The Joy of CEX (and other brick 'n' mortar establishments)
‹ Previous1234567121
  • So I buy a used copy of Fable 2, get it home insert disc and find that it's scratched to buggery.  Noted their return policy of within 48hrs or else, no refund, only store credit.  Guy in store can't find another copy, so offers to 'clean' the disc with his miraculous scratch-removing machine. (Presumably a J-cloth) Politely decline and march to alternative CEX store to exchange credit for another disc. Ain't tested it yet....

I'm not suggesting they test every disc belonging to trade-in customers, cos that'd take too long, but surely some sort of random checking of especially older titles might suffice.?  Why wilfully place defective 2nd goods on yer shelves and risk customer alienation?  And does the fact that these are used goods effect your statutory rights to get a full cash refund? (wots the score in other stores?)
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • I guess it's a trade off.

Is it worth their time to check used copies of games worth nearly nothing when they can just let you do the testing and return the item. 

You'll be back, just you watch...
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    The only time I've taken a disc back (Blockbuster) they cleaned it and it was fine.

Top Top: If you get a 360 game and it looks a bit scratched install it. That reads every part of the disc it needs whilst copying to HDD. As long as that works you should never get a "Cannot Read Disc" message half way through the game.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Yup Mod, I did the same with a scratched to shit Virtua Tennis 3 a few years back. Took two cleans of the disc and three attempts to install but eventually it worked.
  • It's the one thing that blu ray has been really useful for, they do seem scratch resistant.
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    Why wilfully place defective 2nd goods on yer shelves and risk customer alienation?  And does the fact that these are used goods effect your statutory rights to get a full cash refund? (wots the score in other stores?)

Do you think a store with probably minimal staff has time to test every single game that gets traded in.

They could give you a refund and you're entitled to one but I've never personally seen a disc too scratched up to be repaired. So seems like they would rather give it a couple of minutes in their machine and have it all clean and sparkling for you than lose a sale. Can't blame them for that.
  • There's just something really depressing about CEX. It's barely a step up from smack convertors and there's a disproportionate amount of films starring wesley snipes on offer. All those used mobiles.
    Ps4:MrSpock1980J     XBL-360: Jadgey      
    Things are looking up for my penis.
  • Yup, CEX has quite the great gathering of the unwashed too.
    ZMM wrote:
    Do you think a store with probably minimal staff has time to test every single game that gets traded in

@ZMM - I'm not suggesting that.  Please examine the OP.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Big new CEX just opened in Glasgow city centre recently. First in this city methinks. Still having travelled the country and set foot in many other branches, I'd have to say I couldn't really give a fuck.

rancid concession

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I asked to check the disc before buying a game once. The look on his face was like i'd asked for my dick to be pumped.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • Ahahaha
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I think with some people they take it as questioning their professionalism. Since most check the quality of discs before they're taken in.

Still, reasonable request.
  • I once bought a game from Cex - turned out I already owned it (duh!) but when I tried to trade it in again (unopened) they refused it on the basis that the disc wasn't up to scratch.
    W h a t  t h e  f u c k!?
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    That's asking for a petrol bomb trade in through the window.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    How the fuck can you buy a game you already own and not realise it? Unless you have some Memento style spaz disease.
  • Kow wrote:
    How the fuck can you buy a game you already own and not realise it? Unless you have some Memento style spaz disease.

Guy Pearce would fucking kill you for saying that!

If he remembered who you were...
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    You might be able to. Considering your Steam profile says you have thousands of games.
  • Kow wrote:
    You might be able to. Considering your Steam profile says you have thousands of games.

Yup. Are you jealous?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Oh yeah. I mean no. I'm not sure how you managed to put the best part of a 1000 hours into football manager games. I don't think I've put that many hours into all the games I've ever played combined.
  • Kow wrote:
    Oh yeah. I mean no.

Journo account. I have to buy the occasional game, but 90% of the things I would ever play are already there for me.
  • I remember buying turok from there back in the day and it didn't work sobibtook it back and they wouldn't let me try the new one they were giving me! The new one worked fine though.
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    @ZMM - I'm not suggesting that.  Please examine the OP.

Your OP is heavy with the scent of moronicity.  Witness:
    Blocks100 wrote:
    I'm not suggesting they test every disc belonging to trade-in customers, cos that'd take too long, but surely some sort of random checking of especially older titles might suffice.?  Why wilfully place defective 2nd goods on yer shelves and risk customer alienation? 

Perhaps they do and the one you bought wasn't one of them.  Why does that mean they're wilfully placing defective goods on the shelves?
  • I have used CEX since they opened, the one in Harrow is always staffed by indie drop outs and it is a dank horrible cave. But they give the best trade-in prices and they also have the most sane 2nd hand pricing I have seen so far.
    I always ask to check the disc before they box it up and they are fine with that. I was under the impression from the staff at my store that the 48hrs money back return is a no quibble return, so basically, for any reason. They always tell me I have a 30 day guarantee on the disc, if it wont read, when I buy off them.

I really don't care if the shop looks like a crack den staffed by extras from Gotham City Impostors, I don't go there for the ambience and a croissant.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Re: defective disks
    They could eyeball each disk. That would take fuck all time.

Although CEX is one step above a market stall. No one really has that much right to complain since they should know what they're getting into when they step into one of those piss-ridden hell holes.
  • Staff at mine check each disc visually as they run it through their system, they have also rejected one off me while doing this.

They are very strict on BluRay trade-ins though, even if they are slightly scratched they will reject them.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    I'd rather a second hand shop be a second hand shop than the ultra corporate gleam of GAME where they give you £20 for a week old disc then stick it back on the shelf for two quid less than a new copy and five quid more than an online one.
  • HMV is the only place I go now. 
    In Brum, the Blockbuster has a shit selection. Basically the top 10 and that's it. 
    The sole remaining Game still hasn't dropped their policy of pestering people to fuck from the minute they walk in the door. 
    And CEX is CEX. 

At HMV you get left alone to look through a decent selection of new and 2nd hand games in a tolerable environment.
  • Ive never used HMV for trades, can you redeem it against anything in store? Like CDs? I like CDs I dont always listen to stuff when I download it but I give CDs the time.
  • Yep, you can spend the value you get for your games on anything in HMV. And yep, we tend to have pretty good trade in prices.

Re:scratched discs. If people come to me looking to trade in a scratched game, they get the lower, "non-mint" value, then £1 taken off to cover the disc repair. Their own fault if they play Xbox in a fucking barn.
  • Also, if anyone has any HMV related questions, much like I do on twitter with the gang, I'd be happy to at least try and help.
  • Is the company still run by that little dog?

regards

g.man
‹ Previous1234567121

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!