Kids, and the stuff that they do
  • Plan_M wrote:
    Me and the missus had been trying for a kid for ages, so much so that I gave up hope. But she woke me up on Mothers Day to tell me she's got a scone in the oven and our first scan is on Friday. Extremely nervous and excited about the whole thing.

wow, really excited for you. The scan is cool, it gives you the first point of connection - make sure you get a picture mate. Congrautlations!!
  • daviedigi wrote:
    congrats dean, revel, plan m, and mark.

flip me - we get our next scan on the 30th mate - you due about the 15th october then?
  • Plan_M wrote:
    Thanks guys :) Frantic - its the 12 week one although we also had a 6 week scan because my wife thought there might have been a problem initially. They found the heartbeat though and everything was normal as far as 6 week scans go (the hospital couldn't take any measurements or give us an arrival date so it didn't feel like a proper scan to me). The biggy is this Friday though and I am extremely anxious about it. Which reminds me. My wife doesn't want to tell friends and distant family until the first scan (12 week) is out of the way. Is this the norm? I have told my mum and brothers but that's it. How long did our resident B&B fathers wait to tell everyone?

'Yeah - that's the norm. There are so many things that they don't tell you though.  Most dangerous times are around 4, 8 and 12 weeks because that is the time when the period is due again and the greatest chance of miscarriage. - that's why they measure the time from the last period.  Its likely that there can be continued slight bleeding during those ties but it can be seen as normal - that's why they can offer a reassurance scan at 6-7 weeks - they will be able to tell if there is possible issues. 
    I only know this because we lost one last year in August.  And this one is with my new wife and its her first. I have two from a previous marriage,
    Hope it goes well though - the next generation of gamers begins NOW..
  • Thanks Revel - sorry to hear about your bad news, can't even begin to imagine what it must have been like for you both.
    Yeah, wait until the contractions kick in!

Yep, I've got the mood swings to come, she's already warned me! But I think the major reason for her being so happy is that we waited for so long for it to happen whilst all of our friends were having babies left, right and centre. It's been a really tough few years for us, especially the wife.

• g.man wrote:
    Ahahaha, he's gorgeous mate! oh, and congratulations Revel! g.man
    thanks g.man :)
    Congrats Plan_M, Revel and Davie! Plan_M, Elmlea and I told his parents at around 10 weeks, my parents at 16 weeks. We told Elm's parents a little earlier as I had a high risk pregnancy with Nim and we knew they'd be lovely and supportive.

Cheers Sublime
  • Yep I missed Sublime - thanks for the congrats :)
  • Plan_M wrote:
    Thanks Revel - sorry to hear about your bad news, can't even begin to imagine what it must have been like for you both.
    Yep, I've got the mood swings to come, she's already warned me! But I think the major reason for her being so happy is that we waited for so long for it to happen whilst all of our friends were having babies left, right and centre. It's been a really tough few years for us, especially the wife.

I think its tough because Its something that is a complete taboo in terms of discussing it. Its almost like a no go area , like you shouldn't talk about it.   
    Glad it happened for you though. kids are a blessing.
  • 398952_10150918692724460_663559459_11715079_194920761_n.jpg
    Here is my 6 year old - getting rid of the moss , like a boss.

Though, he is already working through LittleBig planet, Lego Star wars and Mariokart. He has a DS lite and a Wii at his mums house. 
    He watched all of Star Wars iv to vi when he was 3 weeks old. 
    He is f**king awesome.
  • Plan_M wrote:
    Thanks Revel - sorry to hear about your bad news, can't even begin to imagine what it must have been like for you both.

I think its tough because Its something that is a complete taboo in terms of discussing it. Its almost like a no go area , like you shouldn't talk about it.   
    Glad it happened for you though. kids are a blessing.

Thanks again man :)

• Oooooh, more good news! Congratulations to Plan_M and Davie.

all the best

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Plan_M wrote:

I'm teasing! ;-) It's all worth it.

