3D Modelling/CAD
  • Maya has some nice features bit the nodal texturing system gets on my tits. I switched Max straight back to menu systems when the introduced it.
    It is great for complex materials but a pain for working quickly.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    nodal texturing system gets on my tits.
    Yeah... Blender has a similar system, but it's optional.

As for Max, I like the material editor alot, but UV work in the program confused me for a long time... I grokked it eventually, but it was painful.

The thing about Maya though, is that it's so prevalent, that I feel that I'm missing out not knowing it. But I think it all means very little these days, tbh. 

I'm sure a profession team of artists/animators could probably draw Pacific Rim 2 in Caligari Truespace, if you pay them right and give them a bit of time...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • It is the renderers that hold programmes back.
    Vray has become pretty dominant now, there are a few others to but if software isn't supported by the major players then they just can't become pro tools.

The massive studios often write their own renderers but then their versions of max, maya etc are pretty far removed from the out of the box versions anyway.

At the end of the day, if you want a job in 3D then the easiest way is to learn an Autodesk bit of software. That being said it is all largely the same principles, switching from Max to C4D took about a week of getting used to it.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I tried out one of these for the first time yesterday...

Very, interesting... 

Fascinating, in fact.

But impossible to even begin to understand without an entire day's practice at the least, as the modeller's UI is not at all structured in the same way as Maya/Max/Blender... 

It's all very idiosyncratic, and needs a very powerful system to run it. What's more, mesh sizes are calculated on the fly, though ZBrush and it's ilk do work in a similar manner. 

Wish I had the chance to work with one on the regs.

Since the time I first read about them (in Edge, of course), the entry level price has tumbled from a cool £25,000, to about £3000...

If I was earning a fair amount more and had some disposable time, I'd seriously consider buying one, if only to learn the extent of it. It felt extremely awkward at first, and one 5 minute session raised more questions than it answered, but it's definitely a very practical piece of kit. 

I doubt it would improve my work directly (like, on some Rodin shit), but I think it would mesmerise a classically trained draughtsman/sculptor.
  • That looks like an immense headache from a starter perspective but i'm sure they suit sculpting after some time with it hugely - 3 grand isnt awful for high tech modelling gear anyways

Interesting to and fro about software, ive been all max for 13-14 years and ive grown to hate it but cant get my head into anything nice, like heady i wish id learnt with maya as those two were the contenders at the time (maybe softimage also).

I've been looking hard at Modo now and even watched some training on it, and trying to force myself into Zbrushes UI more and more. Despite Zbrush being sometimes incomprehensible to a beginner its approach to UI does make sense, completely customisable, very friendly for the initiated and some of its tools are now so unique and so useful it's becoming outright indispensible particularly for videogames - dynamesh and remesh to name but two features that make just about anything do-able and get round most of the traditional difficulties found with sculpting apps. Mudbox, however, is gaining ground there too with some very inviting features for painting, but then if you want painting you could look at Mari.. it goes on forever.

Not to even start on the newer straight-up videogame-centric texturing tools like Substance Designer/Painter and Quixel Suite that are without doubt remarkable and gamechanging pieces of software.

And there's headus for the UVW work and wotnot.

I suppose i'll find myself using a proper personal collection the more i get back into the art side after being more generalist and light on everything for so long, mainly excited at getting something made that i can go at with Quixel atm for game use, just need to justify whatever i make as going towards a larger goal, as there's a pile of evermotion scenes i need to process into Unity-friendly things for that larger goal

CGPersia is a lovely place, and its sister site CGPeers.com should without doubt be investigated at the turn of the the month as that's usually when it takes new people on...
  • My lecturer at uni had one of those dealies dyno is on about.
    They are indeed a head fuck but very very cool.

As a middle ground I would highly recommend anyone doing 3d to invest in a 3d mouse. They make zooming into certs and general panning around a dream.
    Getting one was also the key to me switching between different packages easily. Half the battle for me was always re adjusting to the viewport panning shortcuts.

I haven't properly used Max in a while now, it feels almost Soviet in its brutal approach in comparison to sexy c4d.
  • I have had it up to here with Cinema 4D.
    Fucking fed up with its shite render engine and mental layout of everything.

Going Maya to Max was a challenge but getting anything working in C4D is a nightmare. Even with Vray it is shit.
    Nothing makes sense. 8 days on the thing and my wrist/index finger are totally fucked from the excessive menus.
    Can't wait for this project to be over. A solid 5 weeks back using max up next.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Been trying to rekindle my interest in 3D again, and found this...

Blender's has a pretty versatile toolset now... The camera matching stuff here looks excellent... but then I've always liked the modelling and sculpting tools (since version 2.55, I think...). I wonder if it's being used anywhere else?
  • I've not seen much want for it in pro scenarios but in education it is very popular, for obvious reasons.
    Long term it will gain traction I think. It is good software but always a bit behind the curve by its nature.
    Half the work I do could easily be done in Blender, I just know 3ds better so stick to that.
    Plus Auto desk have a very, very loose attitude to piracy.
    Auto desk know they make enough off big, western studios and let the smaller or Eastern piracy slide.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Been a while since I've been in here... Was never the most popular thread either, and well, this thread will never be the same with Gunn. :'[

But I remember he was quite familiar with early PBR implementations... Just catching up with some of this now, because almost every 3D application has introduced some form of it in the last year or two.

