Broadband recommendation thread
‹ Previous123
  • Don't think there is a thread for this so here we go.

I'm starting college at Bristol in September and I've just moved into a shared house. No one else has moved in yet and I need some recommendations for a good ISP. Apparently most people tend to go for Virgin Media here.

Many thanks for any suggestions.
  • Yeah Virgin have good lines all across the city. I pay for, and get, 30 meg from them. My bro gets 110! Never had issues from them here. Although, I will say having 30 meg and their super hub thing can cause wireless issues, so the only wireless devices on mine now are phones.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • I have '60mg' Virgin and average 20mg wirelessly.  That's not good.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I've had 10mb for years now and don't see any need for anything faster really.
  • By infinity all the way bb.  93Mb down and 35Mb upload. It rocks.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Bit pricey though.
  • Current ISP, of the paltry few available in my portion of marshland, is giving me a handsome 2.3ish meg BB on a good day.

Still, Asia soon, and fibreops 100meg lines standard, yahoop. Host advantage will be mine.
  • If you can get cable, then get cable.
  • Don't think there is a thread for this so here we go. I'm starting college at Bristol in September and I've just moved into a shared house. No one else has moved in yet and I need some recommendations for a good ISP. Apparently most people tend to go for Virgin Media here. Many thanks for any suggestions.

PS where are you going to live? (Understand if you don't want to say).

VM is great if lots of people are sharing the connection in a house.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    VM for Bristol. Not because they're good, but because their rivals aren't.
  • I have '60mg' Virgin and average 20mg wirelessly.  That's not good.

You'd have to plug a cable into your laptop/desktop and run a speedtest that way to see if you actually get 60. If you still don't then I would call them as they will send someone out to investigate.
  • Am moving in the near future, hit of a pain as Virgin are finally available I'm my area, but not the areas I an going too.
    So, I've upgraded my BT broadband from 5MBs to an estimated 67mbs. BT are available I'm my new area, and I don't really want to go with Sky if I can avoid it.
    Shame Bt's TV service is shit.
    I now have to weather BT for another 18 months and hope Virgin appear in that time.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • BT Infinity is quite good - would've stayed with Virgin if that'd been an option when we moved though.

Paying for 40MB, tend to get about 32 down and 8 up on a speed test.
  • I've just signed up for Bt Infinity and getting 40 mb ( hopefully ) for £18 which isn't too bad but the robbing bastards then charge you line rental ( surely it should be in the whole package ). I've decided to  pay up front for it and get it for £10.50 instead of £15 a month

Fingers crossed it will only take a couple of weeks , and after reading confirmation the email they've said that there will be minimal break in my broadband
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Petey
    Show networks
    Twitter
    peterhughesdev
    PSN
    windupharlequin
    Steam
    windupharlequin

Send message
    My girlfriend's been at uni in Bristol for the past couple of years; Virgin seem to be pretty good for shared houses, and are affordable (compared to BT infinity)
    The janitor.
  • WorKid wrote:
    Don't think there is a thread for this so here we go. I'm starting college at Bristol in September and I've just moved into a shared house. No one else has moved in yet and I need some recommendations for a good ISP. Apparently most people tend to go for Virgin Media here. Many thanks for any suggestions.
    PS where are you going to live? (Understand if you don't want to say). VM is great if lots of people are sharing the connection in a house.

The house is in the Southville area, quite close to the river. It's in quite a nice position really, not too far from either the college or city centre.

There's going to be three other people, so I imagine at least 30GB would be a good idea, and 60GB would be very nice. I don't know what kind of internet users they are yet (I would class myself as HEAVY), and I don't know whether we'll be wanting a phone-line as well.

Contract length might be an issue as well, virgin do student broadband which is a 9 month contract, but is a bit more expensive. The normal 60GB package is apparently half price for 6 months with a phone-line, but is for 18 months. Me and the two other others who have put a deposit down are starting 2/3 year courses so I would be surprised if none of us also stayed here next year.

Has anybody had problems with any kind of fair usage policy with virgin? And how is their customer service? And any other providers to check out apart from Virgin and BT?
  • I've never had an issue but think they can throttle you during peak time.

Customer service is hit and miss depending on whether you get through to India or UK (Newcastle I think). UK teams have always been great but India suffers from script reading.
  • That's absolutely the experience I've had so far with ISP customer service. TalkTalk were really fucking bad, they outright lied to me many many times about their FUP (they said there was none), but when I finally got through to a UK technician all became clear (mostly).
  • Virgin are just as bad as anyone, with foreign-based call centres populated by non-English-speaking staff who read off scripts but don't appear to understand either what they're reading or the responses that they receive.  My strategy these days (when it's absolutely necessary to call them) is to ensure that I get put through to the tech support call centre in the UK so that I can have a proper conversation about the issue with someone who has a fucking clue what's going on.
  • I've found Virgin OK the couple of times I've had to phone them, you do hear some horror stories though. As far as I understand things, their big advantage was fibre - if you can get that in your area from BT, it becomes a decision based on price.
  • Virgin are pretty solid although I'm thinking of calling up and squeezing some more out of them as I don't think I'm getting VFM. Was down for the 'free' doubling of speed in July, however they upped my tariff by an extra £3.50 and then delayed this upgrade till '2013'. Been with them for about five years and am always envious when I see what new customers are offered.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I'm hopefully moving soon, so I'll be keeping tabs on this thread. 

I'm currently with Sky, getting their free 10mb which ends up being 3/4mb. I've had Virgin fibre optic in the past and would happily use them again, but it's a cost thing. I'm currently paying £85 or so on Sky tv, so I don't want to be forking out for my broadband too.
  • bt if you can afford it

virgin if you can't
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    It varies by region. Virgin are running pretty decent cable out here, and their packages beat rival offerings if you want TV included.
  • Virgin CS have been superb. Spoke to some genuinely lovely Scottish people.

The one time we had a problem, we had an engineer round the next day.

Speeds are blistering and rock solid. I'm in N Bristol.

Will never leave them. Sky were cheap but awful.
  • @webbins give them a call. Am sure they'll do you a deal. I got 100mb upgrade and Sky HD channel upgrade for current price.
  • Nice work, did you go with the 'I'm thinking of leaving' line?

Currently on 10meg BB and L telly (non-HD) for forty notes, I can do better, especially as I'm probably on a rolling contract.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    MattyJ wrote:
    or UK (Newcastle I think).

Indeed. I have a friend who works there. He says it's shit (the product, not the job, but I suspect that is as well).
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    In comparison to what Mid? I'd take the Virgin fibre optic cable over the Sky copper wire shite any day.

I need to check if BT are getting round to fitting fibre optic round my way yet.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Not the speed so much, but the restrictions on usage, price, uptimes, support when (not if) it goes wrong etc.

The only people I see with a good word to say about BT Broadband are those on the Infinity fibre optic, and only then it seems because of the speed. I wouldn't touch them for ADSL with a bargepole.
  • Webbins wrote:
    Nice work, did you go with the 'I'm thinking of leaving' line?

Currently on 10meg BB and L telly (non-HD) for forty notes, I can do better, especially as I'm probably on a rolling contract.
    Our old V plus box died. Rang them to ask for an engineer, got chatting. Really easy. Got TiVo while I was there too.
‹ Previous123

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!