Kels and I went through similar issues, it got to the point where Kels was virtually begging a doctor to put us through for treatment.

I week before we were due at the clinic for tests, a home pregnancy test showed up as positive. Kels phoned the clinic to apologise because we had to cancel our appointment lol...

The second one (now two weeks old) seemed to appear with no problems at all.

360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • g.man wrote:
    Oooooh, more good news! Congratulations to Plan_M and Davie.

all the best

g.man

Thanks! :)

That's good to hear, Optimark :)
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    daviedigi wrote:
    congrats dean, revel, plan m, and mark.
    flip me - we get our next scan on the 30th mate - you due about the 15th october then?

due the 16th october it's also the same date as my girlfriends birthday!

thanks everyone.
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • This is my favourite thread. just sayin'
  • It seems Alex is finally starting to form words. We were watching Cbeebies just before bed time last night, and a woman called Shelley was going to read the bedtime story, so we said to him 'Say 'Hi Shelley'.' And straight away he said 'Ai She-ey.'.
    To make sure this wasn't a one-off, once she was done we told him to say 'Bye Shelley.' And lo and behold, he did it. Well, his version at least. Instead of saying bye he says 'Goh.' So we got a 'Goh She-ey.'
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Lol awesome, wont be long until hes asking for your car keys. I can't wait to see what my little man has to say.

Congrats to everyone that is expecting btw, I'd neglected to do so. You're all in for a treat.
    Hairlo?
  • Olivias turning over, she gets stressed because she can't get her arm out from underneath her and she can't turn back onto her back yet but she's getting there :) Her lungs are also growing as she can make alot more noise now when she cries!

Anyone got any tips or advice on bathtime? We're winging it our way atm but i'd be keen to hear how others have bathed their littluns (shes 4.5 months).
    Currently playing; Mario Maker and Clash Royale
  • mk64 wrote:
    Olivias turning over, she gets stressed because she can't get her arm out from underneath her and she can't turn back onto her back yet but she's getting there :) Her lungs are also growing as she can make alot more noise now when she cries! Anyone got any tips or advice on bathtime? We're winging it our way atm but i'd be keen to hear how others have bathed their littluns (shes 4.5 months).

Keep it brief as possible unless they have had a stinker of a nappy. I dunno if you have considered some kind of baby massage? Nothing too crazy just use baby lotion and rub very gently clockwise around her tummy to help get rid of bottom wind and even shift any other stuck wind. I found it was great to get my one to settle and get them into a wind down routine for bedtime - yeah - it takes longer but when they drop off - they drop off for a long time. 
    turn the TV off as well. The bright lights always distracted both of mine. 
    dunno if that is any use.
  • Congrats to Plan_M and Davie! 

@mk64
    If you're still using the little bath for Olivia, I'd say it's time to move on to the big bath. In our experience, Sophie HATED the little bath. In the big bath, she's got the freedom to move and discovering how to make splashes was pretty much the best thing ever for her. 

We put in enough sudsy water that it will cover her ears when she's on her back but not her belly – shallow, but enough. Use one of those plastic thermometers that you use in the water. Our mistake with the little bath, before we got the thermometer, was being over-careful and not having warm enough water...making her cry when she was taken out into the even colder air. Bad parents!

She had a touch of cradle cap when she was younger so we used a lotion for that every two or three days. Now it's just the usual Johnson's.

We let her play a lot in the bath as it's a good way to tire her out before bedtime. Two cloths for washing – one extra soft sponge for her face (which she usually ends up chewing on) and a stack of soft flannel cloths for the rest of her. Baths don't usually last more than 10 minutes maybe 15 if she's having an especially splashy time.

Then it's out of the bath, wrapped up in a warm towel, dried off quickly, popped into a fresh nappy, onesie and sleep-suit. Then it's a bottle, cuddle and BAM she's out for 10-12 hours.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    We got a seat for Elliot in the bath. He went from hating bathtime to loving it as he could sit and splash and still see what was going on around. Best thing we've bought so far.
    Hairlo?
  • Congrats to Plan_M and Davie! 

