Kids, and the stuff that they do
  • g.man wrote:
    My missus said she felt the wee one kick yesterday :D


    Awesome.



    I know. totally excited, and it makes it more real for her, the tummy is definitely there, just reassuring to see her excited.
  • FranticPea wrote:
    Yeh, my wife has been on maternity since August and it's starting to get a bit tight now. We're fine, just had to watch the cash a bit more closely. She's decided to go back part time, mainly to spend more time with Elliot, but also because of the cost of child care. Seems pointless her going back full time, neither of us seeing Elliot during the day for 5 days a week, and then spending a fortune on a child minder. I say child minder, we're still unsure whether to pick that or nursery. I think I prefer child minder.
    Quoted for page turn...

    We lucked out – our neighbour is our childminder. She's got 3 kids so it's brilliant for Sophie to be social, and we get sent pics & videos of her every day. The missus freelances so she can work at home or in the studio and is happy keeping it to four days a week. Things are a bit tight, but we saved like mad for months beforehand. And it's not like I'm spending money on a social life right now...
  • Sterling loin work folks.

    Your kids all appear to be thoroughly awesome and I can personally atest to the brilliance of Niamh - I was made into her sweet buying bitch.

    Blows my mind a little though, I cannot see myself ever having kids.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Blows my mind a little though, I cannot see myself ever having kids.
     

    Neither did I to be honest.
    Now that he's here, I couldn't imagine life without him.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Well if I get in to Uni then i'm out of the game until at least 30, we'll see I guess.
  • Just get plenty of practise in while you're there.
  • Cleaning up younger people's vomit? Yeah, I imagine I'll be a dab hand at that.
  • its a slightly seperate issue but i dont see why people get maternity or paternity leave at all (paid or not). I'm just suprised that this still happens. From where i'm sat, if you are a woman who wants to have a baby then you forfeit your job until you want to get a new one. If the company wants to hold it for you while you're off then fine (even with cover) but why should they pay you?

    I dont have my own business but i dont get it. I'm not complaining, obviously i was happy about getting two weeks off when Olivia was born. I find it boarderline cheeky to be complaining that we dont get as much as people in Sweden.

    I've generalised but i think my overaching points stand. Not looking for an arguement either but i thought i'd voice my opinion.

    In other news my wifes been out shopping for summer clothes for Olivia, she got some cute stuff and i'll have a smile from ear to ear when she wears her new "I love daddy" dress thing :)
    Currently playing; Mario Maker and Clash Royale
  • mk64 wrote:
    its a slightly seperate issue but i dont see why people get maternity or paternity leave at all (paid or not). I'm just suprised that this still happens. From where i'm sat, if you are a woman who wants to have a baby then you forfeit your job until you want to get a new one. If the company wants to hold it for you while you're off then fine (even with cover) but why should they pay you? I dont have my own business but i dont get it. I'm not complaining, obviously i was happy about getting two weeks off when Olivia was born. I find it boarderline cheeky to be complaining that we dont get as much as people in Sweden. I've generalised but i think my overaching points stand. Not looking for an arguement either but i thought i'd voice my opinion. In other news my wifes been out shopping for summer clothes for Olivia, she got some cute stuff and i'll have a smile from ear to ear when she wears her new "I love daddy" dress thing :)



    Primarily because I've been paying taxes for 20 years now and never asked anything from the state and I'm about to take a 50% pay cut when my wife is off. I would like her to have the choice to stay at home and look after my child. Not worry about money.  seeing as there is a chance that I will raise the kids as best as i can so it can contribute to society as well and pay taxes then I don't why they can't pay me for wanting to spend a bit of time with my new baby. 
    If i wasn't working it would be different - i would get money to buy fruit ffs, But because I decide to make something of myself I get penalised for it. 
    It's a fucking joke in all honesty. Other countries reward their parents for bringing a new one into the world. The UK shits in your mouth.
  • I got 2 weeks Pat leave, a week gratis and took a week's holiday. As a result I got full pay for the entire time I was off, it was great, until I went back to work.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • I'm not having a go at @mk64, you are entitled to your opinion. Most businesses give you full maternity pay for about 6 weeks now - thats all - how many mums want to leave their kids after 6 weeks?. its really just pushing people back into work. Its hypocrisy because you have a government that pushes up the cost of living,  talks about family values and then strangles those it is preaching to and provides little support. Childcare is a joke in terms of costs.
  • Maybe we should start a baby stuff swap shop here as well. Would make sense seeing as some of us live close together.  
    In december i'll probably want to be selling a screaming 2 month old :)
  • mk64 wrote:
    its a slightly seperate issue but i dont see why people get maternity or paternity leave at all (paid or not). I'm just suprised that this still happens. From where i'm sat, if you are a woman who wants to have a baby then you forfeit your job until you want to get a new one. If the company wants to hold it for you while you're off then fine (even with cover) but why should they pay you? I dont have my own business but i dont get it. I'm not complaining, obviously i was happy about getting two weeks off when Olivia was born. I find it boarderline cheeky to be complaining that we dont get as much as people in Sweden. I've generalised but i think my overaching points stand. Not looking for an arguement either but i thought i'd voice my opinion. In other news my wifes been out shopping for summer clothes for Olivia, she got some cute stuff and i'll have a smile from ear to ear when she wears her new "I love daddy" dress thing :)



    Primarily because I've been paying taxes for 20 years now and never asked anything from the state and I'm about to take a 50% pay cut when my wife is off. I would like her to have the choice to stay at home and look after my child. Not worry about money.  seeing as there is a chance that I will raise the kids as best as i can so it can contribute to society as well and pay taxes then I don't why they can't pay me for wanting to spend a bit of time with my new baby. 
    If i wasn't working it would be different - i would get money to buy fruit ffs, But because I decide to make something of myself I get penalised for it. 
    It's a fucking joke in all honesty. Other countries reward their parents for bringing a new one into the world. The UK shits in your mouth.

