Kids, and the stuff that they do
  • Bob wrote:
    So luke pearsons ‘Hilda’ series is now a cartoon on netflix.
    Had a go on this. I thought it was fascinating and will deffo watch.

    I'm a huge fan of the books, and had a quick look at the series - so far it appears to do it justice.  (Even if Hilda's voice doesn't match the one in my head.)  Most importantly Twig remains awesome.
  • And theme music by Grimes.. that's achingly trendy right there!
    Feets, Don't fail me now!
  • Completely feel you on that, Wookie. When Cub shouts daddy! when I get in it's the best thing.
    Yeah, these are some of the best moments. When mine was about 2 and half i had to go away for a few days with work, got back just at bed time. The way her face lit up when i walked in her room, and she just threw herself off her bed to get to me for a cuddle was just awesome and still burns in my memory.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • No cuddle chat from me today, had a major bust up with Tilly last night.  It started with a disagreement over whether she should have a bath - she didn't want to get a 1mm flap of skin of the back of her ankle wet -  moved swiftly into Failed Firm Parenting Attempt (part of which was accidentally putting a plaster on THE WRONG FOOT which caused more screaming), and snowballed into a scene where she was sobbing on the sofa, saying to her mum "I thought daddy was my best friend, but now he's chosen another partner".

    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFT.
    You have minecraft?
  • OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFT.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • tin_robot wrote:
    Bob wrote:
    So luke pearsons ‘Hilda’ series is now a cartoon on netflix.
    Had a go on this. I thought it was fascinating and will deffo watch.

    I'm a huge fan of the books, and had a quick look at the series - so far it appears to do it justice.  (Even if Hilda's voice doesn't match the one in my head.)  Most importantly Twig remains awesome.

    Yeah the voice threw me a bit too, but it did grow on me.

    I was worried about the animation quality (as most animated series these days aren’t great) but it looks very nice. Guess they are using puppet rigging and filling in any blanks? I think that’s how sarah and duck do it... anyway yes more importantly my daughter loves it.
  • OOOOOOOOFFFTTTTTT
    (edit @moot)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    No cuddle chat from me today, had a major bust up with Tilly last night.  It started with a disagreement over whether she should have a bath - she didn't want to get a 1mm flap of skin of the back of her ankle wet -  moved swiftly into Failed Firm Parenting Attempt (part of which was accidentally putting a plaster on THE WRONG FOOT which caused more screaming), and snowballed into a scene where she was sobbing on the sofa, saying to her mum "I thought daddy was my best friend, but now he's chosen another partner".

    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFT.

    Maaaaan. Yeah my eldest is the best at guilt tripping. “I was happy today, but now I’m sad and I don’t want to be sad today, guess I’ll go upstairs and be sad forever”.

    ...it lasts about 5 minutes before she apologises and forgets the whole thing. Once we left her for half and hour and that was torture (she bit her sister).
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    No cuddle chat from me today, had a major bust up with Tilly last night.  It started with a disagreement over whether she should have a bath - she didn't want to get a 1mm flap of skin of the back of her ankle wet -  moved swiftly into Failed Firm Parenting Attempt (part of which was accidentally putting a plaster on THE WRONG FOOT which caused more screaming), and snowballed into a scene where she was sobbing on the sofa, saying to her mum "I thought daddy was my best friend, but now he's chosen another partner". OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFT.

    Bath time is a constant struggle. He likes the bath he likes getting in.. but fuck me does he cry about getting his eyes wet and I'm like well close them then.. I don't want my hair washed, I don't want my face washed. Just close your eyes and it'll be ok.. followed by you got my eyes wettttttttttttttttttttttttttt..  I want mummmmmmy.....
    Feets, Don't fail me now!
  • Emotional suckerpunches are going to be a weakness in my game.  I'm happy enough chuckling away when she trolls my wife, so I guess I deserve it.  20 mins after we'd patched it up I was still knee deep in the swamps of sadness, so I decided to take it out on my wife.  Something like "can you turn this crap off and help me get her ready for bed?", followed by a quick rant about the programme she was watching (Frank Lampard's wife saves people money). A childish strop of my own, basically.  Tilly threw her hands in the air and said "what's up with dad??" while making eye contact with my wife, like the annoying precocious child from Modern Family.  This will not stand.
    You have minecraft?
  • Bob wrote:
    He likes the bath he likes getting in.. but fuck me does he cry about getting his eyes wet and I'm like well close them then.. I don't want my hair washed, I don't want my face washed. Just close your eyes and it'll be ok.. followed by you got my eyes wettttttttttttttttttttttttttt..  I want mummmmmmy.....

    Well this all sounds familiar.
  • Bathtime is often a nightmare if it involves a hair wash, it's the eyes with Tilly too.  We've tried a frog visor, swimming goggles and even swimming goggles + a frog visor in the past.  I've had less time for it since she spent most of the summer diving for coins in the shallow end of a swimming pool, occasionally without goggles.
    You have minecraft?
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    quick rant about the programme she was watching (Frank Lampard's wife saves people money). .

