Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Where were you?! You're owed a word for Shoeless One's bike money theft.
  • Apologies, I'll try and be about for the next session. Hoping to give Marduk/Jaycee a run out in Tag, move away from the Lili 3/4 drumming I do now.
    "In the long run, if you play solid, you'll be a more solid player." Aris Bakhthanians
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Marduk's a bit mince, really. Are you not keen on the Kings?
  • Yeah I guess, I'll have a play about, shame about Duk, he was the only thing I liked about SFxT...
    "In the long run, if you play solid, you'll be a more solid player." Aris Bakhthanians
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    There's a good fighting game tournament going on here at i46. Well I say good, I really have no idea how big these things usually are but I just thought i'd say how much I love the atmosphere and community that groups of fighting game fans seem to have. Watching this MVC 3 tournament was the best spectator session i've had here so far. Much better than the CoD lark.

IMAG0452.jpg

I don't play fighting games so a friend was filling me in. But the grand final winner was using Zero to pretty much infinitely combo people. He dropped it a few times though, and his opponent started doing the same thing with the guy from Bionic Commando! Was riveting.
  • The brillantly named new anime fighter Under Night:In-birth, from the company behind melty blood. I like the character designs, and the impact when hitting dudes. Looking forward to this one.

• Escape! GGs to max man! Was good to finally play after all these years.

A full write up is coming later, busy right now, but shout outs to your Lee and the juggle reset, baek and that sidestep flamingo launcher and your pocket raven and the knees of doom!
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Good times were had.

Roujin wrote:
    baek and that sidestep flamingo launcher

FLA u/f+3's as punishable as a paedo on its own, but it's nifty for hopping over lows and evading tracking moves out of a sidestep cancel. I only do it for the angry Orson, really. Raahah!

'There is a California coffee by Gay Paul... inspired by that same French excellence.'

I tried to make Raven into Robot Detective K. He's a lot of fun, actually. A few buffs and he'd entertain us at tournaments.

Oh, and the headset's working! The 20-odd included Moon booklets weren't up to much, but the online guide I dug up later put me right. Turns out I didn't realise you have to hold the console's button in. The PS3 pairs from the XMB, so I was fumbling in the dark. Umpteenth time.

In Street Fighter IV news, I'm somewhat less effective than Jim Davidson at a WI cheese and wine. I'm getting blown up by the majority of players, and barely scraping past the patently bad ones. Block strings are doing me in: there's a gap, so I press a button... nothing happens. I wait for the next gap and press a li'l bit later: Reversal, do not pass Go.

I've had such low lag confidence I've thrown out anti-airs in reaction to nothing. Because if I wait to see a jump-in, I'm afraid of trading at best. So I jack-in-the-box me health down to Embarrassment. Especially with Viper, where it's half-life after one mistake. I haven't won a match with her yet.

If I'm to keep playing, I think I need to learn a character with long-range footsie pressure. Rog has good range, but he can't creep forward with charge - you have to dash forward to be close enough to afford the pushback. Everyone seems to be catching me on the way in, using characters that don't sacrifice combo ability by playing a tip-toe footsie game. Bison has great pokes, but that's all, unless he gambles and commits. (Or has charge for LK SK.)

I dunno... bit salty at the minute. I feel like picking Blanka and mad-mashing bare-hop Leccy.
  • Sounds like you're giving people too much respect.

Rog has great normals, don't worry about losing charge if you want to walk up on someone. Walk up, sweep, then charge when they are knocked over. Simplistic I know, but most people online will just collapse if you apply enough normal pressure.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I should rock st.MP more, I can tell you that. It's always tempting to camp under cr.HP, but that's an invitation for a 50:50 if you're seen to prefer holding charge.

I never feel unpredictable enough in 2D games. And yet through risk aversion, I am a very basic, readable Rog. Time for a run through the cast.
  • Unpredictability is not really a requirement for 2D fighters IMO, just look at Mr. Umehara. You know he's going to go to cr.mk into hadoken all day. Risk aversion is good, the less 'mistakes' you make, the less chance your opponent has to score damage. I think Balrog works well in that defensive style. If you want someone with good dash in and mixup potential try Makoto.

As promised here is my write up from the clash of the titans the other night! First of all dude don't worry about repetition, if it works, use it, I saw plenty of throws, but I failed to bhreak 99% of them so that's on me, likewise you saw plenty of Jacks db1 and f2! I'm not one for getting salty if I keep getting beaten by the same tactic (unless it was SFxT which for some reason brought about the most unholy rage I've ever experienced playing online).

I have to say, watching your Lee and Baek was a pleasure. I love THAT Lee juggle and was just as gutted as you when you missed the reset in the Azezels game. Same for Baek, you had some really good wall carries and wall punishment on hand. I was dreading the matches in walleed arenas against him by the end of the night haha! Also I have to acknowledge your pocket Raven, again for awesome juggles, I love Raven's knee, one of my favoutite looking moves in the game, it makes any juggle look awesome.