    Umm, i'd bold certain parts but the tag bar isn't working on my IE yet.

    You mentioned not asking anything of the state but your taxes go towards the NHS (the delivery of your baby and aftercare) as well as loads of other things which indirectly or directly effect you (even rubbish collection). So to say that you have nothing for your taxes is a bit much.

    You're advocating the state to pay people to have children. Can you imagine the impact of that in such crude terms? Overpopulation, explotion is population (if introduced now), not enough infrastructure or industry to support it. I could think of alot more important things for the government to spend money on before giving a handout because you've had a baby. Essentially I would argue if you can't afford to support your own baby you shouldn't have one. Tough but its how i feel. Situations change granted but i'm talking at the point of conception. 99% of the "kids in poverty" in the uk are in relative poverty, not absolute poverty (ala LEDC's).

    Perhaps it should just be the discretion of the company as to if you should get maternity leave.

    Its a system, which gets played too. There was a woman at work who I know who knew/planned to have 3 children. She was a manager (one of my peers) and she had a baby, went on maternity leave, came back, went on maternity leave again, came back and did it three times in about three years. Back to back babies. There are rules about this but without going into the nuts and bolts she did it within the time frames where the company can't do anything about it under the company policy and/or UK law (at the time big US telecom company). By the time she came back after 3 years of babies she could barely remember her job, was outside of the market so long she didn't know what was going on etc. Ended up getting made redundant (for a fuck load of money) as firing a new mother is generally a bad avenue to go down as a company. Fair play to her, but as a business she made it suffer.

    Its probably an exception but i know two women who have done it.
    Currently playing; Mario Maker and Clash Royale
  • It's like a mouse under a rug at the mo'
  • griff-the-invisible-movie-photo-01.jpg
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • mk64 wrote:
     Umm, i'd bold certain parts but the tag bar isn't working on my IE yet. You mentioned not asking anything of the state but your taxes go towards the NHS (the delivery of your baby and aftercare) as well as loads of other things which indirectly or directly effect you (even rubbish collection). So to say that you have nothing for your taxes is a bit much. You're advocating the state to pay people to have children. Can you imagine the impact of that in such crude terms? Overpopulation, explotion is population (if introduced now), not enough infrastructure or industry to support it. I could think of alot more important things for the government to spend money on before giving a handout because you've had a baby. Essentially I would argue if you can't afford to support your own baby you shouldn't have one. Tough but its how i feel. Situations change granted but i'm talking at the point of conception. 99% of the "kids in poverty" in the uk are in relative poverty, not absolute poverty (ala LEDC's). Perhaps it should just be the discretion of the company as to if you should get maternity leave.

    No, I'm advocating people that have done nothing but pay taxes since they left school get a bit of help.

    I'm aware what my taxes pay for, I'm aware of all the wonderful things I get for them as well.

    I said I never asked anything form the state, not I didn't get anything from my taxes to be clear.  

     I'm also aware of those that pay little or no tax and get more in terms of financial support then i will ever get. 
    My point is that as a good citizen that does what I'm told, why shouldn't I be given the chance to spend some time with my new kid as a father, funded by the government for a couple of weeks without having to take the time as holidays or unpaid and put extra financial stress on my home?

    I'm not advocating the state pay for people to have kids at all.  I'm saying that it would kill that state to guarantee full paid paternity leave for 2 weeks for fathers. 
    I think that you should be paid as a mother based on the number of years you have paid taxes for. 

    If you are a sponger, you get nothing. And neutered. 

    Most Maternity pay stops after 12 weeks at the very most then moves to statutory. Even for the public sector.   
    Take it out my national insurance - lets face it - i'm not getting a state pension when i retire anyway.
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    It's like a mouse under a rug at the mo'

    Hi Griff. whats up?
  • T-Minus 19 days
  • Awesome.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    T-Minus 19 days

    Ickle Griff??
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    BabyG.gif

    I'm really mega happy for you.
  • Thanks. I couldn't be happier.
  • "My point is that as a good citizen that does what I'm told, why shouldn't I be given the chance to spend some time with my new kid as a father, funded by the government for a couple of weeks without having to take the time as holidays or unpaid and put extra financial stress on my home?"

    Because its your choice to have kids :)

    I got 100 quid from my health insurance at work, worth checking your policy if you have one.

    This is the bit I dont really get.
    Currently playing; Mario Maker and Clash Royale
  • one of my friends said to me that at some point, you will have the conversation with the wife that begins

    'I'm definitely more tired than you...'

    This will be my third, my eldest daughter turns 8 on Saturday
  • Bit harsh to be honest Kart.
    If we all thought like that, then only the rich would have kids.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • So is the gist of this that because some people take advantage of the system, those that the system benefits just shouldn't have kids?

    Or am I being too reductive with your opinion?

    Sasukekun wrote:
    Bit harsh to be honest Kart.
    If we all thought like that, then only the rich would have kids.

    Also this, or as it is sometimes known, Class Eugenics.
  • mk64 wrote:
    "My point is that as a good citizen that does what I'm told, why shouldn't I be given the chance to spend some time with my new kid as a father, funded by the government for a couple of weeks without having to take the time as holidays or unpaid and put extra financial stress on my home?" Because its your choice to have kids :) I got 100 quid from my health insurance at work, worth checking your policy if you have one.
    This is the bit I dont really get.

    Not really, I tripped over the rug in the livingroom and.... ;)
  • Tempy wrote:
    Well if I get in to Uni then i'm out of the game until at least 30, we'll see I guess.

    I was 36 when Imogen was born (38 for Caitlin).
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Congratulations Lord_Griff.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!