Raspberry Pi
  • Cheers nOface I had a look at that but I can't see what he's typing and get completely stuck at that point.

I did manage to download the little 2d platformer game with the linux penguin. I'm working on getting MAME running but with all guides Linux based they basically assume you know everything before you look at the guide.

I'll try XBMC when I buy a new SD card.
    The next generation doesn't start until MAG comes out. 

PSN: Naemuckle
    STEAM: Naemuckle
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Running XBMC on it at my house.  Awesome little thing.

Didn't think it'd have the grunt for that, swish. Have you connected it to an external USB HDD or something?
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Just got my case today. Bit rattled but alright for a fiver.

• beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    Running XBMC on it at my house.  Awesome little thing.
    Didn't think it'd have the grunt for that, swish. Have you connected it to an external USB HDD or something?

Nah just has a 16gb SD card in it, enough to run the software.  It is a tiny bit laggy on XBMX eden, but for the most part it's fine.  Our movies are obviously on another server, and it can struggle a little on larger 1080p files but 720p and below its ideal.  Our house is on it's 2nd pie though, the first one over heated so we keep it outside of any home made case now as just a sexy little chip board.
    XBOX: Kurt Russel
    PS3: Air_Hair_Lair
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Nah just has a 16gb SD card in it, enough to run the software.  It is a tiny bit laggy on XBMX eden, but for the most part it's fine.  Our movies are obviously on another server, and it can struggle a little on larger 1080p files but 720p and below its ideal.  Our house is on it's 2nd pie though, the first one over heated so we keep it outside of any home made case now as just a sexy little chip board.

Tasty stuff, nicely done.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Just bought the raspberry pi book written by upton. I'll post some of the useful things at a later date as well as games you can download onto your pi. It seems well written so far but I've only read the first couple chapters. 

Ordered a second sd card to try out xmbc.

Does anyone know a good compatible USB hub? One I can also power the pi with using a USB to micro USB cable.

• beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I've raspberry pi's sat off doing nothing. I've got some memcards sorted in a basket waiting for payday. Not bad found a 64gig for less than 30notes I believe. If that works, its a class 10 it's the torrent machine. Set up a 16gig XBMC. ssh into the bastards to keep media moving across the network.

+1 on the KB mod.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • RaginScotsman
    Show networks
    PSN
    Psychoboy1
    Steam
    RaginScotsman

Send message
    Where did everyone order theirs from? I ordered mine from RS Online and have been told it could be up to 13 weeks! Thinking I should just cancel and ebay it.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I've had Pi's off of both. Got 'em on the pre-order though, what about you?
  • I've just got an email telling me there's going to be a 5 week delay in sending mine. I've already been waiting 12 weeks.
  • NONE OF YOU HAVE DONE ANYTHING THAT IS REMOTELY INTERESTING WITH THIS YET
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    My mate has hooked his up to his lego nxt(?) set and has a robot driving around via keyboard, cept it's on wires.

He doesn't post here. We'd scare him.
  • That's good. Now tell him to add a webcam and stream the robot's view live over the internet.

Then set it on a robot kill spree. Killing other robots, that is.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    beano wrote:
    My mate has hooked his up to his lego nxt(?) set and has a robot driving around via keyboard, cept it's on wires. He doesn't post here. We'd scare him.

Then break into his house and get pictures, dammit.

I mean, obtain entry legally. With his permission.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Included are links to his blog posts, (can't embed vimeo here can we @petey ?) no doubt he'll see the referral and come poking in here, (Hey David!) so please be excellent and he may even sign up! I know this sort of geekery isn't everyone's cup of tea but this is the Pi thread damn it!

http://www.flypig.co.uk/?page=list&list_id=363&list=blog

http://www.flypig.co.uk/?page=list&list_id=368&list=blog

PS - I was wrong about the wires- I just got confused with the extensive cabling.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    That's fabulous.

Also, bonus points for using Python.
  • RaginScotsman
    Show networks
    PSN
    Psychoboy1
    Steam
    RaginScotsman

Send message
    Thats ridiculously cool (in the nerdiest possible way).

Anyone got any tips for learning python? I've been using this site  http://www.codecademy.com and it seems pretty good at teaching slowly. Also has a points system to fool my brain into thinking I'm gaming (yay!) and not learning (ewww!)
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    The main python doc stuff is pretty good id say, and has tutorials

Obviously you should all man up and use a proper language though
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    C is the manliest of languages, I believe. You definitely want some compilation in there, and it's far easier to write conspicuous bugs.
  • It's almost definitely overkill to start learning that just to mess around on this thing.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I'd agree with monkey. But then I agree with muzzy too.

Certainly get into to Python. It's adopted here by some researchers as it easier to build and deploy applications despite the performance trade-off that you inherit from python (nearly typed psygnosis?!).
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    C is the manliest of languages, I believe. You definitely want some compilation in there, and it's far easier to write conspicuous bugs.

Well... At least you're not advocating C++... Or Perl. : P
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Perl lolz.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I wasn't really advocating it as a language to learn from (much though it's purity is probably a useful thing to learn from), I mainly want you badgers to feel the pain I go through from 9-5 every day!

Oh yes, and PERL too. And python when I've been a good boy.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    It's certainly up there when it comes to understanding what high-level languages are doing within their methods.

For example a simple service written in C# that allows me to take over Windows box as SYSTEM before anyone has logged-in (service previously installed ofc.) can be 3lines whereas in C++ I stopped implementing at 40 lines and decided I needed to read more or give up. No points for guessing which I chose. Actually something I should finish.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I want to learn C, but I need a reason. There are very few in it's favour these days...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!