PC gaming.
  • I'm still lolling at PS5/Xbox 90000 saying they'll spunk out Ray Tracing as if its nothing. Tbf though its a fucking outstanding thing to see in motion and the heft of the current NVidia cards means AMD can go swivel.

Console claims are the same as a two year saying "look Daddy I can run" before taking two steps and faceplanting the ground.
  • Haven't read the reviews yet (unplacing from hols) but how is the power draw and temps of the new AMD card?
  • If it doesn't give you a suntan whilst playing it's not a proper AMD card.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • mrsmr2 wrote:
    Haven't read the reviews yet (unplacing from hols) but how is the power draw and temps of the new AMD card?

The AMD v Nvidia situation is kind of the opposite of the AMD v Intel one, AMD are still definitely behind the performance/watt curve with the GPUs, CPUs they are well ahead.

The RX 5700 XT has performance around RTX 2060/2070, with power consumption between the 2070 and 2080. So not spectacular, but not totally awful either. The only models reviewed so far have been the reference blower designs... which suck. Once the other manufacturer's boards with better heatsinks come out you can get an idea of how the temperatures and noise compare generally. But if the power consumption is higher, then the heat and noise will be also higher when compared with the Nvidia counterpart with the same cooler.

Typically AMD sets the stock voltage fairly high, and undervolting can yield some great results.
  • Cheers Gurt, pretty much what i was expecting.

I’ll probably build a new PC next year so starting to keep track of developments more closely.

• Seems like the 5700/5700 XT are actually pretty ok for power consumption, they are comparable with the Nvidia cards. The only thing is they should be probably be a little better considering they are based on 7nm compared to Nvidia's 12nm. But as there's not going to be another gen from Nvidia soon they are pretty alright for now. Once the nicer cooler designs come out from MSI/Gigabyte/Asus etc they should be decent buys.

Still need to see more reports on it, but the Anti Lag feature does seem to work, not sure if it's just games or if it also works with general desktop usage. I'm all about a really responsive fast experience.

I won't be upgrading any time soon however, there's not much improvement over what I have now, and I'm still fine on my 144Hz 1080p screen. Hopefully the gen after will be really good though, AMD has a much nicer driver interface in general and I would quite like to go back to that.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Pure ad revenue generator article, could have put that in a few pages the greedy bastards. I hate that slider crap with ads interspersed.
  • Err use uBlock Origin. You can even install it on Firefox mobile. But yeah I would prefer a single page format.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I really should, but, perversely I don't mind ads when it's just a a few sensibly placed across a site. I appreciate that sites need ads to make money, to keep going, but some really take the P.

• Seems AMD's upscaling trick Radeon Image sharpening is superior to nVidia's DLSS implementation mostly due to lower permance hit. Interesting....
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Yeah it seems like a good cheap solution. Actually it's probably going to be nice for the next consoles too...
  • Ghah. Bump because I forgot to send Kow a game
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    What game?
  • I'd probably never get around to playing it so you have it. I'll fight you so that you take it!
    Ok, here we go -
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    That's what I thought.
  • Streets of Rogue is out of early access (and there's a Linux port!). Anyone here played it?
    I win... in the most minor way possible.
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    No, but it's there, lurking in my neverending backlog.

Humble had it in a - inexpensive - bundle some months ago.
    It's a world of truck drivers.
  • Tom Francis on C&C said he really liked it
  • I've had it in my wishlist for ages, just like slay the spire. I'm planning to get both when I'm finally less overworked... fingers crossed.
    I win... in the most minor way possible.
  • I have it, never quiet worked for me but I probably didn’t give it enough time
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Epic Launcher bugging out for me. Icon flickering on taskbar, and it drops in and out on list when I control Alt Del so I can't even stop it running.

Anyone else?
  • These kind of issues happen with various launchers and other software from time to time. Discord breaks all the time for example.

You should just need to redownload the installer and run it to fix it.
  • Yeah, tried that. No luck.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Doesn't seem to be anyone else reporting problems.
  • Yeah, nothing obvious in help section either.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Try giving your pc a good shake. That helps me sometimes. Not sure about the pc.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Seems to good now, for me anyway.

Aug 2nd has For Honour and Alan Wake as freebies. Pity they've been free just about everywhere else by now anyway.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Epic Launcher bugging out for me. Icon flickering on taskbar, and it drops in and out on list when I control Alt Del so I can't even stop it running. Anyone else?

Try using services.msc or task manager's startup tab to prevent it from running at startup, then uninstall and reinstall. There might also be configuration settings saved somewhere that don't get wiped in the uninstall, so you may need to search in the file explorer for "epic" and manually delete stuff.

Services.msc is super useful, you can either disable things outright or tell them to be a manual startup so they should only run when you open a program.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!