@mk64
    If you're still using the little bath for Olivia, I'd say it's time to move on to the big bath. In our experience, Sophie HATED the little bath. In the big bath, she's got the freedom to move and discovering how to make splashes was pretty much the best thing ever for her. 

We put in enough sudsy water that it will cover her ears when she's on her back but not her belly – shallow, but enough. Use one of those plastic thermometers that you use in the water. Our mistake with the little bath, before we got the thermometer, was being over-careful and not having warm enough water...making her cry when she was taken out into the even colder air. Bad parents!

She had a touch of cradle cap when she was younger so we used a lotion for that every two or three days. Now it's just the usual Johnson's.

We let her play a lot in the bath as it's a good way to tire her out before bedtime. Two cloths for washing – one extra soft sponge for her face (which she usually ends up chewing on) and a stack of soft flannel cloths for the rest of her. Baths don't usually last more than 10 minutes maybe 15 if she's having an especially splashy time.

Then it's out of the bath, wrapped up in a warm towel, dried off quickly, popped into a fresh nappy, onesie and sleep-suit. Then it's a bottle, cuddle and BAM she's out for 10-12 hours.

hmm, thats interesting (and helpful). We had a seat and was filling it up enough to keep her head out of the water (which entails her tummy). However my wife said it was time to get her into the big bath and so we've been doing that without the seat. Meaning i'm leaning over (knelt down outside the bath) holding her in the bath which is fucking hard work especially when she starts kicking. I like this idea of putting just enough in to cover her a bit and then she can actually lay on the bottom flat and splish splash.

Cheers!

Currently playing; Mario Maker and Clash Royale
  • You've already heard it a million times before, but every baby is different. You'll figure out what works. Laying her on the bottom of the bath was the way to go for our little one – just make sure to keep the temperature comfortable and even and the water nice and shallow. 

Good luck! 

And I may have made it sound easy to get her to sleep. Sometimes it takes her a good 45-60 minutes to switch off properly...
  • Harrison doesn't like lying on his back in the bath, but loves sitting up and splashing around.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Ford?
  • one thing I am concerned about is being totally fucked over for both maternity and paternity pay. 
    The UK seems to be the only country that penalises people for having kids. 

I can't expect my boss to give me holidays and 2 weeks full pay. 

rant rant etc etc .

My missus said she felt the wee one kick yesterday :D
  • Ireland isn't great for paternity either – it's at the discretion of the company you're with. I was lucky – I took two weeks holidays, and they gave me an extra week of paid leave. They were also pretty understanding about having to take the odd day off or asking to work from home at short notice. Things were rough at the beginning! 

Mind you, one of the bosses was asking if I could come in and do some work about ten days after the little one was born. Said no. Madness!

Look at Sweden's benefits for paternity & maternity leave, then weep.
  • My missus said she felt the wee one kick yesterday :D

Awesome.
  • Ireland isn't great for paternity either – it's at the discretion of the company you're with. I was lucky – I took two weeks holidays, and they gave me an extra week of paid leave. They were also pretty understanding about having to take the odd day off or asking to work from home at short notice. Things were rough at the beginning!  Mind you, one of the bosses was asking if I could come in and do some work about ten days after the little one was born. Said no. Madness! Look at Sweden's benefits for paternity & maternity leave, then weep.

I can't... It hurts more than The Phantom Menace..
  • g.man wrote:
    Ford?

Sadly he doesn't bathe in my house :(
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Yeh, my wife has been on maternity since August and it's starting to get a bit tight now. We're fine, just had to watch the cash a bit more closely.

She's decided to go back part time, mainly to spend more time with Elliot, but also because of the cost of child care. Seems pointless her going back full time, neither of us seeing Elliot during the day for 5 days a week, and then spending a fortune on a child minder.

I say child minder, we're still unsure whether to pick that or nursery. I think I prefer child minder.
    Hairlo?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!