As for myself, a mixed bag I feel. Having only really played with Jack since coming back he was the only one I felt comfortable with when on the defensive or offensive. He cab't step to save his life though, which can make life hard if people get in his face, hence my near constant use of db1 and f2 to try and keep you at arms length. I think I did best overall with Jack, while I made some good reads with Drag it's only because Drag has grabs that are really hard to break by virtue of having 4 seperate standing grabs from the front alone, not including his other command stuff like the tackle (which as you saw many times, I am very rusty with the spacing!) and counter hit throw stuff. Jack has the tools to play at the kind of ranges where you were looking to dash in with Lee and Raven for the knees/slides. However once you get inside that, as demonstrated by Baek the flamingo side step launcher of doom, Jack really struggles unless you throw out something he can punish with a 1,1. 

So Dragunov then. An old main (I don't want to blow my own trumpet but I once repped a top 100 Drag, so the mighty have indeed fallen here), but one that I need to get up to speed with because I dont think after Saturday's performance, an all Jack team will be able to halt the quicker members of the cast on their own. In the last 2 years I have forgotten pretty much everything. There were no juggles on display, I completely forgot the combos involving f1+2 and qcf1 for massive damage and was reliant only really basic stuff like 1,2,1 (thank fuck this string is so godlike) throw punishment and using Drags awesome tech roll catching stuff like ff2 and d4,4. He will be thoroughly dusted off for Tag 2 and the Dragunov/Jack team is back on.

Wang? Well back in T6 I got bored of losing to Lars and Alisa online and wanted to troll people with a 108 year old man, who was dressed like an old man in his massively out of date suit and flat cap combo. I did know his ins and outs once. But had largely forgotten them. There is supposed to be a full juggle followup for one of his hopkicks but I comnpletely forgot it so all you saw was me fishing for that juggle and then going blank hahahaha. Shout outrs to his standing nmoves that have crush properties though, so funny watching people's moves getting ignored at point blank range while they eat an old man fist to stomach. 

Ganryu, again, for my sins I learned him a long time ago to troll because no one like to lose to a fat guy. He's deffo one of the most underrated cha\racters in the game. He has a short moveset so is easy to learn, but he hits like a fucking train. Oh and the d+2 infinite can be used to generate massive rage online if people don't know you have to block low. He has garnered many a rage quit in his time. I had forgotten all his stuff though.

Top games were had though and I'm glad your mic is sorted out. Tekken Tuesday anyone?

Oh also Escape I am gutted that we cannot online co-op[ against fools, however you would be more than welcome at the next Mordor Mashup where we could get our local co-op vs everyone else there who hates tekken or the online population. IF nothing else, we'll always have the Bear and Badger team/clan/guild/whatever on the WTF to rep with pride to the masses. I am still holding out hope for online co-op further down the line in the future if we are lucky.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Thanks for taking the time, player. Couple of quick thoughts...

I dont think after Saturday's performance, an all Jack team will be able to halt the quicker members of the cast on their own.

He's a good character, but his mobility demands knowledge of the entire cast. Nimbler characters can often wing it online.

Drags awesome tech roll catching stuff like ff2 and d4,4.

You were telling me to squeal like a pig with that stuff; I couldn't get back up!

Online co-op: do you live anywhere near Pez? I reckon the best we can do is 2-on-1 if he's somewhat local. I was dreaming of teaming up with Rock's Yoshi against you pair; PS3 OG. Totally gutted.
  • Not really close enough to Pez for regular co-op but next Mordor I'll see if we can organise a local me and pez vs you.

I miss rock.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Ooh, that sounds good. Maybe I could appear as a virtual guest on the vid.

I'll go and invite Rock back. He might be keen if he can find some time.
  • Had a bit of Dragunov practice last night. Once again thanks to all the time spent in 2D land my QCF and wave dashing inputs are much quicker and more consistant. This is pretty good as some of Drag’s best maoves/damage come off QCFs and out of his wave dashy special step thing.

As a result I can land the following with decent consistency if the opponent doesn’t quick roll to the foreground to background – qcf1, b1+2, qcf2, qcf2, d2, wr4, d44. However, everything after the first qcf2 is not guaranteed since you can quick roll out. But hey, when it works, it looks fucking sweet. Oh and it’s probably 60% life. The downside is that qcf1 is high, boo. I can swap qcf with qcb2, which is a mid, but needs you to be at point blank for it to connect.

I also remembered his super awesome evading strike or whatever it’s called. During sidestep input ub2 and he takes another step before throwing out a reasonably safe high poke. The great thing about this is because he steps twice you end up with your opponent being side turned, making grabs harder to break. On counterhit it causes a knockdown, on block you can follow up with a grab attempt, if they read it and crouch you can follow up with his low grab.

I think for Tag2 I’m going to run with Dragunov on point he has way better mobility, knockdown and launcher options than Jack imho. Then tag in Jack for juggles as he has much better options for carrying people to the wall, or ending a juggle with horrendous knockback to splat them on walls from distance, giving you time to run in and keep the pressure on.