    On a side note that was a load of fucking shite. Next time you buy them tablets don't buy Apple. Save £££s! Fucking great work guys.. Kids "we wouldn't change to these as we'd get the fucking shite kicked out of us everyday at school now we are wearing the cheap coats you recommended earlier.
    Feets, Don't fail me now!
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Bob wrote:
    He likes the bath he likes getting in.. but fuck me does he cry about getting his eyes wet and I'm like well close them then.. I don't want my hair washed, I don't want my face washed. Just close your eyes and it'll be ok.. followed by you got my eyes wettttttttttttttttttttttttttt..  I want mummmmmmy.....
    Well this all sounds familiar.

    Any water on the Boy’s face and he goes mental. Have to somehow shelter his face while washing hair (and give face a quick wipe later) or have flannel/towel at the ready in case a drop gets on his face.
    "But enough talk. HAVE AT YOU!"
  • Bob wrote:
    quick rant about the programme she was watching (Frank Lampard's wife saves people money). .
    On a side note that was a load of fucking shite. Next time you buy them tablets don't buy Apple. Save £££s! Fucking great work guys.. Kids "we wouldn't change to these as we'd get the fucking shite kicked out of us everyday at school now we are wearing the cheap coats you recommended earlier.

    It's snobbery in reverse.  I can handle the ones where they try to get families to change their brand of frozen chicken nuggets, but when 11yr olds and their dads claim to need 4 bottles of £120 aftershave apiece I struggle to watch in silence, even though I try not to give a shit.
    You have minecraft?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

    Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Emotional suckerpunches are going to be a weakness in my game.  I'm happy enough chuckling away when she trolls my wife, so I guess I deserve it.  20 mins after we'd patched it up I was still knee deep in the swamps of sadness, so I decided to take it out on my wife.  Something like "can you turn this crap off and help me get her ready for bed?", followed by a quick rant about the programme she was watching (Frank Lampard's wife saves people money). A childish strop of my own, basically.  Tilly threw her hands in the air and said "what's up with dad??" while making eye contact with my wife, like the annoying precocious child from Modern Family.  This will not stand.

    Oh, I get this all the time. "no daddy, mummy's right, stop it".

    The best one though is when I'm getting a bit of a strop on and get a "daddy, when you get so mad that you want to roar, take a deep breath and count to four". Especially when I think I'm hiding it. There's not much of an argument when a 3 year old is telling you that you need to calm down.
  • Amazing.  It's impossible not to laugh at stuff like that, but if they see you laugh they've won.  One of my old techniques was to turn my head away for a laugh I couldn't hold in, then after I'd stopped vibrating turn back round with my best 'you've really made me sad' face.  Fat chance of that working these days.
    You have minecraft?
  • Two things that worked for us with hair washes.

    Damp face cloth held up to the eyes. They can do it themselves.

    Or you hold it, and let them dump the jug of water over their own heads.

    I think it's the not knowing when it's going to hit their head that's the biggest part.
  • Will try that for sure Chopper.
    Feets, Don't fail me now!
  • Two things that worked for us with hair washes. Damp face cloth held up to the eyes. They can do it themselves. Or you hold it, and let them dump the jug of water over their own heads. I think it's the not knowing when it's going to hit their head that's the biggest part.

    Yep.  That was our solution.  The ridiculously named "Happy Hat" (I don't know what we were thinking) which was basically just a jug of water that she was encouraged to repeatedly dump on top of her head and wear like a hat.  For some reason if we did anything to her hair it was torture, but if she did it, it was utterly hilarious.

    (Similarly drying their hair.  Neither of my daughters would let anyone dry their hair, until I discovered that by simply going "aaaaraggaraggaragga!" whilst doing it, the whole thing again became the funniest thing ever invented by man.  To the point that my youngest would sometimes walk up to me with completely dry hair and a towel and ask "raggarragga?" )
  • Harry keeps his eyes closed till I say I've covered his hair with shampoo, then he just puts his whole head under water to wash it off
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Damp face cloth held up to the eyes. They can do it themselves.
    That's what we used too.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Yeah, face cloth was the solution for us too. Tempted to try raggaragga for hair drying.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

    Send message
    Sprog likes to eat the suds and do a John Malkovich impression.
    LBPUrEt.jpg
  • Cute
    Feets, Don't fail me now!
  • Bath in a bucket. Been there.
  • Lovely pic :)
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Ah that’s a cute photo Kow. Bath time is the best.
    My two love bath time, they don’t really mind having their hair washed, very minimal fuss. Hardest part is getting them out of the bath at the end! All they do is play and splash each other!
    3DS friend code - 4725-7938-9169
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

    Send message
    Daughter 1 moves out tonight. Sharing student digs in Belfast's "Holy Land".

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holyland_(Belfast)

    It's only across town to the university quarter - still. Bit of a landmark.
  • Ooooh! Big changes Davy. Sure she'll be just fine tho. Be back with a bag of laundry before you know it.
    Come with g if you want to live...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!