Anyone else a little confused by switching from diffuse/specular to 'metal based' workflows?

Also, what tools/features are you all using commonly these days?
  • Have been using Vray for years now so PBR workflow is fairly standard, although how deep I get into it depends a lot on the project.

I try not to get too hung up on getting every setting spot on for every material. Generally just focus on reflection glossiness, refraction IOR etc. I think the hardest thing with PBR is the fact it uses real world units, so you might change one parameter by increments of single units, another by 100ths of a unit and a third by thousands of units.
    The advantage for myself, especially in architectural work, is I can be given real world data such as the Kelvin of a light bulb that's actually specified.

I've just switched from Vray being my primary engine to using redshift which is a gpu powered engine. I love it, getting basically the same results as vray but much faster. This last project I have been using iiradiance point Cloud rendering for animation as well, which is considerably faster than just using brute force.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Bit of a redundant post... Been invited to a careers advice meetup hosted by one of the larger UK FX studios. I'm way, way off the standard (whatever the standard is these days), but would still like to know what the standard is.
  • Sounds good, I would go along if I was you.
    Which studio is it? (if you don't mind saying)
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Framestore. It's was an open invitation, but places got snapped up early.
    Seeing as I know you're interested, if I spot anything of the like in the future, I'll hit you up. :]
  • Cheers man
    Yeah I have spotted their open things before on Linkedin but have always had plans (lol more like over running deadlines) when they are on.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Just got back... That was fucking mint.
    The showreel breakdowns were especially enthralling.

The woman was RUTHLESS. 
    They really do only care about the first 30 seconds...

I'm not sure if I'm wholly encouraged or discouraged here... It would take a lot of time and work to meet the standard for any of the categories they explored with the reels... But it's not a completely unobtainable standard either...

All in all, very glad I attended.
  • Excellent.
    It can always be a bit daunting but if you treat it as a goal there are steps along the way.
    30 seconds does make sense I guess, that is how long TV adverts are, it's enough to reject someone on.

I find what they do interesting but those big places aren't really for me.
    The senior from my first job ended up working there for a bit and left to freelance instead, he was of the same mind set as me, prefer owning smaller projects, but it's each to their own.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I'd be much the same, I think. 

I've worked a large creative company before as a web developer... I can imagine that the culture is quite similar, as the corporate structure, at least, sounded very familiar... For the ad department at least.

The appeal of working on something potentially famous though, is extremely appealing. And the timescales associated with feature film fx would give space for a level a creativity that I've always aspired to... And when you're lucky, a place like that is a fantastic environment in which to learn...

But in an ideal world, I'd like more freedom than I believe a place like that would give me. 
    It would be a pressure cooker.

I'm keen enough to at least try to put together some work to apply though.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Not quite finished yet, and it may remain that way, but wondered what some of you think of this:

IrGTapch.png

For the record, it's a girl (toddler).

All crits' welcome, trying to get them in before I can sum up the courage to show the parents.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Hate to be that guy, but even negative critque would be helpful. :]
  • Anything specific you want us to look at? Textures, modelling, lighting?

Looks good to me though generally. I think my only criticism would be that the proportions of the face look older than a toddler, and the hair looks too thick for a toddler but I could be off on that.

I like the grain but that might just be the test render so understand of the final version is going to be noiseless.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Hey... Cheers!

Yeah... Many have had different things to say about the anatomy, particularly the wideness of the eyes.
    I also suspect it's the colour and shape of the lips that do much to give the impression of an older subject.

Glad you like the grain effect, that was intentional, because the final render had a waxy look to it.

Think it will be a good laugh to show the parents, but I shouldn't rush to print it off...
  • Not quite sure what you're trying to achieve beyond abject horror.
  • You scare easy fam.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • For the parents.
  • Looking good mate, still a bit in that uncanny valley area but better than I have ever done.

As for the waxiness. I guess you are using a subsurface scattering shader? Might be a case of tweaking settings, those things are always an arse to get right because test renders take so long.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I guess you are using a subsurface scattering shader?

Kinda'... It's a composite material with a small touch of SSS in it. I could muck around with it a little more, but I think it's time put a fork in this piece.
    Unlikely wrote:
    Not quite sure what you're trying to achieve beyond abject horror.

See, that's my suspicion...

Technically, it's reasonable. As a piece of art though, it's a little unnerving. Even though it's far from the best example of the uncanny valley.

Good exercise for learning the whole PBR thing though.

Thanks for the comments. :]
  • The Blender 2.8 Beta is available now, and it looks really rather swish. Much of the UI seems to have been vastly improved, far more sensible now for people getting into it. I've dabbled with Blender before, but always found trying to do anything really complex in terms of composition really off-putting, the interface was a right shambles in places. Some great new stuff that makes the viewport much more usable now too, part 2 and 3 shows off some of that. Looking forward to getting back into it now.

Saw this earlier too, wish I'd know about it before as it combines a bunch of other things, which would have simplified something that I was trying to do a while ago. Useful if you're aiming for photorealism anyway -

• Interesting that Gurt, will have a deep dive later tomorrow.
    Do they mention 4k setups at all?
    I'm just about done with 3DS Max now, Autodesk's support is a joke and I find it barely usable even with 4k work arounds.
    C4D is better but not ideal.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!