PC gaming.
  • SSHD really isn't quite the same thing, StoreMI is something thing that has been in the enterprise for a while, whereas the consumer technology like an SSHD is more of a cache technology -

So yeah not the same thing as an SSHD/Hybrid drive, much better.
  • How so? I'm at work so can't watch the videos.

Only difference I can guess at is that data on the SSD isn't duplicated on the HDD with that, while with an SSHD it is.
  • Err well there's a few reasons, but one of the main things is that a 'hybrid drive' has a really tiny amount of flash storage. So not that useful really except for maybe just improving boot times a little. Tiered storage means you can pair a pretty cheap 128GB SSD with a massive hard drive and see much more of a benefit as the software tries to intelligently move things around.

He explains it pretty well there, but you can also look here -
    A cache is essentially a copy of active data that sits between the application and back-end storage, such as cheap disk drives. In contrast, storage tiering places data on multiple types of media (faster, more expensive versus cheaper, slower) depending on the activity of the data itself.

It looks there might be an additional license cost in order to have more than just two drives in an array, not too bad though. Also integrates the ability to have a small RAM drive to help speed things up further, pretty neat tech.
  • Yer man's claims in that 2nd vid that worst cast it'll be as slow as your slowest storage, but in good cases as fast as the fastest storage is rather disproved by the first video benchmarks.
    First runs we're atrocious, and even after caching (or tiering or whatever you want to call it) to the faster storage some of the games still loaded slower.

[edit] - no, my mistake, I skipped too fast through the vid, the warcraft loading times went down hugely. All loading times went down once the "frequent access" files cached to the SSD.
  • And, yeah, it's basically a more flexible way of setting the location of the cache and handling what is in it. Call it "tiered storage" if you want, same difference really.
  • djchump wrote:
    Yer man's claims in that 2nd vid that worst cast it'll be as slow as your slowest storage, but in good cases as fast as the fastest storage is rather disproved by the first video benchmarks. First runs we're atrocious, and even after caching (or tiering or whatever you want to call it) to the faster storage some of the games still loaded slower.

Ashes load time was identical between optimised StoreMI and SSD - 18:14

It's slower initally probably due to it basically just using what's on the HDD begin with, and the background monitoring and working out of where to put things. I would say that most people tend to not install something once, play and finish it, then move on to the next thing. Typically people will open and close stuff over and over again over many days..

And this..................
    KL1h2Zh.png
  • Some person on a forum -
    The point of read cache is to (a) prefetch sequential data and have next block ready for you before you ask for it and (b) store it for some time in the fast memory in case you’ll decide to read it again shortly afterwards. The point of write cache is to (a) rearrange random writes into series of sequential writes, (b) allow you to edit data before committing it to storage (if you write the same block twice, only one write operation will be performed on media) and © smooth down the write bursts/spikes into something more manageable by media. The point of tiered storage is to virtualize the storage. The data is stored on fast or slow media, depending on access frequency. It’s essentially the same as having system/software/games on SSD and videos/music/backup images on HDD, only you see just one disk of combined capacity and usually you don’t have to manage it, data moves between physical drives automagically.
    And no, neither cache nor tiered storage will allow you to read data stored on “spinning rust” faster than it’s physically possible to read data stored on “spinning rust”.

Hopefully that helps explain it. Quite a nice convenience feature, saving you the user some time and headache instead of watching the little blue bar of your SSD turn to red and trying to work out what to move and compromise on.
  • djchump wrote:
    Yer man's claims in that 2nd vid that worst cast it'll be as slow as your slowest storage, but in good cases as fast as the fastest storage is rather disproved by the first video benchmarks. First runs we're atrocious, and even after caching (or tiering or whatever you want to call it) to the faster storage some of the games still loaded slower.

Ashes load time was identical between optimised StoreMI and SSD - 18:14

It's slower initally probably due to it basically just using what's on the HDD begin with, and the background monitoring and working out of where to put things.
    My mistake, I skipped too quickly through the first vid and misread the 2nd run warcraft load times.

But still, worryingly slow when accessing files from the HDD - if that happens any time a not-often-used file gets accessed, it could be a nasty spike/chug. I would hope it's something that can optimise to a background thread, as it's kinda worrying to me that the virtualisation layer is blocking and adding additional latency to the access calls :-/
  • sounds a bit like one of these that i used to have: https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-SDSSDRC-032G-G26-ReadyCache-Internal-2-5-inch/dp/B008U3038I
    it was pretty cool when it worked, but it would be a bit flaky at times, and wouldn't work at all once i moved to win10.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Pretty handy for those wondering about graphics settings. Test system used was an i5 8400 + GTX 1060 6GB -

• Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    Who wants a free Destiny 2?
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Not me!
  • I'm interested Subbax!
    If it's still available?
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    It's yours and I'll get the code sent soon. It's just the base game, no expansions as far as I'm aware. There's a slim chance they may be in the rest of the bundle when that unlocks next Friday. If they're in there, they're yours also.
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • Ah ok, cheers.
    Much appreciated subbax!
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • I have base game on offer too. I have osiris so that'll be on offer if expansions are in and separate.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Ken follet pillars of earth and cook serve delicious 2 also up for grabs.
  • I was just coming in to wonder if anyone had CSD! 2!! going spare. I'll take it if it's still available?
  • Yep. Literally in the process of sorting net out at new place, so give me a bit.
  • No rush at all, appreciate it.
  • This looks oddly therapeutic -

• Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Cultist Simulator is ok. So far, so impenetrable. I don't have the time pour into it right at the moment but hopefully I'll get around to it this weekend. Seems to be some kind of text narrative card game, which sounds uninspiring, but such was the quality of Sunless Sea that I'll certainly give it plenty of leeway.
  • Reckon I don't want much of this humble month. D2, pillars of earth and Styx defo up for grabs. Gotta check the others. Cook serve del 2 already with WorKid.
  • Can I have Pillars please?
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Yep. Done.
  • Thank you muchly kind sir!
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Cheers Face look forward to running my own coffee shop... :)
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Cultist Simulator is pretty damn interesting. It's the writing style of Sunless Sea without any actual thing to control or explore. All cards with timers, so the story is something you end up putting together in your head. It'll be a time sink.
  • So I have an old dell latitude and an old Toshiba laptop. Both of which are probably past it. I don't want to just chuck them without wiping. Surprisingly hard to find the kill it with fire button. Any help?

Should I just use a hammer? Why can't I find factory reset on windows 7 pro?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!