep uhhming and ahhing and find it hard to decide if I actually should move that vertice yes or no. Have a few ideas about low poly environments, interactive and based on childhood memories. Still want to go back to it,  but find it hard to decide on a visual style. 

Hopefully once the focus from my current job (retail) goes into the background, and my daily life will have more focus on my current study (bike technician) I find some more free time (and more importantly, motivation and certainty) to go back into Blender. I started using that last year, was quite impressed once you figured out how it's logic is.

I don't think I want to do this as a paid job anymore though, the things I liked doing didn't usually go well with what a company wants. I see it as a way of painting, doing some art, and I find it hard to see it as a day time job. Ruins a bit of the fun.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I remember your showreel with the composited cube transitions very well (you posted it way back on the redrum)...

Always wondered how you did that. : )

As for Houdini, I've heard alot about that... 
    What's more, Side Fx also adopted a Python scripting API not too long after Blender launched one (but before the language was adopted as a Maya scripting standard)...

I know there's a "educational" version out there, but I think the full program comes in at almost £11,000 per seat, and needs a machine more powerful than HRH to run it... So I abandoned the idea of trying it out. 

@Ace
    What language did you write that in?
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    In C++ - I'll dig out the code, inelegant though it is!

Edge detection for targeted anti-aliasing was another highlight I just remembered :-).  Hours of time thrown at it!
  • Jesus Ace, that's some next level stuff right there. I wrote a 3D model solar system at university in Java. It was as bad as it sounds.
  • Nina wrote:
    Have you ever tried Houdini? That looks like some proper geek out stuff, node based, pretty technical, but you can make some awesome stuff with it. A friend of us (works at Guerrilla as well now) is off to Korea to do some talk about it. He and his team got nominated for the oscars as well. Think most of the explosions you see these days are based on his code, he worked at sidefx for a while. I miss 3D a lot, I don't find the time to do it properly in my free time. Had so much fun making our game earlier this year, but I really needed  Gunn being there to keep me motivated. As soon as I'm on my own I just keep uhhming and ahhing and find it hard to decide if I actually should move that vertice yes or no. Have a few ideas about low poly environments, interactive and based on childhood memories. Still want to go back to it,  but find it hard to decide on a visual style.  Hopefully once the focus from my current job (retail) goes into the background, and my daily life will have more focus on my current study (bike technician) I find some more free time (and more importantly, motivation and certainty) to go back into Blender. I started using that last year, was quite impressed once you figured out how it's logic is. I don't think I want to do this as a paid job anymore though, the things I liked doing didn't usually go well with what a company wants. I see it as a way of painting, doing some art, and I find it hard to see it as a day time job. Ruins a bit of the fun.

Nina! Long time no see, great to see you back with us, hope stuffs been okay. We arent all doing a hell of a lot atm really although im about to start a project and deeeeefinitely if you can find a lil bit if free time and i will be there to oversee it cause ill be working all ours of the day, the exact way you approach modelling could be super helpful for what im on about, yu might like the idea anyways. Also even if now, we still got some of the boys talkin in skype chat from time to time so pop in the conference every so often! I think people would be super glad you showed your face

@muzzy fuck me man that is awesome stuff, way beyond where i was at doing my uni project work. You might find this quite funny given our roles in enjoy but my main piece of work i did was an artificial intelligence for unreal tournament style bots, and youre there writing youre own raytrader - nifty as anything
  • I've had a go at houdini. Our lecturer at Uni was straight out from the visual effects industry and it was his advice to get familiar with it as it is the piece of software that can set you apart from others within the industry. It's very hardcore, but it is awesome at 3d partical based effects. I went to some lectures where he taught it but I was so tied up in my own work I couldn't fit the time in to go as often as I would have liked.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Tada!  I was well pleased when my own code wrote this - no Direct X, no shaders, no graphics card, just raw "write this colour to this offset into video memory". This was how I earned my geek stripes back in 2001 :-)
    it took you 12 years to get from that to this....
    http://www.positronicarts.com/games/unity/bounce/proto2/WebPlayer.html
    ;)

my 3d modelling skills start and end with play-doh...
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Hey Gunn, good to see you again as well. Am mainly using the laptop these days, think it doesn't have skype yet, will get that fixed. Bas is still busy doing sfx for a documentary so is keeping the super pc for himself most nights haha.

Definitely interested in your ideas, even though everything is so uncertain for me at the moment.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    ...that is the full extent of my artistic talent

Wot? Apart from the award winning Edge game? : P
  • I have got the nod at work to move onto Cinema4D, just need to work out some pricing :D
  • Nina wrote:
    Hey Gunn, good to see you again as well. Am mainly using the laptop these days, think it doesn't have skype yet, will get that fixed. Bas is still busy doing sfx for a documentary so is keeping the super pc for himself most nights haha. Definitely interested in your ideas, even though everything is so uncertain for me at the moment.

