PC gaming.
  • Subbax wrote:
    Am I being thick? So monitors for 4k gaming are usually a bit lacking or overly expensive. What is stopping me from buying a 32" 4k TV with a decent refresh rate and just sticking that on the end of the pc? Please note I have done zero research. I will do some later but you pc cats might already know. Ta!

Not much if you're not a multiplayer mental. I use a Steam Link for couch gaming and it's great.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Decent TV’s can switch off most of the processing. My Panny can get rid of most stuff. I don’t really get 4K on PC monitors at all. I bought the best 1440p I could afford and it is more than sharp enough. Not that my PC could run 4K anyway.

Yeah there's definitely some really good ones out there, just need to find some properly useful reviews.

Generally I would always prefer to prioritise refresh rate over resolution for a PC monitor, don't think I could ever comfortably go back to 60Hz for a primary display.
  • The trick is to never go over 60hz in the first place.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • I should point out that different people seem to have different perceptions when it comes to screen frame rates, some just don't seem to be able to see any difference above 60Hz, which I find rather strange, but there you go. Most people seem to be able to discern changes up to around 90Hz though, above that for things like FPS games and such I often won't notice much of a difference. Diminishing returns basically, though you do get accustomed to the subtle improvements in feel with very high refresh rates.

Highly recommend 144Hz anyway.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    So I'm moving into heavy research mode and this is a great video for those of you considering buying a new gaming laptop (particularly the new RTX models).

• The future of pc gaming!
    Yes I know, the industry is moving towards subscription streaming services but the above is still pretty cool. Having your own streaming server-client setup to play is pretty amazing, couild still be a nice little niche for gaming phones.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • I have the GPD win 2 which is more powerful as I need offline play on my commute.
    Very well made machines
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I’m so shit at mouse and keyboard FPS gaming. Got the new shiny laptop, got new Metro for free and it looks gorgeous. I just wish I could use the keyboard better. May have to be a heathen and go to 360 controller.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    PC Master Race allows controllers, shirley?!
  • Go mouse/controller combo. Xpad in one hand for thumbstick movement and mouse in other for aiming. Most games allow it. TRY IT!
  • What mouse are you using boris?

Dunno about others, but getting a better keyboard (noice mechanical) made a remarkable difference to my comfort while playing, reducing fatigue and frustration. The biggest difference though, comes from having a mouse with a good shape, light weight, and proper optical sensor with no acceleration or other issues.

Most keyboards these days are pretty shit, keypresses are typically only registered at the bottom of the keystroke, meaning you have to keep pressing down a lot which is uncomfortable over a long time. Most of the medium-expensive gaming mice have really good sensors now, though there are many that still have quite awful sensors that give all sorts of issues. I remember back in the day when I was trying to play Stalker with a cheap mouse and keyboard, and having a terrible time with it. The mouse had some bad negative acceleration that made it very difficult to be accurate and get the headshots you need to in that game. Playing it more recently made me realise how bad the tools I had previously were.

Apart from the input devices the setup can also be very important, ensuring that "Enhance pointer precision" (acceleration) is turned off in the Windows mouse settings is pretty essential. And a big deal is getting the sensitivity just right, particularly for FPSs, the default setup with most modern high-dpi mice will be very sensitive and quick, needing only a few inches. Great for browsing and such, but probably not so good for FPS where having a lower sensitivity means you need to move the mouse further for your view to shift a distance which makes it much easier to be more accurate. You will need a big sized mousepad for that though, much bigger than the usual little A3 sized thing that most have.

Another thing that makes a big difference to me is having a really compact keyboard layout, like a 60% or 75% (or smaller actually..). This means your mouse arm can be more straight ahead of you and has a bit more room, and your left doesn't have to be way over to one side. Basic ergonomics. Few games use a numpad, and you can get a seperate USB one if needed anyway.

None of this needs to be really expensive at all though, and if you consider the amount of time we spend at a computer, getting good peripherals is something I would say is very much worth it. Let me know if you would like any recommendations.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    SG sounds weird, but I’ll give it a try. 

@Gurt I’ve bought a very good laptop with a SteelSeries keyboard and bought a SteelSeries mouse. The keyboard isn’t mechanical as I went for portability above a big chunky kB. I don’t really want to plug in a keyboard as I want to be able to move around with it. It could just be I’m old and shit.
  • Aye most laptop keyboards are probably fine these days, and if it's from Steelseries it should be fine. If the mouse model is recent then it should be fine also. Apart from that I would certainly try my tips regarding disabling acceleration, adjusting look sensitivity in-game down, and using a larger mouse pad. Overwatch is a great thing to git gud with.

