3D Modelling/CAD
  • Thanks, although I think there are some crossed wires here - I am frustrated about something else at the minute. Kitchen time has passed.
  • "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Forgot add, if you've tried that already and it wasn't what you were after, apologies if it sounded like I was trying to teach you to suck eggs.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Align sucks, can't get it to work as intended.

Anyway I decided to just sack it off and finish the render up instead

84054902_3220748514606556_3210709489388879872_n.png?_nc_cat=109&_nc_oc=AQnETOB_3yX8iQQK6TUO512fY_4BAL5rbH9bE9llZ4ZDEvTBRssgIq40nP18RT5V7Uw&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-1.xx&oh=c2a3dc7d8ea0a8dd14597fe69e0f20f8&oe=5EC45B25
  • Everyone and their dog is going on about "starting Blender" now. I have the latest update ready to launch, might give its sculpting tools a go as they seem pretty good compared to Mudbox.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I'm keen to give Grease pencil a go
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • So I didn’t get graded for my kitchen... I remember speaking to Eddie (my lecturer) about the kitchen hand in that i’d done via dropbox because I was ill at the time of hand in, and he said he had it.

Then I got an email from him on the 11th that I missed cos I was at work saying he didn’t have anything and he had to have it all on server that day (which i couldn’t have done cos... I ahd an interview/ was at work) and so I have been graded as FAIL - to resubmit.

I beleive this means I just carry on as is, and resubmit before final grading. sort of annoying, but the blame is in both people's court as far as I can tell. You shouldn't tell a student you've received their work if you haven't, and equally I should have sought written confirmation of receipt of the work.

Ah well. Got 73/100 for my Compositing stuff which as I understand it is an OK grade for a Masters?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Tedious, but if final grading is what matters hopefully ok??
  • That is really frustrating about your submission Temps.
    Are you able to improve or update it in the mean time if you found time for it? Could be a silver lining.

I am trying to muster up the effort to rig the right foot of a biped I am making. I did the left foot yesterday and it was more than a bit dull. I hate rigging but wanted to build my own so I know the full functionality of it.
  • Only got 7 weeks left so better get on my projects eh!

Early days sculpting in Blender.

Not given UV unwrapping much thought yet though... whoops!

unknown.png

unknown.png
  • Looks like good progress. Liking the spine structure.
    3D sculpture is not my forte so can't comment much on technical.
  • Wanted it initially to be more Robot like, but it's ended up quite organic.
  • There's a lot of neat addons that can help with certain types of modelling, worth having a look around.
  • Uncertainty with Uni and Work has put a real pin in my progress. I've started and destroyed a few sculpts, and have been practicing with Ev's graphics tablet.

After a few dozen hours of attempts and videos watched, I think I have settled on taking primitives, subdividing them, and then messing with the vertexes to get base shapes. Will be merging everything soon, and then sculpting detail onto it. Grease Pencil was a bit of a revelation last night, with symmetry on it turns even cackhanded artists like myself into people capable of doing good design!

IDHb86e.png

8tXebvA.png

Still unsure on how the Retopo flow will work, as a lot of people seem to exclusively texture in blender, but I specifically need to bake a high poly mesh onto a low poly mesh as part of the coursework, so I may need to export back to Max at some point. I really do enjoy Sculpting though, far more than hard surface modelling. Blender is nice and intuitive too, find myself using shortcuts far more than in Max, but it might just be that i've watched better videos on it.
  • I think running the bake through 3DS max is fine as a workflow tbh.
    Given that Max doesn't have sculpting tools it is a normal process if you were using Z Brush or Mudbox.
  • Ye, just wish I could paint it in Blender, cos it seems fun!
  • Can't help you there man. I downloaded Blender the other day and really struggled with doing anything in it.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Blender has always been build around using shortcuts, so it's not that odd that you're using them a lot! It's also a good thing you jumped in when they redid the whole interface, things are supposed to be a bit more normal now (I haven't tried it yet).
  • Retopologising is the absolute fuck
  • What are you struggling with? trying to eliminate tris?
  • It just takes ages to do it manually, and I keep accidentally getting spirals.
  • Yeah it is pretty rough. I think it is one of those things where the more you do it the easier it is to see the optimum way.
    I've not really done it too much for soft body work.

I'm not sure how strict they will be on marking for this but something I was taught is that sometimes you just can't gedt rid of a triangle, in that scenario try to move it along so the pinch it causes is hidden. So under a hat/hair, deep inside the mouth or inside an overhang.
  • Very long time to do this, was really expecting it to be a few days, but it took me a week, Down from 459,000 tris to 15,000. Hands were a fucking NIGHTMARE. I really should have gone way simpler for this, oh well!

uX89GeW.png

nQkSXTV.png
  • Nice one Tempy.
    Hopefully you learnt things along the way, even if it was to approach things from a different angle next time.

I have knuckled down to my Unreal training again. Decided that is gonna be my thing to do in this lockdown.
  • We're on our way. Let's not talk about how I only have 6 weeks to finish this (and an entire game environment)

unknown.png
  • Do you have to rig it?
  • Thankfully, no.
  • Dodged a bullet there.
    Perhaps with the environment go for something that can be achieved to a presentable state quickly but added to later.

So something like a space ship interior that is mostly flat, non-organic shapes and surfaces. Then add to it with some destruction or piles of aliens guts etc.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    That's a shame, making a good rig is a lot of fun ( but really a job on it's own, I think Guerilla had two riggers and they were / are both Italian and called Daniella.)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!