Kids, and the stuff that they do
  • Tempy wrote:
    Well if I get in to Uni then i'm out of the game until at least 30, we'll see I guess.
    I was 36 when Imogen was born (38 for Caitlin).

    Ill be 37 with this one.
  • Tempy wrote:
    So is the gist of this that because some people take advantage of the system, those that the system benefits just shouldn't have kids?

    Or am I being too reductive with your opinion?"

    Sasukekun wrote:
    Bit harsh to be honest Kart.
    If we all thought like that, then only the rich would have kids.

    Also this, or as it is sometimes known, Class Eugenics.

    No, i'm saying
    A) That I dont see why companies should compensate people for having kids. I dont think the government really should either.
    B) The current system allows for abuse. Which also takes me back to A).

    Nick, i'm not saying that only rich people should have kids. I'm saying that i dont agree with people who are poor and can't afford to support their child who then have 3. I'm more referring to people in countries where the result is death of a child as opposed to not getting an Xbox for Christmas.

    Also Revel, do you get child benefit from the government? (obv dont have to answer that) but thats 100 a month or something.. so thats 1200 a year.. so thats the equivelent of more than a few days work and thats every year.. some people get that when they dont even need it.
    Currently playing; Mario Maker and Clash Royale
  • mk64 wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    So is the gist of this that because some people take advantage of the system, those that the system benefits just shouldn't have kids?

    Or am I being too reductive with your opinion?"

    Sasukekun wrote:
    Bit harsh to be honest Kart.
    If we all thought like that, then only the rich would have kids.

    Also this, or as it is sometimes known, Class Eugenics.

    No, i'm saying
    A) That I dont see why companies should compensate people for having kids. I dont think the government really should either.
    B) The current system allows for abuse. Which also takes me back to A).

    Nick, i'm not saying that only rich people should have kids. I'm saying that i dont agree with people who are poor and can't afford to support their child who then have 3. I'm more referring to people in countries where the result is death of a child as opposed to not getting an Xbox for Christmas.

    Also Revel, do you get child benefit from the government? (obv dont have to answer that) but thats 100 a month or something.. so thats 1200 a year.. so thats the equivelent of more than a few days work and thats every year.. some people get that when they dont even need it.

    It is a difficult line to toe though, IMO. The support is there for good reason, any system will be open to some kind of abuse. What about a person who can afford, with support, to have one child? Should they not be allowed due to the people willing to abuse the system? what if the job that they work in is low paid and due to lack of Economic Growth the salary won't increase for the next X years due to pay freezes? Should they just get a better a job?

    I know plenty of people who do what I consider to be noble and integeral work in care and such who would find life a whole lot tougher without the current financial support (not just no Xbox tougher). I am just arguing the cause here, not because its you or owt, just because I think havng a child is a primarily biological function that women should be allowed to fulfill if they choose to.

    About the income support too, some people do get it who don't need it. Surely a better thing to do is redistribute that support that those earning £50k+ to those in the lower band of 16-20k so that they can have kids if they choose to? I am feeling out of my depth here now anyway, I'm not having a go and I agree about scroungers but I don't think you can just say 'no support for you, get a better job before having a kid' especially if someone is doing a worthy job for shit pay, something that happens frequently.

    Kinda agree on the LEDCs though, but implementing some sort of cap to child production seems rather draconian.


    Feel free to ignore all this brain to keyboard waffle.
  • i agree with your points. I'm not sure i'm saying too much in the other direction.

    My starting point is the LEDC's, i'm attributing that to here with a view that it should be equal. If a child can't be supported in Sudan it dies. Yet if it can't be supported over here it lives. Because we have better wealth distribution I suppose (going in and out through the government). That doesn't sit well with me overall for a few reasons which I dont have time to go into right now.

    It seems to me that some people are being selfish. You say its a womens "right" to have a child, imo thats a very vague "right" to have, is it just as much of a right if you know that there is a very high chance that child will die before you? If you bring a child into this world you should be confident YOU can support it without pain, fear or hunger. Thats just my belief.

    Ultimately I dont agree that my taxes/money/my own childs future money should go to support a woman who is unemployed, in council housing, on benefits and chooses to have a baby because its her "right".

    Sorry if i offend anyone, its not intentional.
    Currently playing; Mario Maker and Clash Royale
  • No offense here, was just arguing the buck.