Oh and err the FPS that you are running at really makes a difference with mouse and keyboard compared to using a gamepad. Anything less that 60 FPS with a mouse is a truly miserable experience, and I'm not just saying that because I'm a refresh rate nut, there's something to do with the mouse control that doesn't translate at choppy frame rates, but a controller will be fine in the same situation.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Cheers Gurt. I never considered acceleration as an issue. Generally getting around 80+ FPS in Metro so think mouse will be fine. Have got a nice Corsair mouse mat, just need to get it back from the fiancés where my desktop is.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    SG sounds weird, but I’ll give it a try.  @Gurt I’ve bought a very good laptop with a SteelSeries keyboard and bought a SteelSeries mouse. The keyboard isn’t mechanical as I went for portability above a big chunky kB. I don’t really want to plug in a keyboard as I want to be able to move around with it. It could just be I’m old and shit.

Do it. You can map other buttons to trigger, thumbstick press (for say, duck), and additional mouse buttons. Try just moving about and shooting and worry about the specifics later. Try it with something like Team Fortress 2 and see how you get on.
  • I'm also shit with mouse keyboard controls which is why I always have a ps4 controller/steampad ready.
    Works wonders.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Cheers Gurt. I never considered acceleration as an issue. Generally getting around 80+ FPS in Metro so think mouse will be fine. Have got a nice Corsair mouse mat, just need to get it back from the fiancés where my desktop is.

Yeah, the disabling Window's opinter precision thing is a classic tip, one that most people new to PC gaming won't know about sadly. Now that I'm used to no acceleration with a mouse I find it quite weird and uncomfortable to use a computer with it enabled, though I do have it on for my thinkpad, as a bit of acceleration is a little more necessary for the trackpoint and touchpad. If you want to test for acceleration then all you have to do is get the mouse up against a surface, then move it to one side then back again at varying sides, it should always return to the same point.

This is the mouse mat I use, though it's more of a deskmat -

SteelSeries-QcK-XXL-14.jpg

I find I definitely use all the space I can. I think my 360 distance (the horizontal distance I need to rotate my view all the way around back to the same point in an FPS) is around 30CM. Apparently most 'pros' have a similar sort of distance, some a little more, a little less. A good gauge is to get the game sensitivity so that a quick flick left or right will turn you about 180.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Ok my mouse mat is way smaller than that. Tbf, it’s bigger than A4. I feel like I’ve just stepped into Narnia for the first time.
  • Honestly though acceleration and poor sensor performance will fuck your shit up, and make you think you are shitter with M&K than you actually are. Worth checking out IMO.

Oh yeah, I have a decent Zowie FK1+ mouse that I don't have a use for atm, was using it a workplace but that is no more. Good for those with large hands. £15 plus a couple of quid for postage.
  • Oh yeah, for those who want a really tiny little system, check out this - https://www.techspot.com/review/1816-asrock-deskmini-a300/

Don't know if it's available in the UK yet, but looks great, $150. Barebones system, so you put in your own CPU, RAM and storage. There are Intel based systems, but the A300 is Ryzen based and the one to get I reckon, as you can use one of the great little APUs (2200G or 2400G) with it and get pretty great performance for such a small device. Can be mounted to the back of a monitor with a VESA mount too which is cool.
  • @b0r1s I was is the same situation when I got myself a shiny new gaming laptop. With time and practice I was able to use as mouse okay, but using a keyboard for movement /reload /jump /abilities just wasn't happening.

I used the controller / mouse combo with some success (it doesn't feel half as odd as you'd think) and that's my go-to for multiplayer shenanigans, but for single player FPS's I just use a controller.

I'd say give m&k a bit more time and definitely give mouse and controller a go, but there's no right and wrong here. Use whatever you're most comfortable with, and if that's a controller then that's absolutely fine.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Get used to mouse and keyboard for shooters and you'll never go back to a controller. Other stuff like platforming or racing really needs a controller.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    New Divinity game on the way. Not an rpg but an x-com style game. "Multiple platforms" too so could mean Switch as well.
  • Kow wrote:
    New Divinity game on the way. Not an rpg but an x-com style game. "Multiple platforms" too so could mean Switch as well.
    Oh yeah
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Cheers Stormy and Kow. Gonna have another bash at the keyboard and mouse.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Ok I have a problem with two small icons at the bottom right of my screen when playing Metro via the Epic Launcher. I thought it may have been Game Bar but I’ve switched that off. Any ideas?

024-E66-BA-7-DA9-4-E67-9-CB7-7-F17-D8-C38725.jpg
  • Yeah that's some kind of overlay, could be the Epic launcher's, could be some other piece of software from the laptop's manufacturer, something in Windows, or perhaps an Nvidia thing. Just have to go through various settings pages to find out I guess..
  • Oh it does appear to be an Nvidia thing actually. Hit Win - search Geforce experience - go into the settings of that and disable overlay stuff.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Cheers, I couldn't see it in Steam and it wasn't the Windows Game Bar thing.
  • Crossposted in VR.

Here you go Boris, it's only fucking coming!

https://www.roadtovr.com/valve-index-vr-headset-release-date/

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!