Escape, Pez, anyone else who likes the manliest fighting game ever (not including HNK) fancy some Tekken Tuesday action?
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Sorry, I wasn't in tonight. Hopefully we can round up some heads for the weekend.
  • Yeah man I'm up for a good session at the weekend. Will have a more useful Dragunov for you to play with by then at least!
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    Not really close enough to Pez for regular co-op but next Mordor I'll see if we can organise a local me and pez vs you. I miss rock.

This thread is officially awesome now. Still not online though... I don't even have an Xbox right now. - :  ( - But like the sound of this.

As for your recent games, vids, or it didn't happen...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Baek had one cup of tea and one cup of coffee. But if Roujin gets too good it won't be tea or coffee - it'll be red wine, and it won't be drank - it'll be thrown.
  • The weekend is upon us once more, Escape I demand moar Tekkanz. 

When are you free old bean? I have a slightly less poo Dragunov I would like to put to the test against your collection of fast kicking badmen.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    @Roujin @dynamiteReady @Cherry_Pez @Escape @RockIsSponge

Either night's good. Peoples?

If it's okay, I wouldn't mind a bit more Lee action? My distance perception for wall splats wasn't there last week. Too late and you lose his high-damage follow-ups, but too early and you kick 'em out of range. Mist cancel 2~3 and d/f+3,2,3 are quite picky about their angles of splat.

I could just go for a trad Bound, but where's the fun in that. Unless you end on a f~F+3 or a f+2,1 to buy enough time for the rose...
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Street Fighter things would be much the richer with Beavis and Butt-Head on comms. Witness.
  • Tonight's good with me if its good for you.

Lee was included in the fast kicking badmen group so its all good man. Luckily I don't have those kind of wall splat issues, drag has limited carry and splat options for the end of juggles, 213 d44 only but both are hard to hit after a long juggle, so I don't worry about it. If they work, gtreat, if I drop the juggle I just ready to time a WS1+2 or other oki punisher.

Jack can just splat people from half screen, his only problem is being fast enough to catch the opponent before they reach the floor!
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Roujin - come back! Missed you by 15 minutes.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Sorry for the lack of convo, man - I was really struggling to hear you; felt like I was on a building site. And like I said - every 'jesus christ!', 'rubbish!' and 'what are you doing?!' was aimed at me; usually while I stood there watching a punish window stroll by. Definitely not my best night, but at least I went a back-2 farther down Lee's reset road.

Jack's a robo-bastard! For some unknown reason I was trying to interrupt your strings. Well, I say unknown - it's 'cause a lot of his moves have blockstun for days, but it was daft of me to attempt counters when they're neutral on block.

Raven does have a more damaging combo for Jack (and non-Bear Bigs) if he Bounds after the first knee, but it's a much harder juggle than his two-knee BnB. And that's nice damage anyway.

I hope I can sort out a better mic soon. I've an old wireless, but I hate the loop, so I removed that and held it to my ear under a thin beanie. A sweatband's a better idea. I should be getting one of the Mk IIs, modded with a 3.5 jack to plug in a mono earbud with a clip-on mic. So portable (gonna wear the headset around my neck like a pendant), but with my choice of buds or cans.

We want you back, Pez, Ready and anyone else! I can do tomorrow and Tuesday.

[edit]

Incoming volume was fine, and Party Chat was a big improvement over in-game, but the quality was really sketchy. Maybe I'll try hosting again next time.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Oh, fuck me - the coffee sidestep!

I had the coffee sidestep. And then Raven's Haze onto jumpin' Jack. That's my kind of Tekken.

Also, I liked how respectfully quiet you were during Lee's juggles. I thought we were at the snooker.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Escape wrote:
    Also, I liked how respectfully quiet you were during Lee's juggles. I thought we were at the snooker.

Hahaha!

I've had that thought in mind for quite sometime. : )

I definitely want to see you in action Manny... You're the most dedicated Iron Fist advocate here, and one of my more memorable times online, was when Roujin joined me and my mates (of varying abilities - remember that Eddy, Rou? - :} - thank fuck he didn't stay long...) in a T6 sesh...

I'm currently on wireless though...
    But I could make an effort to get on XBL one weekend, given a day or two for notice...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Hahaha yeah, quiet because its hard to speak when your jaw is on the floor!

Epic games again. Highlight was Baeks 50% juggle followed by a sip of coffee and an elegant sidestep as Jack hopelessly bundled through looking for the shoulder charge. I really shit myself any time your Baek starts moving to the side, or your Lee is sitting at that diving sweep range.

Rickay! Sorry I still don't have any live codes mate, hopefully we can get together for a three way badger shitfuck soon. I remember that Eddy well, funnily enough...

Much more comfortable with Drag again after some practice last week. Wasn't fumbling around searching for moves. Need to work on his juggles though, have a stock juggle in hand but the damage is piddly. Off to watch that LUYG Dragunov episode methinks.
  • I keep checking this thread thinking its about fighting games in general, but it seems you guys are taking about Tekken. No Tekken thread?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Might as well be a private conversation anyway. /snigger

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!