No worries! You could be terribly handy for a few things but, ill get by. I just your pretty intense style of modelling makes it very strong, you gotta get every last bit perfect. Brofist bas for me also btw, or whever you guys do over there, hope his work is keeping him lively and deffo say thanks again for the tracks he volunteers for enjoy, they were perfect, really if only we had time to get stuff like that perfect
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Bump...

Was browsing the Blender boards recently, and found this still life...

attachment.php?attachmentid=257845&d=1378383599

Here's the wireframe...

attachment.php?attachmentid=257948&d=1378416269

Apparently, the spaghetti was modelled with an applied rigid body simulation...
    I thought that was quite a smart idea.

Not sure which renderer was used for the finish (it could be the internal Blender renderer, but you can never tell these days).

Worchester
  • For anyone that works with vector art - infinite zoominess apparently: http://www.madewithmischief.com/

//player.vimeo.com/video/68531946
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Never knew about that... That looks very impressive.

More of a tool for traditional/digital painters though, no?
    All the more amazing for it...
  • Relocated from the Work thread
    monkey wrote:
    Have you started using C4D yet Live? I'm looking to learn a more complete 3D package and not sure what to go for. My options are slightly limited in that I can only go on versions of any software that might not be completely legit. Modo looks ok and not too tricky for beginners. Can't get a working copy of Maya which was my first choice. Might just go with Blender. Help.
    @monkey Yeah I have been using 3DS still but trying to do more and more in C4D. I highly recommend cinema4D, it is a fantastic bit of software. Do you have an industry in mind that you want to go into/develop? For games it is 3ds all the way, motion graphics go for c4d etc. I have struggled to find a wink wink nudge nudge version of vray for c4d but c4dr14 is easy enough to get. Cgpersia is your friend.

Live, you're my sexy 3D hero. CGPersia came up with a version of Maya that actually activated and a whole load of other shit that's caning my broadband connection as we speak.

The project I'm thinking about doing is a strictly free time thing and might be a bit ambitious so we'll see. It's a children's book thing for tablets. Basically a load of animations with button prompts to play the next one. Something like this (with the exception that this was done by a professional studio, not one novice in his free time).

I can do the code wrapper for it easy enough. So all that's left to do is learn and then do all the modelling, rigging, animation and rendering. Easy. Although none of it is going to be especially complicated - more like a 3D version of Spot the Dog, quite simple models and animation, so hopefully it's not too ambitious to try it all.

Anyway, from a bit of research Maya seemed like the best bet for this sort of end-to-end thing, and I did use it once briefly in the dim and distant past for messing around with some animation so thought there'd be a shorter learning curve to it. Plus I've already got a load of acquired learning material for it to help me along. It seems a bit easier to move assets back and forth between it and ZBrush as well and ZBrush is something I can at least use a bit if I need to.

I haven't started any of this so if any one wants to chip in with why I'm wrong about any of it or got some better suggestions then feel free. I know people spend their whole careers doing something like rigging so am I being naive with the work I'm taking on?
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I personally think that advanced character rigging may well be a more complicated art than programming. But it's a close run thing. Professional TD work is one of the hardest things to do in computing, IMO.

Anyway, rather than ZBrush, you could consider this:
    http://pixologic.com/sculptris/

Even if you don't use it, it's quite inspirational... It's was made by one bloke (in a Cave Story esque fashion), and proved to be so good, that the ZBrush makers bought him out...

As a condition of his buyout, he insisted on keeping his original work as freeware.
    It's actually very, very good. Feels as smooth as fuck.
    As you're starting out on something new, there can be no harm in trying it out. :)
  • Sounds good dyna. Always hated zbrush interface, too dark.
  • I'll take a look at sculptris. Really like ZBrush though so it would have to be something pretty special to replace it.
  • I dunno where to put this but as its 3d and the reason ive been gone for a few weeks

• I had to use 3DS today briefly after about 5 minths of using Cinema4D.

Christ Max is ugly as fuck!
    It also takes an age to open heavy files.

I really dont want to have to go back.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I had to use 3DS today briefly after about 5 minths of using Cinema4D.

Christ Max is ugly as fuck!
    It also takes an age to open heavy files.

I really dont want to have to go back.

The load times are why I didn't rush back to it...

That said, I tend to use the open source alternative to just about everything.
    Even Photoshop. And I accept that's the best in it's class...

Wish I learnt Maya though.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!