    The main reason I split with my ex (outside the actual, genuine diagnosed mentalness) was her insistence that she wanted a child despite the fact we were totally unprepared for one in any way, least of all financially.
  • I didn't know you'd been diagnosed as being mental.

    you hide it well

    g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • :)
    Currently playing; Mario Maker and Clash Royale
  • mk64 wrote:
    Olivias turning over, she gets stressed because she can't get her arm out from underneath her and she can't turn back onto her back yet but she's getting there :) Her lungs are also growing as she can make alot more noise now when she cries! Anyone got any tips or advice on bathtime? We're winging it our way atm but i'd be keen to hear how others have bathed their littluns (shes 4.5 months).

    When Nim was a baby I used to bathe with her. She felt happy and secure with me there and would have a great time. When she could sit up almost on her own (with my holding her a bit) she went in the bath on her own. We never used a baby bath.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Sterling loin work folks. Your kids all appear to be thoroughly awesome and I can personally atest to the brilliance of Niamh - I was made into her sweet buying bitch. Blows my mind a little though, I cannot see myself ever having kids.

    She definitely knows how to get what she wants. It's amazing how clever they get.

    I never saw myself having kids until I met Elm. Sometimes you just need to meet the right person.
  • Being an only child, I was a bit concerned how Imogen would cope with having Caitlin around. Thankfully she seems to be happy with her little sister.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • g.man wrote:
    I didn't know you'd been diagnosed as being mental.

    you hide it well

    g.man

    Hey what

  • :D
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

    Send message
    Forgot to unplug my Xbox.

    Elliot leant on the disc tray, now it won't go back in.

    Oh dear.
    Hairlo?
  • Uh oh. 

    Given the number of stories I'm hearing of kids damaging consoles, I'm bracing for the inevitable in the next year or so... She'll be crawling soon.
  • Oh dear. Going to have to get locks on cupboards mate.

    regards

    g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • pea theyre an easy fix, grab some torx, an ebayed new drive, a youtube and the spirit of adventure!
  • Arrrrr!

    CftqM.jpg
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

    Send message
    LazyGunn wrote:
    pea theyre an easy fix, grab some torx, an ebayed new drive, a youtube and the spirit of adventure!

    I've a feeling it just needs sitting back on track, not sure. I'm on Minecraft for the foreseeable luckily no it's not a major disaster.

    @Matty, that's the outfit g.man has bought for his Bristol trip. Very cute pic.
    Hairlo?
  • Ahahaha! That's brilliant Matty. You still living in Bristol mate?

    regards

    g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Being an only child, I was a bit concerned how Imogen would cope with having Caitlin around. Thankfully she seems to be happy with her little sister.

    I have an 8 and 6 year old that will be meeting their new bro / sis in October. going to give them as much attention as possible to make sure they dont feel they miss out. My daughter though is really excited about having a baby in the house
  • Isaac is 3 years old today.  And what better way to celebrate your birthday than watching Fireman Sam in your underpants whilst playing with your new toys?

    20i9qqd.jpg
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Super!
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Thanks guys.
    g.man wrote:
    Ahahaha! That's brilliant Matty. You still living in Bristol mate? regards g.man

    I am indeed Mr G.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • MattyJ wrote:
    Thanks guys.
    g.man wrote:
    Ahahaha! That's brilliant Matty. You still living in Bristol mate? regards g.man
    I am indeed Mr G.
    Neat. I'll be rattling about Bristol on the 29th of this month. Planning on catching up with Turts if he's around. You're welcome (as is any other member in the vicinity) to join us for a light beverage and a blether if you so wish.

    regards

    g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • is that a scooby do truck (the green one?)
    Currently playing; Mario Maker and Clash Royale
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

    Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    Isaac is 3 years old today.  And what better way to celebrate your birthday than watching Fireman Sam in your underpants whilst playing with your new toys?

    20i9qqd.jpg

    Well, that's how I'm planning on spending mine.

    Happy Birthday Isaac!

    Hairlo?
  • mk64 wrote:
    is that a scooby do truck (the green one?)

    don't be ridiculous, its clearly Mike the Plumbers van from fireman sam.
    :-D
    Gamertag: gremill
  • g.man wrote:
    MattyJ wrote:
    Thanks guys.
    g.man wrote:
    Ahahaha! That's brilliant Matty. You still living in Bristol mate? regards g.man
    I am indeed Mr G.
    Neat. I'll be rattling about Bristol on the 29th of this month. Planning on catching up with Turts if he's around. You're welcome (as is any other member in the vicinity) to join us for a light beverage and a blether if you so wish. regards g.man

    coolio, I should be around, we'll sort it out closer to the time
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Good stuff. I'll drop you some info in a couple of weeks.

    cheers

    g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • i'm not up on my fireman sam. Is mike the plumber any good? My showers just packed in.
    Currently playing; Mario Maker and Clash Royale

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!